Figure King No. 316 - TF 40th Anniversary Special

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Bubblegunner, May 24, 2024.

1. PrimalKnight89

PrimalKnight89 New Member

What's with 2010 Unicron's face on Image 22?

The colors of the main body are slightly different (albeit comparable) from the corresponding Hasbro release of the time, but the face looks like it's a rip-off of KISS (referencing the band, NOT K.P.)!

I'm kinda wondering if the image of Unicron used for that page was already stretched and distorted before they even went to printing. If it isn't, then my only other conclusion is that Takara-Tomy's version had some noteworthy differences.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VVa

VVa If you don't Booyah back I want you dead.

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is it perspective or is Ginrai/PMOP kinda small?? IMG_9502.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. IGEBM

IGEBM The Loremaster

omfg I love the cover art and the timeline of toys

4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart I just want to enjoy the things I love in peace

News Credits:
    He is. Ginrai was not as large as Optimus, so his combined mode is rather small.

That said he could be downsized a little bit more so that way both him and Godbomber can be smaller and more affordable.

5. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ginrai being smaller also allows Takara to make a decent sized Overlord and still be fun to mess with.

6. Purple Heart

Purple Heart I just want to enjoy the things I love in peace

News Credits:
    And it scales with Generations.

A see nothing but pros all around.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really wish this magazine would be translated for and given a local release. Looks to coat $30 shipped....but everything is in Japanese....

• Like Like x 7
  8. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Same here man. Even a digital edition in English would be fine.

Those 40 pages are pure love.

And no, I don’t believe the franchise will be dust when the 50th arrives. Regardless of the popularity of G1, the franchise will outlive us. There’s been too many reboots that have brought in new fans. It’s self sustaining as long as new shows, movies and comics get produced.

• Like Like x 6
  9. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Same. They seem to give so much love in just a magazine over there while Hasbro does literally nothing like this over here. But I can’t really fork over $30-$40 for a magazine in a language I can’t read. :( 

• Like Like x 3
  10. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers still makes huge sums of money for Hasbro. It is one of their main pillars, and their financial reports keep saying this. So clearly whatever they're doing with it is working, and if by your calculations that means that old fans aren't sufficient then I guess the money must already be coming from elsewhere.

• Like Like x 5
  11. lowride

lowride misfiring on all 4 cylinders

Fully making assumptions about what you're referring to:
    1. Large black and red figure is ROTF Sentinel Prime
    2. Bright orange 'copter is Legacy Sandstorm.
    3. Hot Rod is IDW1

• Like Like x 2
  12. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only in this fandom is an 11-inch figure small

• Like Like x 6
  13. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Thank You.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ramberk Magnus

I'll take the bait. I don't have anything better to do this afternoon...

Are you blaming Hasbro because they don't work with a magazine publisher to create something like this for our market? Figure King doesn't get published in the US. Do we even have any English language toy magazines anymore? I don't know how Hasbro could achieve something similar like this for our market.

Also, you are aware that Hasbro regularly celebrates the brand through routine livestreams, multiple convention presentations, instagram behind-the-scenes posts and community Q&A roundtables. You literally have designers directly interacting with fans through social media. The level of interaction with the fans is kinda absurd (IMO).

• Like Like x 5
  15. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, in other threads it was argued that most of the money pulled in by Transformers is from the kiddie toys we tend to pooh-pooh. This is something I can completely see, since I myself bought stuff I otherwise would never have touched (i.e. the Tacticons and One-Step Changers from Earthspark) because I now have nephews and nieces for whom I can now buy toys for. Letting them play with Siege and Earthrise stuff was... not completely successful. My oldest niece, bless her, noticed the undercarriage of Sideswipe, muttered "robot?" and then tried to unfold him, but at the time wasn't strong enough to untab stuff and so started crying. She loved Sky Lynx, though. But, well, he is "the Magnificence".

Those kiddie toys like Rescue Bots or Bot Bots are something that can easily be an impulse buy, especially compared to a Deluxe or a Voyager. I specifically recall trying to find something new for them to play with then they came over, and the choice boiled down to ROTB Cheetor or a couple of Tacticons, and picked the Tacticons because they were cheaper and there were two of them.

As a point of comparison, I believe that in Japan much of the money made by Ultraman and Kamen Rider are the extremely cheap and basic figures that only have waist and shoulder articulation. Those things are, like, everywhere. Yes, the gimmicky belts and roleplay items are big too, but in terms of sheer volume...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

Don't forget that they also get Takara Tomy's designers to do videos and stuff too, like with Haslab Star Saber when Hisashi Yuki (who also did Masterpiece Star Saber) did a couple of videos.

Er, at the risking of drumming up drama, I also appreciate that thus far the level of interaction hasn't had any major blowups. You know, stuff like "writers/actors etc accusing people of being bigots for not supporting their product" or that kind of thing. As in, sure, that stuff happened, but I don't think anyone actively working for Hasbro or Takara-Tomy has caused that kind of mess.

I mean, it must be so tempting sometimes for them to snap back when people are going, "Man, more empty spaces and waffling?!" etc.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rob

Rob Fanatic Films Supporter: Optimus Prime reborn!!!

News Credits:
    You are mostly right, but a key thing. It's not that the "kid toys" are bought mostly, It's that kids buy most of the toys. In other words, kids made up the majority of WFC Siege, ER, Kingdom purchases for example.

Is that a thing?

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  18. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Huh? I'm not blaming anyone, I was just saying they don't do this sort of cool magazine stuff here.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Ramberk Magnus

Oh, I thought you were pointing fingers at Hasbro for not doing something similar. Never mind!

20. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, I can finally admit that Bumblebee and Cliffjumper look amazing.

I'm still taking a stand against that price, but wow it's cool to see this line actually taking shape. Wherever they go from here, it's bound to be exciting!

• Like Like x 4