Favorite Transformer face style

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Optimus141, Mar 4, 2020.

?

Favorite Face Style

1. Faceplate

25 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. Human features

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    EDIT: What face feature is your favorite? Noses and mouths or covered up?
    Ive always been parshal to Faceplate type like Optimus, Soundwave, Bruticus, Grimlock, e.t.c.
    Now mind you, Im a G1 fan and that is my preference.
    If you have a different continuity that you follow, let us know in the comments. I would love to read everyone's choices.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I feel like this a really misleading thread. There's only two options and one of them isn't even a face style.

There are multiple face styles and multiple faceplate styles but a faceplate is not a face.

This is more like Face vs. Faceplate and has nothing to do with face style preference.

Some examples of different face styles would be...

The Angular hard lines of G1... and well most Transformers designs go for this aesthetic.

The more organic looking faces of the Beast Era.

The rigid not very expressive puppet faces of the Unicron Trilogy.

The highly detailed overlapping panels realistic faces of the live action film.

The weird insectoid faces also from the live action films.

The weirdly proportioned faces of Animated.

The noseless faces with giant eye brows from Prime.

The oddly shaped mouth faces from Rescue Bots.

Ect...

Different face plate styles I think could be an even longer list because it varies from one character to another not just from one series to another.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I understand. Ive edited the post to reflect what I mean.

4. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soundwavy

• Like Like x 2
  5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I'm going to say Faceplate... Some times faces can be good, some times they're ugly as hell, some times they're just dull to look at. Faceplates however always have very nice, interesting, unique designs. It's hard to screw up a faceplate.

Plus there are literally multiple characters who whenever the option is available I prefer to display them with a faceplate.

Animated and Prime Optimus... I usually don't mind him having a face but those two specifically I think look better with the face plate left on.

Movie Bumblebee. I hate his face design, he looks like his face was torn off. The battle mask design however is much more pleasant to look at. When I'm looking at toys for him I always look for ones that are molded with the Battle mask on or at least give me the option to put that on him. Studio Series for example came with the face installed but has an alternate face with the battle mask. I immediately swapped the face plate and always him displayed with the battle mask. There's a way to store the unused face on the figure but I don't even use that, the uncovered face is stored in a box, I think along with MP Bumblebee's extra accessories that couldn't be stored on the figure.

The Last Knight Megatron which so far has been my favorite movie design because it has a face plate that covers that horrible ass face. And of course I made sure to get one of the only versions of that figure that had the option to display him with the battle mask on. It's always in that mode cause I hate looking at his face.

A lot of characters I couldn't care one way or the other but there are a few times when I do actually prefer the battle mask over their actual face.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I've always hated faceplates. One of the things I liked about the Baymovies was that Optimus Prime could retract his faceplate.

In More Than Meets the Eye, I disliked how quite a few of the main cast wore faceplates and visors making them unrelatable and boring visually.

The guilty parties being:

Tailgate. I abhor him as a character anyway.
    Chromedome
    Brainstorm
    Rewind
    First Aid
    Atomiser

It was what I hated about Optimus Prime's G1 toy along with his creepy yellow optics.

That said, I don't seem to mind Decepticons as much like Soundwave, Snapdragon Onslaught, Dreadwind, Needlenose and Spinister.

Though I hated Dead End's animation model given how great the G1 toy looked.

Whereas Slapdash was the other way around. I think generally younger Transformers need actual faces to help convey their youth.

While I'm one of the few fans that liked the Prime Wars cartoon, I didn't like Hot Rod getting a faceplate but at least it was retractable.

However despite my disdain for faceplates, I'll take them any day over facial hair or buck teeth on Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

:lol  Good descriptor!
    The insectoid faces creep me out, honestly (though they do work for a few characters).
    I really like Animated in terms of character and story, but the visual style kind of bugs me sometimes. Most noticeably, everyone has GIANT CHINS, which look really weird to me (even if they are funny).
    I have no idea why no one had noses in Prime (I mean, I know robots don't really need noses, but it's weird to see faces that are otherwise VERY humanoid without noses.) And if there was one thing the animators of Prime were good at, it was insanely expressive eyebrows (especially on Starscream!)
    Maybe because they're villains? Villains don't need to be as relateable, and their facelessness gives them an intimidating look that helps them create a strong visual presence (Soundwave is a particularly good example of this.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

I like faceplates, also I'm fond of the Mongolian-looking faces that the '86 film used a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Faceplate all day!
    If I could I would wear one lol. Maybe with this whole coronavirus thing it's an excuse to wear a mask all the time as my "faceplate" lol.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Charlock

Charlock Lighten Up, Francis.

