Favorite TF engineering moments

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sonscreen, Sep 7, 2011.

1. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    generations Scourge

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    MP01 awed me back in the day. Still impressive.

The Generations/Classics/Whatever Sunstreaker I bought was GENIUS when I first got him, I realised early on he could have different torso/leg configs from the get go. Sideswipe here we come!

HFTD Battle Blades Prime is also a miniature marvel.

Also, I find some Legends sized toys pretty nifty little pieces of engineering. RTS Prime and Megatron stand out for me. Decent modes for both, that are easy enough for kids to play with and still so small? Awesome.

3. Sideways77

Sideways77 useless lesbian

News Credits:
    HFTD BB Optimus Prime and RoTF Mixmaster win it for me.

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Dotm Shockwave,because unlike the movie model,he actually TRANSFORMS :lol 
    All joking aside,the Prime figures look like the engineering will be fantastic. As for stuff that's out,Rts Cyclonus and Animated Prowl really impress me

5. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The deceiving transformation brilliance of Animated pretty much across the board.

The dual use molds for Classics Sunstreaker/Sideswipe and Generations Tracks/Wheeljack were also pretty clever.

Gotta give props to Generations Perceptor as well since I love how he now has a completely different alt mode yet achieves a near dead-on G1 accurate bot mode.

Most of the Alternators. It was mindblowing that they could transform into such accurate bots even with full interiors consisting of front & rear, seats, steering wheels, gear shifts, hoods with engines and even trunks when that space is typically used for folded up bot parts.

And of course Masterpiece Prime. Dated by now or not, that thing was a damn engineering marvel at the time.

6. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really like it whenever they do what they did with Universe Sunstreaker/Sideswipe and RTS/Gen Tracks and Wheeljack, when they make a figure that can transform different ways with minimal or no retooling.

7. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Human Alliance Jazz is a spectacular feat, especially in the way the the chest transforms.

ROTF Leader Prime. Just- Just ROTF Leader Prime. That guy is incredible.

To a lesser, (or greater?) extent, HFTD Voyager Optimus Prime. He accomplishes the majority of what the leader does, but in a smaller package.

Universe Hound has a very effective Transformation. The way the legs fold out has always been great.

Animated.
    Just... Animated. The whole line is a streak of engineering marvels. Swoop, Rodimus, Prime... all of it. They all have a simple transformation, yet they manage to accomplish everything. (Well, most of the time. I hate slag/snarl with passion. And I never was fond of grimlock.)

I love the way Straxus' turret forms the legs.

Drift/Blurrs legs deserve mentioning, because they're very intuitive. But I hate that he has no ankles.

8. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

It's not really four modes, though. The actual transforming part only has real three modes - car, half of a space Winnebago and robot. "Rodumus Prime mode" is really just "Hot Rod reaching for something on a high shelf" mode.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a great mould (I even have the E-Hobby black one on order :) ), but "four modes" is stretching things a little.

As for my favourites - the engineering on MP-05 is fantastic. They may have made questionable choices on the materials for some of the pieces (more of it really should be metal), but the design of those pieces is great.

Also, I thought the leg assemblies on TFA Ultra Magnus and TFU2.0 Onslaught were quite inventive.

9. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    I agree with the Animated line in general. It's hard to just list one or two but I really love RTS Jazz and Classics Mirage.

10. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

As most people have been saying, ROTF Leader Prime, HA Jazz and Animated were delivered with strokes of genius in each.
    Personally, I find a great deal of brilliance in TFP Prime's transformation, especially with the feet becoming the cab's roof. That's excellent design.

11. NathanS

NathanS Well-Known Member

Night Viper's body to legs. Brilliant!

12. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this one blew my mind a bit more than I was expecting. They went above and beyond what could have been a shellformer. The only real kibble in either mode is the cape, which isn't kibble at all since it's part of the design.

I'm going to go with the preposterous lengths that they went to to make almost all of the Binaltech's front wheels turn in unison. It didn't improve the toys much and the variety of design tactics used to accomplish this is responsible for a lot of the frustration during transformation. The toys probably would have worked better without it, but I respect the obsessive effort to replicate the feature you find in many non-transforming model cars of the same size.

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These guys are a little older, but I've always been impressed with how the BW ultra class Megatron (the 1st one) sealed up almost perfectly in beast mode, and also made a pretty respectable robot as well. Like, I get that he didn't have hands & that his hip launchers got in the way of you pointed them forward, but it really struck me as a good design that still holds up today.

Also, and traveling even further back in time, the Road Ready Mutations Donatello (the Porsche one) deserves a mention from me as well, as it actually made the term "shellformer" into a good thing.

14. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Almost everything Classics onwards (sorry, I never got into BW, RiD, or A/E/C toys so I can't really comment on them)

Seriously, as an unabashed Geewunner (what does that even mean anymore?!) I simply marvel at pretty much anything modern. As my shelf space is sorely lacking atm, the majority of my collection on display is G1. But when I do get the chance to crack into something new, I'm just blown away at the absolute genius packed away in such a small package. Bots like:
    -Classics Mirage
    -the Lambo bros (different characters, whaaat?!)
    -Terradive
    -Drift
    -Hailstorm for cryin' out loud!

That fateful day at Wal-Mart I bought Universe Cyclonus on sale was both a gift and a curse: a gateway drug to the finest plastic crack there is...

15. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, now that you mention it, BW Megatron did a nice job of becoming an actual dinosaur toy without any kibble and he had several features packed in that didn't interfere with anything and made him fun. The dino arm was odd to me until I realized it was perhaps a beastly take on the fusion cannon.

I got a few of those turtles back when they were on clearance years ago and while I felt Donatello's car mode was pretty flimsy looking, he makes up for it with the really clever use of his head as the driver! That was cool.

16. newbielives

newbielives Well-Known Member

For me there is the obvious ROTF Leader Prime, LEADER DOTM Sentinel, MP-01 prime but the not so obvious would be deluxe DOTM Bumblebee. That little guy is so easy to transform but at the same time has great articulation in bot mode and fits so snugly in alt mode.

17. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm gonna go with
    ROTF voyager Starscream. I simply love the way he seems to explode and turn inside out to transform.

legends Brawn. A simple little guy but so much fun to change back and forth.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    An earlier example for me - BW Fuzor Silverbolt. It turns the "animal stands up" concept on its head, near-literally, with front legs to legs, back legs to arms, and the whole deal changing shape/proportion without ever rotating the general orientation of the toy.

I'll mirror the sentiment regarding many Animated toys, not because they are unusually complex or clever, but so many are quite 'elegant', not wasting space or transformation steps, and managing to recreate shapes, designs, and 'lively' stances that a few years ago might have been thought impossible to achieve in a toy that converts between two or more modes.

19. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still love everything about HftD Terradive/DOTM Space Case. Wonderful in both modes and a fantastic transformation to boot.

20. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    For me it would have to be the time I transformed my first Binaltech. Smokescreen had such an ingenious transformation that made me keep fiddling with him all day & night - that is until he started to get a little chipped :lol . To this day I'm still a massive fan of Alternators/Binaltech/Alternity. An absolute ripper of a line! Thank You HasTak! :thumb