Figure Complexity Rating System

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Arkimus Prime, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime Paleontologist Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    So, today, I was staring at my CHUG collection of a mighty 7 figures and wondered what a good system for judging how complex a figure is would be.

As I am inside all day due to the COVID-19 virus, and have very little schoolwork to work on, I spent an hour or so tackling the problem. It was this time that bore the fruits of my all-new, all-different CR and RCR systems.

"CR" stands for "Complexity Rating." "RCR" stands for "Rounded Complexity Rating."

The way the two work is simple: the number of individual plastic parts (pins and screws are not considered) purchased when buying a figure is divided by the original price of the figure. Rounding to the 3rd decimal place if necessary comes up with the CR value. Rounding this to the first place is the value of the RCR.

The con of these systems is that, in order to properly count the part count, one must either have the figure on-hand or know of someone who does own the figure and have them count for you.

Another thing that the system can be used for is for the dollar per part rate. The CR can be explained as the number of parts gotten per dollar.

Here's a few of the ones I did already:

Studio Series Leader Class DotM Optimus Prime has a CR of 2.48. His RCR is 2.
    (124 parts in total, $50 figure)

Studio Series Deluxe Class '07 Jazz has a CR of 1.9. His RCR is also 2.
    (38 parts in total, $20 figure)

War For Cybertron: Siege Micromaster Spy Patrol Ravage and Laserbeak has a CR of 2.6. The set's RCR is 3.
    (26 parts in total, $10 set)

War For Cybertron: Siege Deluxe Class Brunt has a CR of 1.2. His RCR is 1.
    (24 parts in total, $20 figure)

War For Cybertron: Siege Voyager Class Springer has a CR of 2.4. His RCR is 2.
    (72 parts, $30 figure)

War For Cybertron: Siege Deluxe Class Hound has a CR of 2.2. His RCR is 2.
    (44 parts, $20 figure)

War For Cybertron: Siege Deluxe Class Sixgun has a CR of 2.15. His RCR is 2.
    (43 parts, $20 figure)

War For Cybertron: Siege Voyager Class Soundblaster has a CR of 1.967. His RCR is 2.
    (59 parts, $30 figure)

If anyone is willing to help, I'd like part counts for Ultra Magnus and Shockwave, along with 2 Battlemasters (blast effects included!) and another Micromaster team.

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 2
  2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting endeavor, my friend. I’ll pull out my Shockwave...and maybe even Magnus...and see if I can get you some counts. I’ve been drinking a little, so, you might end up getting a range of numbers as opposed to a single hard value. Lol!

I get 86 for Shockwave (counting all of his armor-up parts as well).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020
  3. fschuler

News Credits:
    And, I got an even 100 for Magnus

4. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    Alright! Thanks!

Let's see... that translates into...

War For Cybertron: Siege Leader Class Ultra Magnus has a CR of 2. His RCR value is also 2.
    (100 parts, $50 figure)

War For Cybertron: Siege Leader Class Shockwave has a CR of 1.72. His RCR value is 2.
    (86 parts, $50 figure)

• Like Like x 1
  5. fschuler

News Credits:
    You might also check out this thread for some additional data. @Agent 539 has spent a ton of time pulling apart and tallying parts counts for MP figures.

What's in the Box: Masterpiece Parts Counts

• Like Like x 1
  6. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    This is great! But look all the numbers are so close to 2....

What if instead the complexity rating was parts / the longest dimension of the figure in alt mode or bot mode? or # of parts / weight in grams?

or even simpler - the # of parts = complextiy rating?

(Personally I WOULD use pins and screws as factors maybe even double their value. 1 pin = two parts.)

7. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    I mean people have said the number of parts is a huge component in setting the price point, you'd kind of expect that

8. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    They're all close to 2 because the toy lines seem to all acknowledge that the ratio between parts and price should remain constant. However... allow me to add some Masterpiece (thanks to @Agent 539's brilliant What's In the Box series) data:

MP-10 Convoy (w/ trailer) has a CR of 1.677. This translates to and RCR of 2.

Wait a minute...

Damn.

Well, I will tell you, two figures (or three, I guess), in all of my part counts, have achieved the highest CRs and RCRs of them all...

PotP Windcharger and the original Siege Micromaster Spy Patrol.

Wow, I know. Hear me out.

Windcharger achieved a CR of 2.5, which rounds to an RCR of 3. The Spy Patrol (Ravage and Laserbeak) got a 2.6 for the CR, which also rounds to an RCR of 3.

So I guess that the best thing to do would set the bar. The lowest CR possible is a 0.1, the lowest RCR can be a 0, and the highest for both is a 5.

Sound good?

I understand your idea for the complexity rating about being the dimension- but an aspect of the CR I made is that it can also double as the result of a part count over price ratio. AKA, for MP-10, you're buying roughly 1.68 pieces for every dollar you spend. This way, the CR can be used as both a benchmark and a value estimate. CRs and/or RCRs over 2 could be considered a good deal for people just wanting parts.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

Interesting method of determining parts count versus price.

10. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    Back in 2016 I did Engineering Reports for many of my Animated and RID2015 figures.
    Here’s one I did for Quillfire:
    It was quite fun! I posted them in G+ so I think i may have lost the rest.
    Anyway you could definitely tell that toys were getting less complex and fewer metal pieces were being used even since 2007.