Faceplate, for sure. Lips on a robot always struck me as corny-looking and the "faces" in the Bay movies look ridiculous and, at times, creepy as hell.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Galvatross

Galvatross Put down the kool-aid Veteran

Variety.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I disagree. Some of the best most interesting villains in fiction are also the more relatable ones. It's why the Joker won a freaking Oscar... even though I don't think it was actually that good as a Joker movie it was however really good at making the audience identify with and relate to a villain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Longitudinalwave

I actually agree with you here. Relateable villains are often very good and very interesting. However, they usually don't need to be AS relateable as the heroes in order to work as characters. You can occasionally get away with a completely unrelatable villain (e.g., the Joker in The Dark Knight). You can't get away with a 100% unrelatable hero.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Um... you know you're on a Transformers forum right? The Autobots are basically all unrelatable heroes.

Or at least they should be unrelatable, I mean they are robots after all. But the thing is because fictional characters are made by humans even if the character isn't human or has unrealistic super powers we tend to project bits of ourselves onto them so technically it's not even possible to make any character 100% unrelatable. Some are more or less relatable than others and I think this varies from person to person and from character to character because we all have different things we relate to or don't relate to.

Oh and then there's Twilight which made it's characters total blank slates for the reader or viewer to just project their own thoughts and feels onto rather than writing the character with relatable thoughts and feelings they're just empty nothings... and this for some reason works. I have no idea how it works. I tried to watch the first movie and feel asleep three times before I finally finished the entire movie. I have insomnia too and watching that movie put me right to sleep. I don't get why people like it but they made more of them so obviously it works for some people.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Longitudinalwave

Good points; I suppose that what being relatable means varies so much between people (since people will always relate to different things) it's hard to declare any character to be entirely unrelatable. As for Twilight, I have no idea why it's is so popular if half of what I've heard about its characters and writing are true. Main characters being blank slates usually results in boring characters, although, like you said, it is possible that they're popular because people are attributing their own traits to them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

It depends, but I'm partial to faceplates. Lotta cool designs, like Soundwave and Bruticus.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer a faceplate or other mouthless means of communication (like a speaker).

I feel like mouths on Transformers only look good on 2D designs. They look fine on G1, Animated, and comic characters. But when they try to get more realistic (3D animation or live-action...or even those detailed statues), lips just look odd. It has a very slight uncanny valley effect for me. And 3D designs don't really need mouths, because they can add more detail and subtle motion to the other facial features and body language.

And mouths on realistic designs breaks my suspension of disbelief just a little bit. Like, I can buy eyes and noses...cameras and scent-detectors. Those are plausible technology. And ears are microphones. But mouths rely on our soft flesh to function. If you opened and closed metal lips, you'd hear tons of clinking and clanking, not just slightly modulated (but otherwise human) speech. Assuming they could even form speech that way, which is unlikely. Even if you could solve those problems with advanced alien tech...what's the point? A speaker would still be a much more efficient solution.

Am I overthinking the technicalities of Transformers technology? Yeah, definitely. But that's sort of where my mind goes whenever I see lips on a realistic Transformer. The lack of clanking when they open and close their lips is usually noticeable to me, because my brain knows how metal functions. It's hard not to make noise when hitting two metal things together. It's the sort of suspension of disbelief that works for me in a cartoon, but not in a 3D design...at least not entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Depends on the character.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 I HAVE THE POWER!

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter, they're all beautiful.

20. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

pretty much any I'd say. there's only like three main variations normal face visor mouthplate or mouthplate and visor. oh and I guess facial hair does that count? even has a kid I used to look at Scourges beard and wonder if it was made of magnets he could pull off and put on his fridge

• Like Like x 1