Feeling overwhelmed starting MP collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jwarenec1, Sep 5, 2016.

1. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I started collecting 3 years ago this November. I hadn't yet found this site, so my collecting was all over the place. There's alot of good people on this board with excellent advice. With their help, I have streamlined my collection.

As for the Masterpieces, just keep in mind that there is no perfect Masterpiece. Every collectible has it's flaws, aesthetically or mechanically. My advice would be to learn all you can about the Masterpieces that interest you.

I started with MP Prowl and MP Lambor (Sideswipe), and my collection grew from there. I'm a semi-completionist, so I collect most of the Masterpieces that are released.

If you have a favorite character and it has a Masterpiece, maybe start there. Otherwise, start with the Masterpieces that are more difficult to find.

2. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    1) Set aside enough money to buy a decent car.
    2) Spend it on plastic robots instead.

At least that's how I did it. Except I didn't set the money aside so much as just bleed it off my account over the years...

Best advice has already been given: buy only the ones you like, don't try to complete "X" right off the bat. If you get to a stage where you're close to a complete Ark crew or S1 cast or whatever, then decide whether to go fo that.

3. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a Wei Jang MPP10? Looks pretty cool and the size is awesome. Just curious how it blends with the MP scale

4. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Way too big bud, I'll dig out a pic later of him with standard MP10 and he makes the standard look like a child. Talking of overwhelmed I reorganised my collection last night and the first thing I did was wince at the amount of money I saw. If you're going full hilt be prepared for sinking serious cash.

5. jwarenec1

Yea def my "plan" is to keep it small-ish. I use to have a huge G1 collection and the money I sank on having 20-25yr old figures was crazy. Not to mention the Classics, Animated, and Movie figures I collected at the time. Now will try to keep it manageable and only get the figures I want. This thread def help me out.

6. CaptJagged

CaptJagged Well-Known Member

I was asking these exact same questions in late July. I kinda went on a tear, and here's what I wound up with:

MP-10 OP
    MP-18 Streak
    MP-20 Wheeljack
    MP-21 Bumblebee
    MP-21R Red Bumblebee
    MP-25 Tracks
    MP-26 Road Rage
    MP-29 Laserwave
    MP-30 Ratchet

(I also just this week picked up Liger to dip my toe into 3P.)

Of the MPs, I found that Ratchet and the red Bumblebee gave the most dollar for dollar awesomeness and feeling like "Yes, this is what a transforming toy should be." The really finicky transformation on the Tracks I got, however, made me want to throw it at the wall over and over until I forgot I even bought him. Wheeljack, I did a 180 on. I wondered why everyone said he was so great, when mine looked and felt like total crap. Turns out I'd misread or missed a step and mistransformed his legs. Went back to him again, and he's pretty solid.

7. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The best advice I can give is to go slow and savor every toy. The worst thing collecting can become is routine and mandatory.

Don't buy things you aren't passionate about just to complete a set.

Have fun with it!

8. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Over a year ago, I purged a ton of figures and was lucky enough to catch up almost. I'm very behind again. I need Shockwave, and Ironhide.

9. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

That's where I'm at. I made the mistake of looking at a spreadsheet I made up that had prices for all the stuff I've acquired over the last year and the large amount definitely surprised me a bit. The best solution is don't make a spreadsheet with prices. :lol 

When I started last year around August, I picked up MP-10 first. Shortly after I bought Apollyon (which I still like, but there are more options now). At that point I was hooked and picked up all the carbots that were available at the time, Soundwave, MP-11, Magnus (pretty much all the MP stuff that was out) and a bunch of 3P offerings. The mostly MP collection including combiners (and a few IDW figs like the DJD) and some one offs like MPP-10, MP-01, etc is now over 100 figures. Ouch.

10. jjh

jjh Well-Known Member

Today, MP-10 is the best starting point.

With the holidays approaching, and a little patience, there's a good chance to snag him and others with deep discounts at the online sellers. (That's how I got MP-10 and MP-12 Sideswipe last year - TFSource.com)

11. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Soundwave, especially the Hasbro set with five included cassettes, is definitely the most impressive place to start a collection. I'd say that MP-10 is second, but he's pricey right now.

12. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

This is basically my CHUG/MP collecting habit. I am far more likely to buy CHUG figures just for the sake of increasing the roster. But I view my MP figures as individual masterpieces rather than a unified collection.

13. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't neccesarily think there is anything wrong with buying KO's- but you should definietly be informed before you buy any if you do. A friend of mine accidentally bought a couple thinking he'd found deals. If the price looks better than it should be, it very likely is a KO.

Note: Even though I'm saying KO's may be ok, I should mention I only own 1 MP KO (Ratbat) and that is because he was too expensive to justify as part of the Takara Soundblaster package. But I own a ton of Age of Extinction oversized KO's and most of them are actually superior to the original Hasbro toys. I don't take buying KO's instead of official stuff lightly, but sometimes Has/Tak doesn't deliver and somebody else does.

You should decide (temporarily) if you want to limit your collection to official MP toys or also explore the 3rd party unofficial MP toys (some are quite good). They tend to be a little more pricey than the official stuff, but anymore it's close.

My favorite official MP's I have are:

Optimus Prime
    Prowl

My favorite 3rd party MP's are;
    MMC's Mirage
    XTransbot's Scourge
    Maketoy's Hound
    Cloud 9 Shockwave

I also really like my official MP:
    Hot Rod
    Wheeljack
    Exhaust
    But all three are heavily modifed and not like the out of the box toys.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  14. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    If you get the regular Takara MP10 or Hasbro version, they both come with the trailer and all accessories- spike, Roller, gun, matrix, energon ax.
    All re-painted versions (Bape, nemesis) don't come with the trailer, except for Year of the Horse (YOTH)- missing spike and roller and Evangelion Prime (not sure if all accessories come with him)- comes with the trailer painted with Nerv decals and colt scheme. There's also a Shattered Glass prime that is a Hasbro Asia exclusive planned that also comes with the trailer.

15. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Where can I find a KO MP Ratbat? Please PM me!

16. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

You can find almost all the mp knockoffs on eBay.

17. jwarenec1

Finally took the plunge picked Up MP Wheeljack great figure. For some 3ps un mind if anyone has experience. Im looking at Huffer and Brawn the two that are most cartoon accurate sorry Im terrible with Who makes which obes

18. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    As with all collecting - "get what you love."

I think that adage is good advice for pretty much all of us.

With that said, I would recommend starting with MP-10, Optimus. He is truly one of the best Transformers ever made, very anime accurate, an intuitive transformation, some cool features, and a great update to the 1984 original G1 Optimus. You can get him sealed on BBTS for $160. That's actually a good deal, I remember when he first came out in Japan he cost $250. I was able to buy him using credit card points, and it still hurt the pocketbook, but man. Once I got him, I was blown away by his sheer awesomeness. He is one of the few Transformers that has been on constant display regardless of how many times I change up my display. Here is the link.

Masterpiece Optimus Prime with Trailer & Vector Sigma Gift Set (Reissue) - Transformers Masterpiece Masterpiece

I'd recommend starting with MP-10, then figure out what else you like. There are many directions in which you could go: Autobot cars to fill out the ranks, Decepticon seekers to stack up the bad guys, Ultra Magnus to give Prime a second in command, the new Hot Rod to get "the chosen one.

My personal recommendation is to get MP Optimus, followed by the upcoming MP Soundwave reissue.

A couple thoughts:
    1. Get MP Optimus (see above)
    2. Try getting the MP's at retail price, and avoid paying after-market prices where you can. Best way to do this is to buy up the current releases, and reissues, so that you don't have to turn to ebay, etc.
    3. Get the authentic versions, rather than KO's. I'm sure folks have had some good experiences with KO's, but I find that the quality on the authentic versions generally surpasses the quality on the KO versions. Given that, I'm willing to pay a little extra for the quality of an authentic piece.
    4. If you are "all in" for the line, you may want to consider importing from an online Japanese retailer, to save some money. This makes more sense if you order a bunch, though you would still save a few bucks when ordering single pieces. Anime Export, HLJ and Nippon Yassan seem to be preferred choices among the fandom. I believe that MP Grapple is currently available for preorder at those sites.

19. jwarenec1

I dunno if I am correct but did they make an updated mold of the Masterpiece seekers? They don't have the side skirts next to the legs? And were there any major issues with this run if it did exist?

20. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, technically it's the original mold designed by H. Kobayashi that got modified by S. Kawawori released as MP-3/5/7 then got reverted back by S. Hasui released as MP-11/11SW/11TC and was heavily retooled/redesigned again released as MP-11NR/11ND/11NT...LOL!

Anyways, as far as I know, issues with the MP-11 mold are mostly loose joints on MP-11 Starscream and assembly issues with MP-11NR Ramjet (missing parts, swapped shoulders, etc.).