Favorite Transformation Schemes and Transformation Engineering.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 13DINO, Jul 25, 2017.

1. 13DINO

13DINO JTX_XIII

News Credits:
    Hey everyone, what are some of your favorite transformation schemes you've seen on TF figures? As perhaps the biggest element that makes Transformers well... Transformers is the way get from alt mode to robot mode. Whether it be complex or simple and intuitive or just plain fun fiddling, share what figures you feel they are and why you think so! Also, what is a transformation scheme or transformation engineering you would like to see on future figures and etc?

I'll start with some off the top of my head.
    -TR Topspin's transformation is one of most intuitive "hand candy" transformations in recent memory. The way the figure also avoids having gaps in the legs and arms are a huge plus! I would love to see this transformation scheme done on an earth-based car mode or something.
    -HftD Breacher to me has a high deluxe, almost voyager, tier of enjoyably complex-but not-frustrating transformation that give him a really nice robot mode in a scout sized package.
    -DotM Skyhammer manages to have one of the most unique helicopter transformations schemes that gives him a very built and powerful looking robot mode with a great stature with no extraneous dangling propellers or copter tails. He incorporates his main rotors into a sick looking torso design!

2. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Even with his tab issues, i think MPM Prime wins for me, the way the toolboxes collapses, the hood becomes the abs, are some nicely Masterpiece moments, plus, the figure doesn't have a hollow visible parts.

3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I really enjoy the way that the shoulders and upper torso of HFTD Leader Starscream come together. You end up with quite an emotive robot mode that can shrug and roll its shoulders.

WFC Optimus Prime is another figure that I feel quite successfully has managed to take what would otherwise be the engineering of a larger figure, and here make it into a deluxe.

A recent one, but I have to give props to TLK Megatron for having a reasonably innovative transformation married to rock solid engineering and fantastic poseabaility.

4. grimtnt

grimtnt Armada is older now than G1 was in 2002

News Credits:
    Last knight voyager Megatron and deluxe HFTD terradive are both my favourite jet figures to transform lately

Coincidentally they both have their jet wing kibble on their legs

I also love how you can give terradive blaster hands because they form the jet engines, and I love the entire torso transformation, it's unique and it means it's actually made up of a the vehicle parts instead of a chest/ entire torso hidden inside or under a jet

And for Megatron I know treat him as a triple changer and regularly put him in a fan tank mode

They both handle their v mode parts very well and neither has annoying parts hanging off, so theirs nothing to get in the way, and their nicely poseable,

5. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

One of my all time favorites has to be the TF: Prime RID Vehicon. The way the top of the car keeps folding up to for the legs is always fun and a fantastic bit of engineering! I'll also second TR Topspin, and add in Triggerhappy. They are just awesome in their transformation schemes.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    3 Step Bisk.

No seriously, his conversion is incredibly good.

7. Omega495

Omega495 Mostly Harmless, aspiring Mistake Not

My favorite in this respect is RID Vehicon - a good looking car which transforms into a good looking robot.
    This was my fiddle / workdesk toy for over a year and if any of my coworkers asked me why I liked transformers, I got them to transform it from car to robot.
    Loved the look of wonder on their faces, when the whole top of the car disappeared in the robot mode legs.

Masterpiece Sideswipe - simple but very nice transformation.
    MP-10 Optimus
    WFC Optimus - the transformation is a little harder, but still fun. This was the first toy which I discovered that I could transform using only my left hand (I am right handed).

8. TheSuperion

TheSuperion No am Bishoujo!

Yeah, that'd be the one. Such a brilliant figure. I'd also add Kup from the same wave: He's a little more fiddly, but the way his slim robot mode comes apart and folds back together into his boxy G1 pickup truck is a work of art.

9. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After picking up some 2000-2009 figures from an auction, it is amazing how satisfying some of the figures were to transform. Hefty high quality plastic and satisfying clunks and clicks. Universe Ultra Powerglide is such a cool figure to transform. It is amazing to hold a figure like that and realize what $30 bought you in 2008.

I still love AOE Evasion Prime. I think it is awesome that he essentially becomes the same size as the original G1 Optimus Prime when transformed. Other than the rear of the cab, the alt mode is nearly perfect.

10. OverRun

OverRun Active Member

Classics Bumblebee has always been one of my favorites, as it's a pretty simple transformation that produces two very solid modes (including my personal favorite robot-mode incarnation of Bee). As far as recent figures go, I think TR Kup's engineering is particular exceptional, and the figure just feels more solid than a lot of the CHUG offerings I've picked up lately.