Figures you hated in initial pictures, yet somehow learned to love...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Brooticus, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Pretty simple really! I'm sure we've all had those moments where we see a new figure revealed and have despised it from the outset (especially if it was mis-transformed), yet somehow, against our 'better' judgement, it finds it way into our hands and it becomes a firm favourite.

I'll set the ball rolling:

Universe 2.0 Powerglide. When pictures arrived, the colours were wrong, he had tiny arms, an he had a bad case of saggy jet-boob, yet I bought him on a cheap whim and ended up loving him. Clearly, he just isn't particularly photogenic! They don't make mainline transformers of this solid quality anymore, and he just has a lot of character.

TF Prime Powerizer (voyager) Starscream: I hated the look of this guy due to the kibble and transparent forearms in proto pictures (plus that stupid looking weapon), and once I got the First Edition there was no way you'd convince me that it could be bettered. Yet, he was on offer in Argos, they didn't have bulkhead, so I begrudgingly picked him up. Lo and behold, I think I actually prefer him to the FE. The kibble on the foot isn't as obtrusive as I thought, I don't notice the transparent forearms, and I generally think his look and proportions are a better representation of the character, particularly the head.

The weapon is still rubbish, however.

2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

TF07 Deluxe Bonecrusher: This is all Jin's fault, really. The poses that the figure was in made it look like the head was a part of the torso halfway up, rather than a separate piece. Love the figure now.

Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime: The alt-mode is obvious rubbish, and I hated his bug-eyed, flat face. But in person the face wasn't nearly that bad, and the alt-mode, while clearly a slightly folded up robot, is... well, it's something. But the charm of the robot mode's posability and personality won me over. I don't like it as much as the Classics Voyager, but I do like it better than MP-01.

3. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Galaxy Force Megalo Convoy. At first I was just dumbfounded by the "lack" of a real alt mode. It was just him on his hands and knees. But somewhere along the way I came to love the design and by the time I saw Cybertron Metroplex on the shelf - I had to have it.

4. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

PRID Bulkhead - Hated the figure when I first saw pictures of him, now he's one of my favorite figures, and I like him more than the FE. (You heard me)

PRID Megatron - Negative comments clouded my judgement on this figure at, he's also one of my favorite figures.

PRID Optimus Prime, Cliffjumper, and Hot Shot (Bumblebee) - Anger over the FEs clouded my judgement on these figures, now I like these figures more than their FE counterparts. (You heard me)

PRID Knock Out - Mis-transformation image on the back of card, like a hell of a lot more after being properly transformed.

DOTM Roadbuster - Back kibble no longer bugs me.

5. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    There are fairly few TF toys i actually 'Hate' and if i dislike them that much to start off with, it probably continues at least to the point i still won't buy them.

But MP10 is probably my biggest turnaround.

Very pronounced skepticism gave way to some degree of approval,....but i can't defend the price really, and i like the deco on the Hasbro version quite a bit less.

6. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Most of the DotM stuff. While much of that has held true (*cough* Sideswipe *cough*), I remember saying I was never going to buy the wreckers or Crankcase, but low and behold, I did. Granted the deep discounts I got them at helped a lot. I still think Roadbuster could have been executed much better, but he's a'ight.

7. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Pretenders and Action Masters.

Back in the day of the toy catalog/poster/checklist thingy, I thought it was the stupidest thing, and totally weird.

Then the comics brought them to my attention in the early 90s (yes I was late, due to parents not buying comics, and I had to buy them in my teen years), which in turn, got my to take the plunge and get a couple of them.

Now I don't hate them, but have a special appreciation of them.

Note:
    My first Pretenders were Waverider and Skullgrin, and my first Action Masters were Soundwave and Jazz.

Now I never hate anything I see on the internet. In a world of mis-information, photoshopped colors, and mis-transformations, I wait till someone has them on hand and posts pics to start judging it, even then I will decide when I have the figure in my hands to see if it's worth getting or not.

8. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    DOTM Jolt. Hated the look of his feet in the pictures, and his colours. But now I feel he's hands down better then the ROTF (besides the colours)

9. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FE BB - When my dad first gave BB to me (he bought the Entertainment Pack a few months ago when he was in Singapore) my first thought was "oh ffs" but I've grown to like the little guy. Toys like that help explain why children love the yellow dude.

10. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

You and me both.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    rotf superion and bruticus....only because of the add ons, wouldn't have bought them otherwise

12. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I initially hated MP10 due to the official pics, but once people started posting in-hand pictures it became clear to me that my hate was grossly misdirected. That's the only thing I can come up with off the top of my head.

13. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    hftd starscream. hated everything I saw of it (though I'm generally not too fond of the movie designs). had several friends convince me it was awesomeness. decided to pick it up in a sale, glad I did :) 

14. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    DOTM Soundwave. He looked really pale and grey in all the pictures he was in. But he looked way better in person. Of course, mine now has silver metallic colors so...

15. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    G1 Menasor. Was never impressed with the pictures, but wow, an awesome toy!

16. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Oh, the G1 Seacons. I bought the set from BBTS because it was $30 for a G1 combiner, and that just seemed like a good deal... I had no idea. Knowing what I do now, I would've been more than happy to shell out $60 for the set, it's amazing. The color scheme which bugged me in the first place has grown on me immensely, and they are some of the most playable TFs I've ever had

17. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At first, I hated the GDO Megatron figure. Looking at pics, it just didn't seem like the Bludgeon mold worked for him, and the colors didn't look G2 enough. However, I recently found him at TRU. I initially went there hunting for Hotspot. Sadly, he wasn't there, but GDO Megatron was. I thought to myself "Well...I don't want to waste a trip..." and picked him up. When I got home, opened him, and put him with my Neo G2 collection, he fit in perfectly! I had been using Takara's United Tank Megatron as my Neo G2 Megatron. Needless to say, he was quite small (especially compared to Prime w/ Battle Tanker armor and Botcon Clench). However, GDO Megatron's colors are spot on (minus not having the purple camo) and his size is perfect.

18. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    MP-10 Convoy

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Plus, now you can redub the United Tank Megatron as Archforce!

20. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm...hadn't thought of that... Now I won't feel weird about having them displayed on the same shelf! :D