Favorite megatron ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mn_128875, Jun 6, 2020.

?

who is your favorite megatron?

1. G1

34 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. Marvel comics

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Dreamwave

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bayverse

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Animated

24 vote(s)
    21.8%
  6. Prime

18 vote(s)
    16.4%
  7. WFC/FoC

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Cyberverse

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  9. IDW1

19 vote(s)
    17.3%
  10. IDW2

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who’s your favorite megatron
    *note I’m not including BW megatron because he’s a different character *

Mine are:

siege
    Animated
    Prime
    Idw
    Cyberverse
    Unicron trilogy
    Marvel

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

The G1 cartoon, Marvel, 2001 RiD and WFC/FOC ones are the only ones I could tolerate. They had the best raging tantrums and the ones from the G1 cartoon, 2001 RiD dub and the WFC/FOC video games just had the proper Hitler intensity and authority that makes the character a bit more enjoyable despite his one-dimensional personality.

All the others are just meh to me. They just lacked that intensity that basically makes me enjoy the character and just felt too bland and boring. The Unicron Trilogy Megatron just left little impression on me. In all three series, I just didn't feel compelled towards him in any kind.

TFA Megs made me snore a whole lot. This kind of Megatron just doesn't work as a manipulator as nicely as the BW/BM version does, and ends up being incredibly bland and boring.

TFP Megs is just as bland as TFA Megs was. And he is also even more idiotic than the Megatron of the G1 cartoon. Whenever there was an opportunity, he immediately tossed it out of the window and just made stupid decision after stupid decision that really makes you wonder why this chump is in charge of the Decepticons. Honestly, Silas or Shockwave would have made better leaders in this show, but now, they had to use Megatron and completely make him a screw-up.

I appreciate what the Prime Wars Trilogy was going with by making Megatron a wiseass, but it wasn't enough for me to make him an outstanding character. It just felt too out-of-character, which is the same I could say about IDW Megatron. His turning into an Autobot goes against what the character really is (an ambitious warlord who just thought about conquest). Other characters like Starscream have been changed quite a lot, but why do they work? Because the basic essence and traits of the characters have remained intact despite the differences (Armada Screamer is a lot more noble and sympathetic, and despite having good reasons for it, he still goes against Megatron, so at least that has been kept there). Megatron and Optimus Prime... you change their characters just a little bit and they just feel tacked on and completely off-character.

Cyberverse Megs seems okay so far, but still feels a bit meh (then again, that's what I feel about Megatron as a character).

• Like Like x 2
  3. mn_128875

News Credits:
    Just saying stuff goes batshit insane with cyberverse megatron In s3

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Beast Wars\Machines and Animated Megatrons

• Like Like x 3
  5. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hmm, pretty tough since I tend to like Megatron in most series he's presented in. Only one I particularly don't care for is the live-action movie version, barely in it and had some really ugly looks. Guess I'll go for TFA and WFC/FOC as a tie.

Tend to have soft spot for Unicron Trilogy Megs (Armada and Cybertron mainly as I have no recollection of ever seeing an episode of Energon as a kid)

• Like Like x 1
  6. streak2

streak2 Well-Known Member

Voted Animated since he was one of my firsts, but both there and in Prime he was played very nicely are definitely my favorite versions. Would give seconds place for G1 and IDW1, I have a fondness for G1 and IDW1 gave him a pretty good character and an interesting arc, even if not a perfect one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

8. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Beast Wars Megatron. Yessss.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Go-Faster-Wings

Go-Faster-Wings Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast Wars Megs will always be my fav. He like.... Accomplished his goal. He took over Cybertron. For YEARS. He was thwarted eventually, but he also became a "seed of the future" and became part of cybertron forever, it was awesome. He had great ambition even if his team was awful for most of his tenure. He was fantastic, hilarious, and brilliant. David Kayes performance was also fantastic.

• Like Like x 3
  10. AMG

AMG Old School

These two.

beast wars G1 Megs.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  11. gregles

gregles quintesson

I like most versions of Megatron as him and starscream tend to end up being the hilarious Punch and Judy style double act that becomes the most entertaining and compelling thing about the fiction they appear in. Beast wars proved that he could go mostly without his favourite whining punch magnet provided he had a super powered charisma and it would certainly be interesting to see how the results would be if beast wars Megatron could compete.

Despite all of this though idw 1 got my vote as I love the idea of someone who has committed atrocities beyond most peoples imaginations and understandings attempting to apologise and make amends. It was so complicated and well handled in my opinion acknowledging all perspectives on the events portrayed that it sparked loads of interesting and passionate debate in the comics forums at the time around the very nature of concepts like redemption, altruism, justification, forgiveness, evil, cruelty, corruption and punishment.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Animated Megatron.

