favorite Unicron Trilogy gimmick

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Jul 6, 2014.

?

favorite UT gimmick

1. minicons

37 vote(s)
    57.8%
  2. powerlinking

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. cyber planet keys

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Shockblaster

Shockblaster Well-Known Member

Minicons.

2. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Minicons. The powerlinx feature ruined a lot of potentially good Autobot designs, and while the cyber keys are generally less intrusive in their design, the Minicons are actually fun by themselves, and it felt like you got two figures every time you bought a transformer.

3. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    I think Minicons and Cyber Planet Keys were the best implemented, but I really liked the concept of Powerlinxing. When the Energon toys were first coming out I remember thinking "neat, it's like EVERYONE is a combiner!" and it's like the whole Autobot army were going to be Raindance and Grandslam. The actual implementation was kinda so-so, with many of the combinations just looking like two Transformers sitting on each other's shoulders, but Energon Prime was a pretty awesome toy and I love the thinking behind the idea. That said, I owned more Armada figures than either of the other two, so I think my loyalty was already established.

4. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Minicons get my vote simply because they are Micromaster 2.0. Putting that aside they were fun figures in their own right. Cyber Keys is a mixed bag. Some were really cool others just hindered the figure (Snarl and his giant arm). Powerlinking could have been a neat gimmick, but having both pants and torso modes really screwed things up. You have to pick either or in those kinds of scenarios.

5. Nymyzys

Nymyzys Yep

Ebay:
    Minicons by a mile. Armada Prime's "Pants" autotransforming was a neat feature as well, when it worked the way it was supposed to.

6. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Minicons.

However, I prefer them as partners and not necessary to activate features on the main toy.

7. shadowchaos5150

shadowchaos5150 Member

Cyber-keys.:D  I do dig the Mini-Cons, but the fact that the standalone mini-cons were generally better designed than the ones that came with the big figures :banghead:  had me mostly getting the 3-pack mini-cons instead of the big bots. Cyber-keys always came with a larger figure so I had more incentive to get multiple figures to complete a set of keys from the "Cybertron" universe, and I still want to make a complete set of keys (Autobot Normal Key, Autobot Commander Key, Decepticon Normal Key, Decepticon Commander Key, Earth Normal Key, Earth Planet Key, Jungle Normal Key, Jungle Planet Key, Speed Normal Key, Speed Planet Key, Giant Normal Key, Giant Planet Key, Planet X Key, Autobot Master Key), so I'd say that those have a more lasting effect.:D 

8. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

The Cybertron Giant Planet figs that had both minicons and Cyber Keys. As a gimmick by itself, I like Cyber Keys.

9. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Cyber Keys.

The best figures of the UT line undoubtedly came from the Cybertron figures.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

the figures themselves, cybertron did it best with the gimmicks.

but activating those gimmicks, minicons are WAY better then keys. and probably among the best molds of armada.

the combining gimmick just made every energon autobot basically the same figure. but the basics weapon combining gimmick was cool. over all the decepticons were the highlight of energon. especially the ships like dreadwing, and sharkticon.

but all the above is still better then automorph or mech alive. though automorph was better then mech alive. mech alive just felt pointless.