Favorite Non-Transformers Transforming-Robot Toy Brand?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Xformermike, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Xformermike

Xformermike LAZY

I'm trying to open myself up a little to some more Sentient Transforming Robot cartoons and toys; the last 20 odd years of Transformers has been great, but really, something totally NEW to add onto my pallet and feed the hunger is something I've really been craving lately......

I don't know too much about other sentient transforming robot shows/toys... I tried doing some research but found most to be either part formers... or just vehicles that turn into legs with no robot modes, or they aren't sentient, or stupid little humans pilot them, etc etc etc............. Don't let my ranting limit your choices, if you know one that is good but has one of the above qualities that I seem to frown on, let me know about it anyways! I'm pretty open minded.....

Actually... are there even any other sentient transforming robots out there?? (Gobots of course... :p  But I only really know the 80's Gobots that aired in N.America.)

I've heard some talk of something called "Might Gaine" but appearently only one of them is sentient? Is that true? That's acceptable... Anyone have some links for an old guy to check out? ;)  You know, torrent links for shows, show info & screen caps, toy pictures, etc etc, all that great tastey stuff!

Would really apppreciate it, sorry for allthe typing, I get on a roll sometimes..

Thanks,

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ah, if you're looking for sentient robot shows then you won't get many. Most Japanese shows run with piloted mecha.

However, Brave is a series which Takara also made, and it features lots and lots of sentient mecha. There's a thread in the Toyark about it. You ought to check out Gaogaigar, it's the pinacle of everything that is Brave, and it's out on DVD.

FYI, Might Gaine is also a Brave show, lots of transforming trains, and they're all sentient, except for the villains Hiryu and Goryu, as well as the Might Kaiser, since they're human piloted.

Of course you've got your Gobots, you've also got the different Japanese Machine Robo series like Machine Robo Rescue and Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos. Revenge of Chronos is a weird one, there are human looking characters in there who are actually all androids. You've also got your Rocklords and regular Machine Robo turning up in that series though, the humanoid guys are a minority in the few episodes I've seen.

3. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Btw in J-Decker, Might Gaine and Gaogaigar, they are AI Sentients while in other series they are aliens or spirits of the earth taking over vehicles (which in turn gives them transformable bodies.) Also Dagwon they are human pilotted apart from two robots that are add-on weapons for the main guy.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah you can't go wrong with Brave. It's almost like extending your G1 collection.

Those Macross figs are also impressive. Everyone should own atleast 1 of them IMO, but they have pilots

Those Gobot combiners are excellent, look good on display, and collecting the super Gobots is nostalgic fun

5. Xformermike

Xformermike LAZY

Thanks guys! did some digging around

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/2614/sakio/yuusya/yuusya.html

this site is pretty good... I think I like these toys the most out of all of seen, lots of pics... He doctors them up to look more posable but I can tell their limitations and still find them appealing as far as vintage toy transforming robots go. Some really cool ones in there.

Still trying to find a good site that show cases all the brave toys, i'll post one here if i find it. If you know any good galleries, please do tell !

6. Xformermike

Xformermike LAZY

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
  8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Webdiver!

http://www.geocities.co.jp/playtown-Dice/4403/takara/webdai/webdai.html

They're great for my oddball figure moods. I love the digital-inspired designs and details and going outside the traditional robot modes. Plus I love locomotive Transformers, not trains cause bullet trains are boring as hell, locomotives. And the core figure of the line is a huge one!

Still desperately seeking a Wyverion though...

9. Roanstalker

News Credits:
  10. Xformermike

Xformermike LAZY

Sweet! Thanks for the links to those sites guys, i really enjoyed looking at them.. I think I like GaoGaiGar the best, just because it seems so similar to Transformers, yet it's a completely different experience. I wonder if there are any places to buy the DVDs or Download them... I definitely want some of those toys when I have the money for it.

There seems to be some episodes on youtube, but they are kinda slow..... not sure where else to find them, dling a really big torrent right now with 49 episodes in it, but its going to take a while, lol...

Did the early Microman or Diaclone (Just the ones the transformers originated from) ever have any shows or fiction? I know the pre-insecticons had a show.. or at least I think they did.

I suppose if Diaclone had a show then there would be no Transformers..... haha... but still... mangas, short stories, OAV's anything?

