Figures you feel lucky to own

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Leemaster777, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    So, when looking at your collection, are there any figures you own that make you say "Dang, I am SO glad I picked that up when I did!". I think we all enjoy the hunt when it comes to getting new figures, but some hunts are more successful than others.

Maybe because it's rare, or it's more expensive now, or that you'd have to jump through alot of hoops to get it nowadays, or even that you got a ridiculously amazing deal on it at the time. Heck, it could even be that you picked up the last one of that figure, and never saw it again.

I've got three figures in my collection give me that lucky feeling.

First, is the Japanese-exclusive Beast Wars Ravage figure. I got him about ten or so years ago, and paid just over $100 for it. At the time, I had a small amount of buyers remorse, as I'd never spent that much at one time, on one figure. But, considering he goes for four times that amount nowadays... yeah, if I hadn't gotten him back then, I'd have never picked one up.

Second, is the Japanese release of Transmetal Megatron. For those that don't know, the english release of TM Megatron suffers from Gold Plastic Syndrome, and that fate befell my childhood Megatron. But the Japanese release does not. I eventually picked up a new english one, but I was always too scared to actually handle him. But one day, I was browsing eBay, and I just... stumbled across a Japanese TM Megatron. At an EXTREMELY reasonable $40. Even at the time, that was crazy cheap for him, and I'm sure he's even MORE expensive now. I have to assume that, I can't find any info on exactly how much he goes for nowadays. Doesn't look like eBay has sold any in some time.

Lastly, is the Toys R Us Hasbro release of Masterpiece Soundwave, the one that came with all the MP Cassettes (except Ratbat). With that one, when it was released, I was calling my Toys R Us every day after work, to see if it was in stock. One day, they had it. But only one of them. I asked them to hold it for me, and I bolted to the store, which took about an hour from my job. When I got there, I went to Customer service to pick him up... but he wasn't there. Whoever I talked to had apparently just blew me off, and put Soundwave back on the shelf. I had many, MANY conflicting emotions as I walked out of the store with Soundwave, ranging from dread, to excitement, to relief, to anger, and annoyance, and happiness.

• Like Like x 8
  2. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    Managed to pick up a complete, great condition AOE Calibre Optimus Prime at a second-hand store for $30-40, don't remember how much exactly.

On another note, from the same store I got the E-Hobby Protoform Starscream, the one done up to look more like a fiery comet, for a nice price. Only thing is he's missing his gun, but otherwise great shape. This guy is currently for sale if anyone would be interested :D 

3. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    As odd as it might sound, Earthrise Bluestreak. Bluestreak's my favorite G1 character, so I try to get every version of him that comes out. I literally don't remember the last time I stepped inside a Walgreens, so I was semi-dreading trying to hunt him down. Fortunately a friend here on the boards picked one up for me. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Every modern Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Amazon and HasbroPulse exclusive. Never had any cancellations or issues, and ended up with all of them. With all the issues others have reported with delays and outright cancellations, I feel pretty lucky have them at all.

• Like Like x 25
  5. Pteraxadon

Pteraxadon RirFib supporting pterosaur

I have legends arcee but idk if she is Rare or not

• Like Like x 1
  6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Earthrise Coneheads.

• Like Like x 6
  7. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly having Encore ML Unicron and Haslab Unicron is really nice right now. Having those third party “WST” Dinobots is also great for “Me Grimlock kick butt!” Moments with Haslab.

8. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    Ugh, I managed to find a Thrust, but the other two Coneheads eluded me, and there's no WAY I'm paying scalper prices for those two.

Hasbro really, REALLY needs to do a second run of those.

• Like Like x 6
  9. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Most of them to be honest. It was so hard trying to finish a G1 collection from 1990-1995 without ebay or much representation at collectors shows or speciality shops. The American releases like Typticon and Blaster seemed like a distant dream and I didnt even know most of the Japanese releases existed until I met Paul from Spacebridge.

The late 90s were better but it was the early 2000s where collecting TFs changed from can't find them and started to become can't afford them. I'd rather be able to find them even at a more expensive price point than never see them for sale anywhere. My first Botcon in 2009 was where I realised I would actually be able to finish US and European releases. Now I'm 6 figures away from US and 1 away from Japanese mold completion.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Tarphedon

Tarphedon Strategist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes, the second run will also be an Amazon exclusive and snatched up by scalpers using the Amazon Scalping System (ASS).

