Figures you have that aged like fine wine.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by general saberwi, Nov 21, 2019.

1. general saberwi

general saberwi legoformer

Recently, I came across a thread talking about figures that aged poorly, so I was thinking, how about we have the opposite? What about the figures you have that aged like fine wine? Well, here we are.

For me, my first Transformers figures ever were the RID trainbots, and they still are really enjoyable figures even now. They are unmistakably not modern, but still really good figures. Same goes for Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime from that same line. I also think that the original ROTF prime, and derivatives, are better in some ways than the MPM figures, and in my opinion get 90% of the looks while being a much less frustrating figure to play with.

So, what do you think? What figures do you have in your collection that aged gracefully?

• Like Like x 3
  2. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Classics Optimus
    Animated Prowl
    Universe Ratbat
    BW Tripredacus
    Botcon Sky-Byte

I'm sure more will occur to me later

• Like Like x 9
  3. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These guys.

They could be released today and still be valid "modern".

They were some of the best engineering ever done for figures of that size, and the plastic was great. My Hooligan has been transformed probably a thousand times and it's still great. I only have had to tighten the ball joints as some point due to wear.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 31
  4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    • G1 Jetfire- you'll be hard pressed to find any mainline jet Transformer since that hides/integrates its robot parts just as well in jet mode. Plus plenty of articulation, just needs thigh swivels and universal hips for today's age but still a damn fine toy on its own 35 years after release.
    • G2 Laser Prime- the automorphing base is boss and while newer molds based on this character give it neat twists, this figure as is remains largely unsurpassed. The RTS version has the awesome wrist hinges and ankle tilts while the TR version has arguably more dynamic styling. Neither of the latter came with the awesome tanker base and have bot modes that lack the original's shelf presence.
    • Armada deluxe bendy Prime- a fully articulated Targetmaster Prime that managed to look cool and more dynamic than the larger one that could combine with its trailer
    • Animated deluxe Cybertronian Optimus Prime- one of my 1st Animated figures and left a lasting impression on me. It proved to me that the highly styalized designs of the show could be translated well to physical form yet maintain full articulation
    • Death Star Darth Vader- one of the ONLY SWTF's I like and one of the ONLY electronic gimmick Transformers I like
    • Human Alliance Bumblebee- not as accurate as the MPM but fun as fuck. The playability of this thing is very high, the most fun movie Bumblebee for me to fiddle with
    • Human Alliance Jazz- same as above but for movie Jazz and looks excellent
    • MP Grimlock- old, small, but features ability to switch eyes/visors from toon to toy and has a fluid transformation. Awesome toy, main qualm is lack of dedicated/integrated storage in dino mode.

• Like Like x 6
  5. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Legends Arcee.
    Legends Blur.
    Legends Kup.

Part of what I love about media accurate figures is that they don’t go out of style as far as I’m concerned. Any new media accurate figure still looks correct beside them.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

TR PMOP works well with siege in scale and still is applicable to most lines so he aged well with blending.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prime Vehicon
    Generations Arcee
    Generations Waspinator
    Masterpiece Laserbeak
    Classics Bumblebee
    BW (Fuzor) Silverbolt
    Lots of Animated toys

• Like Like x 2
  8. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Fall of Cybertron Shockwave. He was one of my first Transformers ever, and IMO holds up even against the Siege version in terms of presence and character. I also love his mobile artillery mode.

Also, the obligatory Animated response. I only got my first ones this year, but dang if they don't hold up against today's figures in terms of engineering! My Wingblade Optimus is my holiest of holy grails.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thought of a few more:
    • Universe/Classics 2.0 Silverbolt- solid toy all around, fluid transformation, sturdy, neat modernization for the jet mode, fun to pose in robot mode. Underrated toy IMO.
    • Beast Wars Ultra class Optimus Primal- somehow this figure maintains full articulation despite a chest beating gimmick, a mace twirling arm and retractable missle launchers. You also have the ability to switch off the arm twirling/chest beating gimmicks which is rare for any Transformer that uses gear or springs. This figure was well ahead of its time and I doubt a mainline modernization could do it justice.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DesertDog

DesertDog is a Limited Edition redeco.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    RTS Lugnut. I lucked out and found one last year after years of wanting one. So good that I still want to get the far more expensive United version as well.

