Figures you have that haven't aged well

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scorpibrunt, Nov 17, 2019.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do find it rather unfortunate that he and Cheetor have already become mildly outdated by the fact they don't contain an ab-crunch joint that has since become rather standard in the MP line (and is featured on Dinobot and Megatron, although Dinobot's is a bit weak).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

G1 Bristleback & Slog
    G2 Slingshot
    BW Silverbolt (the Mangaboss one)
    Energon Demolisher
    Cybertron Deluxe Unicron
    PCC Leadfoot
    PCC Huffer
    PCC Skyhammer
    Universe 1.0 Tankor
    Universe 1.0 Stockade
    ROTF Mixmaster
    ROTF Scalpel
    HFTD Insecticon
    All are either GPS, cracked plastic around pins or cracked ball joint sockets. :(  Sad thing is, I'm probably missing some.

• Like Like x 1
  3. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

you sure? I've heard a few say he looks like an up-scaled version of the Classics one....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scorpibrunt

Scorpibrunt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Earthrise
    [​IMG]
    Classics

• Like Like x 6
  5. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd say most of the Megatron figures I have owned haven't aged well such as Henkei, ROTF voyager and leader class, DOTM voyager, and Studio Series Leader class.

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

It depends what people mean when they say "up-scaled". As the pictures show, all the pieces are new. Sculpting is new. They didn't take the old mold and stretch it out or anything.
    But it is the same character turning into the same general thing, and it appears to transform very similarly. Ideas from the old figure were evidently used to make the new, larger one. I think for a lot of folks, that's what they mean by "up-scaled".
    It's not the word I would've used for it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Powerbomb

Powerbomb Nearly done?

Now that is just a minor quibble, IMO. I can live without them in primal and cheetor as they're older models...and smaller figures than Megatron & Dinobot. And they're still excellent designs... with slightly different budgets (and sizes) from the more recent figures.

But I hope that future releases do have an ab crunch, if it is possible to stuff it in while maintaining show accuracy... But Optimus and cheetor aren't missing much without the articulation you (l assume other people would) want.

8. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of bummed he may no longer have waist rotation, but happy he's an F-15 again.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can say a number of things haven't aged well in terms of articulation and certain details... but at the same time I still respect certain design elements on the older things that just have not been adequately replicated in an updated fashion. I still like and display my Henkei Prime and Megatron as my primary versions of those characters, not because they aged well but because they have more design cues I enjoy more than any other iterations since.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah I have to agree with the main point that Siege Starscream is not outdated by ER Starscream. For one Siege Starscream has way better articulation and range of motion. While this may not change preference it certainly does NOT make him outdated.

Now Voyager Siege Optimus being outdated by ER Optimus, yeah I can definitely see that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those were kinda terrible right out of the gate to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scorpibrunt

Scorpibrunt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See, my problem is that I like Siege Optimus' robot mode better but Earthrise Optimus has a better truck mode, the trailer, Matrix, and finger articulation. It's going to be hard for me to pick once the Earthrise one arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It could be me, but ER looks like the wings have a hinge to fold back. If so that instantly improves that design 110%

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why not great to play ? Are these the T30 version ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I can see that being the case.

16. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    They are the T30 version. The articulation is so limited and getting to stay standing upright can be a struggle. My main complaint is the arms. They are frustrating when you compare them to others in the same line (e.g. Scoop) or the newer molds.

17. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I didnt buy a CW Opimus until SND came out with the Primo Vitalis kit for it to make it an IDW Prime. Really makes a world of difference for that figure. I bought the Primo XMortis kit to make the white one into a Nova Prime as well.

You took the words out of my mouth on this one. The stuff we have been getting in the Siege line really ups the game on so many of the other figures in my collection.

As for my choice for a figure that didnt age very well, I would say energon Omega Supreme. I remember loving that figure but when I put it next to my current figures, its just silly looking.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Some of the T30 figures haven't aged well IMO. Figures like Orion Pax, bomber Megatron, Blitzwing and Skids feel cheap(loose shoulder on my Skids copy for some reason). They're better than the Prime RID toys from 2012-2013. It was a weird time where some figures that should've been voyagers at the very least, were deluxes instead. Also I absolutely hate the use of PVC on big parts such as the radome on Blitzwing/Doubledealer and the faces on Blitzwing. 1 big reason I much prefer the Titans Return Blitzwing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Titans Return Megatron. The lack of a painted face killed it from the beginning.
    Titans Return Galvatron. Same problem as Megatron.

Titans Return Broadside. I'd have preferred a Titanmaster based on his comic book head. The jet mode is poorly designed and does he always have to be an aircraft carrier?

Titans Return Soundwave. The visor needs to be narrower and not yellow. Makes him too cartoony.
    Combiner Wars Windcharger. Too small and not a patch on the POTP toy.

Titans Return Scourge. I love the alt mode but the head was terrible.
    Titans Return Krok. His knees just don't support him.
    Siege Megatron. Something about the head bugs me and his ankle is loose.

POTP Rodimus Prime. Weak ankles.
    Movie Voyager Bludgeon. Head looked terrible from the start.
    Siege Ultra Magnus. The cab looks half transformed when separated from the trailer.
    POTP Nemesis Pax. Same as Siege Ultra Magnus.

POTP Dinobots. All the dinosaur modes look poor and they're too small.
    Masterpiece Ravage. How can it be considered a Masterpiece if you can't open and close his mouth.

Device Label Tigatron mold. I've had all 3 versions of this mold and while the robot modes look great, the lower jaw may as well be made from gold plastic.

CW Hot Rod. Too small and the spoiler can't be mounted on his back.

Titans Return Alpha Trion. Again, a modern beast former that can't open and close it's mouth. Plus Alpha Trion is a horrible cliche of a character that I wish the franchise would drop along with Orion Pax.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  20. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I pulled my blitzwing from storage a couple days ago and his shoulder joints seized up something fierce. Much tighter than I ever remember on an already poorly designed shoulder system. I do still regret removing the spring that keeps the head up. I remember that being a semi popular mod from some here and I never managed to tighten the head enough that it didnt sink right back into the chest.