Thanks for all your collective answers guys, helping me along in my research quite a lot.

11. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    I think its gonna be hard to find Gaogaigar on torrent since the series has been liscensed. There are DVDs for sale but its not complete.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, Gaogaigar is licensed, I think the DVDs currently run to episode 24 or something - right before things kick into high-gear!

I showcased my Brave collection in here, I never got around to doing Gaogaigar though, weirdly enough.

Eldoran is another one you might like to check out, it involves more parts switching and less transforming, but the mecha are badass.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That Brave thread really took off, thought it was just going to last a few days

Maybe it's a good time to update the contents :lol 
    Im sure every Brave fig is in there by now, somewhere

14. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Anything is possible with courage :D .

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All beautiful Bots shown in this thread for sure. I just thank Primus that nothing does anything for me except Transformers, that and a few non-TF Revoltechs. I like the Shinki's too.

16. Xformermike

Xformermike LAZY

5.No links to illegal downloads or copyrighted materials.
    This includes MP3's, games, pirated software, movies, full book or full comic scans. -Staff

Sorry I just have one last question for you GaoGaiGar knowledgable people!... in your experience what's the best place to buy these toys? Or is it just ebay? Oddly I don't like the look of the masterpeice ones on BBTS... and the price makes me gag. Transformers masterpiece seems to be on a whole other level than these guys...

Also, one last question, and this is probably a stupid ass question........ is GaoGaiGar the same series as "Brave" or are they different?? Are there older series for this too?

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
  17. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:

Kinda strange I, who knows nothing of Brave series nor GGG (the blasphemy), will answer your question based on "research"(through wiki of course). :D 

Yes, GGG is part of the Brave series, and it was the last installment of the series.

18. Xformermike

Xformermike LAZY

Uhhh... that's because when I say to you guys "thanks for helping me with my 'research'.." what I really mean is, thanks for doing my research for me...! lol... I usually just take what you guys say and do a little searching based on it, then come back when I have a question. I don't invest too much time in it, it's easier just to get someone more knowlegdable in these things to answer my questions... faster too, you guys are always on the ball with this stuff. Why do you call it blasphemy? Do you like Brave more, or did you just mean both of them... ? Also, why don't you like them?

I'll have to look for those older series as well! So far GaoGaiGar (i've only watched the first two just now) seems kinda typical; but the designs look cool, and I am interested to see when more sentient robots come... Are the older Brave series more focused on the sentient robots? Anyways, it's ok so far, the plot is very introductory and simple, for the obvious reason that it's introducing the series; I'll still watch them all tho just to see if it will pick up... anime can be slow sometimes, just like Japanese movies....

5.No links to illegal downloads or copyrighted materials.
    This includes MP3's, games, pirated software, movies, full book or full comic scans. -Staff

19. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah CM probably abt time too & also it's b'coz of yr Brave thread, dat guys like me are converted :thumbs2: . on my part just to spread da word i've even added a link on the Brave wiki to our beloved TFW2005 Brave thread.:D 

Anything is possible with courage (& Bravery)
    I know it's a bit cheesy..heh heeh LOL :lol 

Bro since you've already downloaded some torrents, i thought if u still would like to purchase some Brave dvds. well i can recommend you this website: http://www.meganimedvd.com/ there's the Brave Express Mightgaine dvd.
    it's on sale rite now U.P:$120, sale price:$53.99 only.

I recently purchased my Gaogaigar Final dvd from them.
    They shipped real fast, ordering is hassle-free & straight forward. a satisfied customer here. :thumb 

& as for GGG. i can empathise w/you there. ya it's abit slow in the beginning but dun give up just yet. when i initially watched it at first i wasn't to impressed myself but i was wrong. by the time episode 5 onwards the series itself starts to pick up. woo hoo!! by then the whole theme song GA! GA! GA! Gaogaigar YUUSHA TANJOU! finally makes sense. dun worry it really is worth the wait.

20. Xformermike

Xformermike LAZY

Edited -staff

anyways, thanks for that link to the DVDs Riz, Iwill def keep watching too :) 

Just got around to checking out your thread finally Sol Fury... Awesome! Packed with info and pics, thanks a lot for posting it.