Favourite comic-book show of the 1980s?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Favourite comic-book show of the 1980s?

1. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (Marvel, debut of Firestar)

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Super Friends (DC, debut of ethnic heroes)

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from a noir tale to a cowabunga cartoon)

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. The Smurfs (based on Peyo comics)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. DuckTales (based on Carl Barks’ Disney comics)

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Comic book shows rose to prominence in the 1990s thanks to Bruce Timm’s Batman series and the X-Men cartoon from Marvel. But there were also some great comic-book shows in the 1980s, that had the luxury of taking creative liberties (eg creating new characters, toning down dark stories) to be more fun and entertaining.

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
    This early Marvel show saw the debut of Firestar, Spider-Man's amazing friend and a parallel to the cryogenic mutant Iceman. (It'd be nice if one day a live-action Firestar appears.)
    [​IMG]

I recall watching the Incredible Hulk cartoon with Michael Bell and Stan Lee, which I think has attained a cult following. But I think this was Marvel's most successful 80s show.

Super Friends
    This early DC show utilized several new heroes in addition to the classic ones - Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, Samurai and the Wonder Twins.
    [​IMG]

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    What started out as a film-noir martial arts tale in a comic-book, became an totally radical 80s show that created colored bandanas for each Turtle, generated the mutant goons Bebop and Rocksteady, and formed one of the most radical theme tracks ever.

The Smurfs
    Who knew that a Hanna-Barbara cartoon about little blue pixies being hunted by an incompetent wizard, was based on a Belgian comic book? The situation sounds as absurd and entertaining as the comic itself.

DuckTales
    Based on Disney comic books created by Carl Barks, the show revived Disney's TV animation department, redefined Scrooge McDuck from a greedy miser into a lovable grandfather (a major change for some fans), and is set for a new show in 2017. I have to give this one my vote for how awesome it was.

Which was your favourite comic-book show from the 80s?

2. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I've only seen TMNT and that was years later on Youtube (I'm not from the 80s!) so that gets my vote. What can I say I am a TMNT fan, cowabunga dude!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Incredible Hulk

• Like Like x 1
  4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Of these options, definitely DuckTales.

But I liked all these cartoons.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Of those choices, definitely Duck Tales. In fact, that cartoon is what led me to discover the old Carl Barks comics, so I owe the show a huge debt. Everything about it is great. Hell, it might even be perfect.

But in the "other" category, I was probably an even bigger fan back then of the Hokuto no Ken cartoon, so that might be my favorite comic-book show of the 1980s.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

None of the above? Unless you count Transformers or GI Joe.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I had to vote Spider Man. But I've always been a big Spider Man fan so it takes a really bad cartoon for me to not like a Spider Man cartoon.

Spider Man and His Amazing Friends also gets props for using the same generic song Transformers and GI Joe used instead of paying to use a song.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spiderman was out first.

9. ABH1979

Yeah, and it used the same music, because all three shows were made by Marvel Productions Ltd.

10. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Spiderman and his Amazing Friends.

11. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

A 3-way tie between TMNT, Duck Tales and Smurfs

(I voted TMNT so... cowabunga and pizza time!)

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Ducktales was pretty damn great.

I need to re-watch it some time soon.

The rest of the shows are rather dated IMO. Most later incarnations I think did the material and characters a lot more justice. Smurfs is the exception, it was never that good to begin with. :lol 

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

super powers: galactic guardians; not only is it my favorite comic book show of the 80s, but it is also one of my favorite versions of superheroes, especially DC.
    after that, none of them really stick out as a favorite. they are all good shows, but nothing really sticks out. and i did enjoy watching them at the time of their airings. I liked Duck Tales, but, I liked Darkwing Duck WAY more. Rescue Rangers as well. but, when i did like Duck Tales, it was either a multipart story, or something to do with Donald Duck, who was my favorite disney character at that time. TMNT is a good show, but i like the TMNT movies more. *especially the first one.* the movies gave them individual personalities, where in cartoon, they were pretty difficult to tell apart *at least for me.* and I guess it was true from the animators too, as i remember quite a few times, their voices being swapped. Spiderman and his amazing friends, was okay, the rest of the super friends shows were decent, i did catch smurfs from time to to time, but none thing really stood out for me.

14. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I watched super friends the most.

15. ABH1979

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends was my first real exposure to Spider-Man. I kind of forgot how cool/fun it was, until watching this RetroBlasting video:

I had forgotten just how many other heroes and villains appeared in the show. Sadly, the villain I remembered most, was Videoman.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    For me, if we're talking Superfriends, it has to be Challenge of the Superfriends.

Best stories, best JLA roster, best villain line-up (although Darkseid would have been nice), the better Alex Toth character designs, and by far the best voice acting cast.