Figures you have that aged like fine wine.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by general saberwi, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RTS Jazz
    T30 Springer and Sandstorm
    RTS/United Lugnut

• Like Like x 2
  2. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    I thought long and hard on this one. After looking at what I still had on display that hadn't been replaced by the Prime Wars and Siege, what I had left was Generations Warpath!
    20191124_220644.jpg
    Still holds up well today. Great update to the G1 character, great articulation, and solid transformation.

• Like Like x 14
  3. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i honestly think fracture/crasher has aged better than mirage. the deco is killer n the proportions, while kind of goofy on mirage, work well for "stompy power" crasher, something i never even really apppreciated until a couple months ago.

4. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Generations Warpath, Springer, Drift and Arcee.

• Like Like x 4
  5. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's really going to be very hard to top.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Razorquake

Razorquake Well-Known Member

G1 optimus is still a tremendous toy.
    Classics springer is perhaps my favourite of all time, though. Two distinct alt modes, and robot mode pose-ability thats still unrivalled.

7. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

I wish I has some Cyberjets...

• Like Like x 3
  8. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    Well, looking through some of my toys...

1. G1 Optimus Prime. They really hit it out of the park using this one for Optimus. A really nice vehicle mode, good transformation and a robot mode that's aged well. Good articulation and look, and the trailer opens up into a small playset!

2. G1 Soundwave. Fantastic play pattern with him, as the term goes. ;)  But seriously, really cool, great interaction with the micro-cassettes, and just a good toy.

3. Masterpiece-01 Optimus. If this had been the only Masterpiece toy, at least it was a great one.

4. Classics 2006 Optimus Prime. Gee, Ops is getting a lot of mentions here. ;)  Well, it is true. A really nice vehicle mode, great transformation and imposing, badass-looking robot mode. I love how the weapons are integrated into vehicle mode.

5. TF:A Prowl. He might be the best damned cycle-former we've got.

6. ROTF Ransack. So much personality. He's a friggin' World War One-era biplane! I think he's the only biplane we've ever got! And I love the little guy!

• Like Like x 5
  9. laserghost

laserghost mixtape recordicon

News Credits:
    The Laser Cycles and Laser Rods from G2 still hold up. The articulation was great for the era, and the light-up gimmick is still a fun concept. Some of them suffer from GPS, and it can be hard to find them complete, but aside from that they're a great old set.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone on TFA Prowl. Not only is he an official Deluxe with an ab cruch (how often do you see that?!), the way both his wheels end up on his calves is super elegant, not to mention it allows the toy to end up in a sick ass Naruto ninja run pose immediately after transforming it. Legends class TFP Arcee is also a good substitute for him thanks to her having a very similar transformation.

Speaking of TFP, Blot\Blight is a real nice figure with a rather unique transformation that looks and poses like a boss for his size. Come to think of it, the Prime Terrorcons were are pretty cool as a whole, even if the combined mode wasn't a lot more than an afterthought.

I also love TFP Dead End. The arguably garish color scheme works a lot for me than Wheejack's mostly white stylings, his transformation is a very fun kind of involved, his light piping was out of this world and what his articulation lacked in the waist and shoulders department he's more than made up for with the range on his neck, wrists and ankles. Oh, and it's literally impossible to make him look uncool while wielding his scimitars.

DoTM had some neat figures as well, like Voyagers Megatron and Skyhammer or Deluxe Ratchet. I also really liked the boxy, EXTREEEME '90s vibe of the Mechtech guns, though I wish more of them could stay in their "extended" modes without having to constantly press their buttons. They also work real well with Siege figures, seeing as both lines had a huge empasis on weapon ports and arming your toys to the teeth.

I've said this a million times before, but HfTD Breacher is one of my all time favorites. Complex but fun transformation, great looks in both modes, excellent articulation, just an all around fantastic little guy. I wish his design got a new figure, I'd love to see him as a deluxe or a voyager. Come to think of it, most of the scout class figures in RoTF, RTS and HfTD were amazing.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Masterpiece Grimlock. It's the oldest figure of my collection and one that I've owned the longest (since Fall 2008). Despite being undersized for the character, it's still a solid sculpt with some neat side gimmicks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Tm2 Optimus Primal
    TR Trypticon
    Prid Vechicon
    Tr Cosmos
    Tr Seaspray

13. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I would say BW Transmetal Megatron. Aside from it's obvious shortcoming of most parts eventually becoming a pile of brown dust, the concept of the figure has aged well, even if it's execution did not. Sweet looking T-Rex mode, built in VTOL mode and roller skates, articulated tail with a ball joint on every segment, and a straightforward transformation.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I agree, I would love to be able to mess around with him but figure he would just dissolve.

15. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my view very few have, but then I am extremely pedantic and fussy.

Takara versions included especially where the era of 'added Takara' improved the figure or did show acurate paint apps; not just issuing the same figure but using darker renders on the graphics/box art to give the impression of a better figure like they do these days.

Beast Wars Optimus Primal (and that is the only original bw that has)

Masterpiece Grimlock

Micron Legend MD-06 (Armada) Tidalwave in show colours.

Armada Voyager Prime

Cybertron Primus

GC-23 Galaxy Force Megalo Convoy (Cybertron Metroplex but with added Takara)

Nothing from G1 has aged well, beyond what I would consider nostalgia; albeit that doesn't detract from them at all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer D&D newbie

News Credits:
    I knew animated prowl would be one of the first ones listed as soon as I read the thread title

17. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Transmetal Rattrap
    vroom.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Most of the Cybertron line. Seriously, that line is one of the most unique and well-executed in the franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Some G1, Robotmasters and G2 toys that still hold up...

20200417_155635.jpg 20200417_155453.jpg 20200417_121032.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  20. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Deleted my first post in this thread because there was a lot that I don't agree with anymore.

My new list...

Battle Blade Bumblebee would fit in perfectly with Studio Series if he were smaller and still holds up as a solid toy in it's own right.

Battle Blades Optimus Prime is slightly clunky, but has the scale, details, and extra features to serve as a substitute Studio Series Optimus Prime.

ROTF Lockdown is timeless and fits in with almost anything.

ROTF Bludgeon is the same. Don't think I'll be needing another Bludgeon figure now that I have him.

MPM-3 Bumblebee is more recent admittedly, but I don't think he was made with access to ILM's files for character models. Even still, he fits in perfectly with other MPMs and is movie accurate, detailed, and high quality enough to earn the right to be called a "Masterpiece".

The Prime First Edition figures I have (Bumblebee, Starscream, Bulkhead, and Voyager Optimus Prime) all hold up immensely well. They're full of character and stand as the best figures of this incarnation of these children. Studio Series Optimus Prime even borrows a lot of its transformation from Voyager Prime.

PRID Arcee and Vehicon are also excellent and could blend right in with your Generations figures if you wanted.

RTS/Universe Cyclonus is still the best official Cyclonus figure around and doesn't look too out of place with modern figures.

Generations Whirl is such a weird design, and yet I could stand him next to an old Classics figure or a modern Earthrise toy and he doesn't look out of place at all.

Generations Rattrap and Rhinox are still really good and both figures do pretty much everything they need to.

A lot of the Beast Wars Transmetal figures I've experienced, but special mentions to Cheetor, Dinobot II, and Rampage.

• Like Like x 3