G1 Ratbat. Pretty much the only G1 figure with more articulation than its Masterpiece equivalent, he can look up, down, and wiggle his feet and ears(if still present). Beat that Slackerpiece Ratbat! :D 

• Like Like x 5
  11. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Waiting for new Armada/Micron Legend figures

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Among the older figures that I currently have, I'll have to say these figures ages quite well for what they are:

• United Warpath - still quite an awesome little figure, with solid construction, fluid transformation, and the newer, more modern take on G1 Warpath makes this figure one of the only few figures that I didn't regret getting at all even if mine was the Takara United release with a quite beaten-up packaging.
    • DOTM Skyhammer- This is still one of the best helicopter TF that Hasbro/Takara has ever made; The transformation is quirky and fun to do, the alt mode is powerful looking without any robot mode kibble, fine articulation for its time, and the figure itself simply just looks awesome. Mine has already been customized, but I won't mind picking up another one later on.
    • Generations Drift- Controversial character aside, this figure packs quite a lot for a deluxe with its unique aesthetic, fluid transformation, cool alt mode, and this is one of the only few TFs that can actually poses well with both of its hands holding its katana. The only thing that holds this figure back would be the lame soft rubbery plastic "katana".

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Scorpibrunt

Scorpibrunt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Creator of "figures that haven't aged well" thread here.

Titans Return Bumblebee- Yes, there is a paint discrepancy and the vehicle mode's roof has popped off a couple times but I think he's the best G1 Bumblebee (If you want him as a minibot that is)
    Titans Return Hot Rod- The hip joints are a bit loose but he's fine otherwise. I like how you can give him Siege Firedrive or either weapon from PotP Rodimus for more G1 accuracy.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Backbeat

Backbeat Well-Known Member

This dorky Decepticon duo always makes me smile. 20191122_015439.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  14. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

- Classics/Henkei Voyager Optimus
    - The Cyberjets molds (as mentioned by imfallenangel)
    - Cybertron Sideways/Galaxy Force Noisemaze
    - Human Alliance Sandstorm
    - Classics/Henkei Mirage
    - Voyager Lugnut
    - Scout Breacher
    - Scout Skystalker
    - Scout Insecticon

• Like Like x 5
  15. rikaldomario

rikaldomario Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a lot of the T30 doesn't get the praise it should. It has a lot of figures I like quite a lot. Some stand outs are:

Springer/Sandstorm mold: there is consensus Springer is one of the best Voyagers available, but people tend to forget his weird cousin Sandstorm. To me he's an excellent update in all forms. Bonus is that he has one of the best light piping in the game, almost as good as Siege Shockwave.

Arcee: best representation of the character we've gotten and probably the best for many years to come.

Orion Pax: a Deluxe that packs a whole lot of articulation, updates the classic dorky Orion Pax look to make him look like a bad ass cop.

BW trio: they look like they jumped out of the screen and even look gret next to BW MP figures aside from the slight scale issues some may have.

Brainstorm: Simple yet elegant in all aspects. Really tall that makes him have a strong presence in the shelf. Really strong test run for modern headmasters we got in TR.

Basically all of the Legends class: So good some were repainted, new head remolded and outright re released in subsequent toylines. The Micro/Target Master partners were also excellent accesories, and IMO blend well with current Siege Micros.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    - T30 Trailbreaker
    - T30 Springer
    - T30 Sandstorm
    - All of the main Scramble City combiners from CW.
    - CW Ultra Magnus
    - TR Headmasters

• Like Like x 3
  17. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    Generations/Henkei scourge and Cyclonus- just have so much more presence compared to later releases (tr and CW respectively) and scourge has his massive wings which is a bonus

classics Hotrod- attack me all you want but he’s a good Hotrod he’s not Rodimus like the POTP version and he’s not a headmaster (not that I don’t mind the gimmick) and the dark red and fold out saw just seal the deal. Sure he could use some more articulation but the car mode alone makes up for it

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    T30 cosmos!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Foc soundwave rotf breakedown

20. starquantumstratos85

starquantumstratos85 Well-Known Member