He started as the oppressed and tried to point out why it was wrong to be treated as that way (Speaking out against the "Decepticon Registration Act"), which fell on deaf ears and instead caused kneejerk reactions that was the final straw and started the Great War. He was able to launch into a series of early victories because the Autobots weren't prepared to fight, only thought they were until the war bogged down, despite several ploys by Megatron, what broke the tie was the Autobots creating weapons of mass destruction and rushing them into use. Even then, Megatron and his troops didn't fail and die, but held on, until Megatron realized that he could win the war, but Cybertron would pay the price for it. What good is a Pyrrhic victory? So he had the guts to negotiate an armistice and left, founding a multiplanet space empire. He then searched for one of the reasons the war actually happened, the Allspark, which had been jettisoned into space to prevent the Decepticons from seizing it and absolutely winning the war, because despite everything, he still wanted their home and most of what he did was looking for that end. After being betrayed he tanked on, even as a head alone in a lab surrounded by enemies, he continued forward. When he got his new body, he made sure that the traitor who had cost him so much paid the price for said treachery. He achieved his goal and got the Allspark, only to survive it exploding in his spark container and still had the presence of mind to download the one piece of technology that the Autobots had that had created a leveled playing field against the Decepticons in the war and had caused the stall, and to grab what was likely the only human on the planet who could actually build it for him on such a primitive planet. Even then, he was thinking ahead, signal dampers to hide his troops, a hidden base building a spacebridge, and a long hidden secret agent that he never activated was finally due to act, so that he could use the Autobots second greatest asset against them, and create a negative version of "All roads lead to Rome" situation with the aide of neutral bots who he has a conversation with and convinces them to join his cause. A plan that would've succeeded had his traitor and the last weapon of mass destruction not both intervened in succession, but even then, defeated, held at the mercy of said weapon of mass destruction, in space, no troops (again), he still uses his most dangerous weapon, his mind. He talks the weapon into doing what he needed doing. He uses it and Starscream to collect his double agent, to get the keys to reformatting Omega Supreme, and goes to his own wrecked starship and uses Starscreams own asset, the banks of protoforms to create his own weapons of Mass Destruction; then when the activation time comes, he counts on Starscreams treachery and allows Starscream to act, only for it to play out exactly as Megatron had wanted, Lugnut gets the codes, and now his weapons of mass destruction are tied into his most loyal servant. Again, no longer of use, Starscream is blown to bits. Here is where Megatron makes his mistake; he goes forth even though Shockwave's tech support is lacking, the Lugnut Supremes aren't ready for prime time yet and he still deploys them, eager to make Earth and the Autobots pay for his decades of setbacks. His forces are too split, the Lugnut Supremes are too much a drone and not eager followers, and his need for revenge causes him to chase the victory too hard, resulting in everything going sideways on him. And even then, if Season 4 had happened, he still would've turned his imprisonment into an asset.

He is that balance between cold manipulator and physical force of will, he has a great alt-mode for that personality in the double rotor attack helicopter, and has the presence of mind to use his assets as he needs them. Plus he came up with the phrase, "Decepticons, Transform and Rise up!" to counter the long standing Autobot call to action.

But I didn't need to explain any of that, the question asked who is my favorite, a purely subjective question and the answer is Animated Megatron, for many reasons. Cool voice, personality, leader class toy, etc.

• Like Like x 9
  13. stucksomewhere

stucksomewhere Well-Known Member

I love Megs, but for most part his character is a stagnant re-hash at this point. The Jaded version of him in the Prime Wars Trilogy was a good change of pace, but not my favorite.

Autobot Megatron may not be a logical progression (especially for the ruthless, genocidal Megs portrayed throughout the first 3/4 of IDW 1) of his character, but it was well done. I understand why people don't like it because of how evil he was. But for me, watching him come to grips with how far he fell was compelling. The panel on Necroworld standing in the field of flowers is amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any version

• Like Like x 3
  15. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bayverse

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    And to no-doubt give the others a fighting chance. :D 

Also, technically they're all different characters.

I think people's issue is it wasn't well-done. He heel-turns to good too quickly and too completely for someone so evil, it feels forced and pretentious.

Megatron felt like a completely different character, so him acting this way didn't hold any impact, because it wasn't the same person reflecting on his life.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    My vote goes to Animated Megatron. He's cold and ruthless - a rare combination of traits in Megatrons, last seen in Beast Wars - and possesses a rare cunning that is usually also absent from Megatrons. He effortlessly manipulates everyone around him, and when push comes to shove he still has the legendary power and fighting ability that Megatrons are known for, and then some.

I appreciate that the TFA incarnation of Megatron departs from the typical "angry warlord" personality that's common amongst Megatrons, also giving him an air of mystery and dangerousness that's similarly absent; not only is Megatron easily capable of crushing his enemies, but you never really know what his endgame is, and you don't know what assets he's decided to keep in his back pocket for backup plans or future schemes.

• Like Like x 4
  18. mn_128875

News Credits:
    I knew if I put him 95 percent of people including me would’ve chosen him

• Like Like x 1
  19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I don't see a Prime Wars option.

Only Megatron I don't like is Cybertron. Horrible design.

He was well written in Prime and Frank Welker gave an amazing performance but I hated the skull face.

They made him too insane in the Marvel G1 comic at times and Regeneration reduced him to a two dimensional villain but I still loved him. He was great in G2, quite like the Prime Wars depiction.

I always liked him because he wasn't afraid to fight on the front line. As a child, I loved the badass moment where he faces Predaking, injured, weaponless and missing his fusion cannon, he still stood his ground.

I loved his line, "I am noone's prey. I am Megatron the Conqueror!"

Predaking_gone_but_not_forgotten.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. mn_128875

News Credits:
    Fun fact: originally Garry chalk was going to play megatron while David Kaye was going to play Optimus