Figures you have that haven't aged well

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scorpibrunt, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Scorpibrunt

Scorpibrunt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, what are some figures you have that haven't aged well in light of a superior version out there in your opinion? I'll start with one:
    CW Optimus Prime: I did enjoy him but I think he isn't really compatible with other 5 mm weapons due to his arm design. I (if I remember correctly; it's been a while since I played with him) also sometimes had trouble getting truck mode to stay together, mostly where the arms and legs tab in and where the combiner chest doors close to store the combiner head and... waist assembly
    With Siege Optimus however I have had neither of these problems.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    Classics megatron: his gun mode is a nerf gun and he just has really weird proportions like a pre war megatron.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Classics prime
    Tr megatron
    Foc brutics
    Siege starscream
    Generations wheeljack

• Like Like x 3
  4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

G1 Ironhide. Lol. He was obsolete in 1984 the moment the G1 cartoon hit the air.

All kidding aside, with the improved articulation and...generally...more solid construction we've seen with Siege, most CHUG figures that came before it are feeling kind of outdated.

• Like Like x 6
  5. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

I would say the majority of Cybertron and Animated figures hold up great, if not better in some regards than later lines. But one aspect about them that feels dated is articulation.

not that either line was lacking in articulation more so that the articulation they have feels rather clunky. Joints may not have the fullest of range or enough clearance to really get expression out of them. It feels most prominent in this era of Siege and new MPs where figures have the most poseability that they’ve ever had.

• Like Like x 2
  6. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

Skids/Crosscut. Essential figures for my Lost Light shelf, but they are not great to play with, especially compared to Prime Wars and Siege.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

I don't think figures don't "age" really, I just think my enjoyment just changes. Like pcc huffer, sure he ain't as good as a modern figure but he has charm and is the chad of small transformers

• Like Like x 3
  8. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    weird proportions i guess i can understand, but how does having weird proportions make him look like a pre war megatron?

9. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I have to agree Classics Megatron has not aged as well. Proportions he is ok but the wings have always bugged me and I've never really liked the gun mode. Since Siege Megatron has come out, I have replaced him on my Classics shelf. Same goes for Classics Optimus. He is still not a bad toy but the panels on his arms bug me like Meg's wings. Siege Optimus has also replaced him.

Also have to say TFU 2.0 Ratchet and Ironhide. Siege blows them out of the water.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Scorpibrunt

News Credits:
    Classics Deluxe Megatron (the one from the two pack with Optimus): the tip of his tank barrel falls off a lot, and he had that weird spinning weapon gimmick (which if I remember correctly also fell off a lot when I used the gimmick).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scorpibrunt

News Credits:
    What makes you say that regarding Starscream and Wheeljack?
    Edit: fixed spelling error

12. joncbenn

joncbenn Groovy

I’m not the original poster, and I in no way speak for them. It might be that Starscream was so hyped that it took it a few weeks or months for it to set in that Starscream is nothing more than a blocky shellformer with a chest panel that pops off if you look at it. I owned that piece of shit for 10 minutes before I returned it, Bastard didn’t even make it out of the parking lot.

13. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest, every original TFs were "aged" as they came out in the 80s. Almost all didn't have any articulation aside the arms going up and down. They were nice looking bricks though.

For actual playability at the time, the Gobots had lots of figures that had more articulation. Puzzler for example, is the absolute opposite of "age badly". He had waist rotation, elbows, hip, hands, and the hands and feet were integrated, something that very few TFs combiner ever managed to achieve.

If I had to pick something else than the original gang, I'd say the pretenders, as the shells were simply statues for most, and the internal robots were just terrible, as they all looked the same and their alt consisted for them bend over.

But in technical terms, I'd say anything that suffered from GPS. They aged so badly that they crumbled.. heck, my Millennial Falcon probably is more super glue than plastic now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Henkei Megatron in my case. Mine has noticeable yellowing and the purple Decepticon sigil on his cannon is nearly completely scratched off. I was hoping for a newer Generations gun Megatron to replace him, but I don't know how like that is....

15. Scorpibrunt

News Credits:
    The chestplate is fine on mine. What other figures haven't aged well in your opinion if I may ask?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    • Universe/Classics 2.0 Ironhide
    • Universe/Classics 2.0 Dinobot
    • Universe/Classics 2.0 Cheetor
    • Universe/Classics 2.0 Galvatron

• Like Like x 3
  17. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some older figures have a very annoying system of ratchets with to few teeth in them that makes them either stand bolt-upright or stand in an A-stance with their legs really far apart.

I suppose one could dismiss Generations Pipes and Huffer as low effort - but I actually kinda like them even if they are just Optimus Prime in another colour.

I do feel we could do with a new Version of Legends Gears, Swerve, Warpath, Pipes, Huffer, and Cosmos though sometime. It would have been nice if that had been in an era that stlll had the headmaster gimmick so they matched their friends as otherwise what would be the point of another Gears & Swerve that wasn't already addressed by the older toys.

Which leads me to wonder if perhaps they might want to make POTP style Minibots and sell them in giftsets or Select series boxes and then they can keep the seats in the design so everything matches nicely. But I'll have to see if Cliffjumper keeps any cabin space or not as if he doesn't they might be cheeky and make Legends class toys and put them in Deluxe boxes and hope no one notices.

If they are going to do that they really should at least include a Build a Figure or something like that.

As for the more general point of what needs an update I'd say Straxus does and as to the point of what hasn't ages well- That would be Titans Return Galvatron - but that toys was still a bit rubbish when it was new anyway.

18. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Earthrise starscream makes siege starscream inferior with the g1 accurate design and no war paint
    Generations wheeljack just looks weird with the cw out and the new earthrise thats coming out

• Like Like x 1
  19. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    I’d say most of Classics/Universe, as well as T30 Skids, Hoist/Trailbreaker, Roadbuster and Sky Byte. I do think that most of the characters who got molds in the T30 line, while good at time, are really in need of a new update with a more modern aesthetic and modern engineering/articulation.

I also feel this way about most of the earlier Generations figures as well. Some aged great(Warpath,Kup) some didn’t. But for me, it because Transformers has moved onto into an aesthetic that I like that they didn’t have.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In comparison to more recent 3rd party and Takara Masterpiece releases, the original car bots look out of place.

• Like Like x 2