• Like Like x 2
  11. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ALL OF THEM!

I got a Diakron DK-2 a few years ago (black pre-TF Diaclone version of G1 Ironhide sold in the U.S. under the Diakron brand name). The toy is complete, boxed and in brand new condition...it looks like it was made this morning. The eBay seller was asking more than I was willing to shell out for it, but he eventually dropped his price by $50 right before eBay issued one of those 20% off deals and I got it for a price I could stomach. It’s still...and will probably remain...the most I’ve ever paid for a TF. But it feels totally worth it.

I’d like to also mention MP-01. I got him at TRU when he was first released and I still remember seeing him on the store shelf for the first time. He’s a beast and is like owning a piece of TF toy history. He’s likely to remain the only MP Optimus Prime I will ever own.

And finally, I’m glad I still have my very first TF, G1 Ironhide. I still remember the day my best friend gave him to me for my birthday a shitload of years ago. That little guy has been through all kinds of shit and has remained...mostly...intact. Other toys have come along and been lost to the ages, but I somehow still have him. He’s like a derpy little red headless miracle.

• Like Like x 2
  12. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Studio Series Ironhide
    ER Thrust
    All SS Devastator components
    SS Wreckers
    SS BB Optimus Prime
    Studio Series Sideswipe
    Siege Ratchet
    HFTD Highbrow

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    MP 44 it’s a $400 figure, it’s not rare just ballsy expensive. It’s just an amazing figure on so many levels. I feel proud in myself in a strange way that I pushed myself through so many engineering classes that I’m in a position financial that I can afford it. (That sounded super vain. I’m not that type of person)

As of rarity Siege Skywarp. I didn’t know how rare he was until recently.

I kinda feel stupid about the ER coneheads I could have bought all 3 but passed on all of them. I’m not a big fan of the characters so I’m not loosing sleep over it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

Haslab Unicron has grown on me.

15. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

I have many I feel lucky to have. (Can we include 3p?)

MMC Carnifex,
    All the titans minus Predaking
    Botcon 2016 Reflector(s)
    God Ginrai plus PE upgrades
    CW Slingshot and Wildrider
    Animated Samurai Prowl (He was less than 20$)
    Unrustable bastards Iride (Does this count?)
    TR Arcee
    TR Monsterbots
    Big Convoy (He was only 50$)
    Transmetal Tarantulas
    All of the original Collaborative figures
    Stampy
    Botcon 2013 Thundercracker (Love it!)
    GS God Neptune (Gift from my Brother!)
    Chevy Aveo Swerve (Birthday Gift)
    POTP Punch
    My custom figure made from Trivia the Cruciverbalist by Fakebusker83

16. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    SS 44 Optimus. Saw him once and never again. Since he has the weapon ring and jetpack he felt like the "ultimate" Optimus for me so I really wanted him and totally lucked out.
    SS Devastator, still missing Scrapmetal - sometimes it's still hard to believe this thing exists! I really wanted Devastator when I was younger so this guy was a dream come true, putting him together piece by piece.
    HA Jazz - when I was younger I saw the ROTF HA figures and thought the idea of a fully transforming TF with an interior and a human companion was a cool idea. So when I saw HA Jazz, still sealed in box, at a hobby store, I had to pick him up!

17. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Siege Skywarp. RTS Lugnut. United Jazz. TR Misfire. Botcon Clench.

18. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering how everything has jumped in price now-a-days, when once a figure would be a flea market special now calls up insane prices, I'd have to say ALL of them, as each one that I wouldn't have if I hadn't gotten it at the time would be out of my budget now should I want to build up my collection at today's prices.

But items as G1 Jetfire, the matchbox SDF-1, the Samurai Cyber-squad and so many figures are some of my most "precious" ones.

In terms of newer stuff, I got lucky with the Siege Skywarp and a few others that I didn't expect to manage to get, so those would be part of this question I guess.

19. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Pretty much all of the G1 Encore and Takara reissues I bought over decade ago. It's nuts with the prices people are trying to sell them for these days.

Takara G1 Galvatron in cartoon colors reissue and the Takara Collection #6 G1 Megatron reissue stands out in my head.

20. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    SS Ironhide And PotPs Punch/CP. apparently these guys became pretty pricy and rare not long after release.