Favorite Comic Writer and Artist

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DevilzFan, Oct 6, 2005.

1. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

His art on Uncanny back in the 80's was pretty sweet. I remember picking up back issues and thinking Jim Lee had done the art only to discover it was Art Adams.

2. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I'm back on a Slingers kick, so for now my answer is:

The guy who wrote Slingers, and ChrisCross, the guy who originally drew it.

3. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

Artist : Adam Kubert
    Writer: Fabian Nicieza

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    CrissCross is actually pretty good. He did the first arc on Firestorm and also put some work into Captain Marvel.

5. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Agreed. Mike Mignola's shadowy, stylized art is great, and his writing is also superb. Plus he created Hellboy. Yes indeed, Mike Mignola rocks.

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Writer: Kurt Busiek
    Artist: George Perez
    Their Avengers run was phenomenal, as was JLA Avengers. Both know and respect Superheroes, but are willing to take new directions.

-Tony!
    Would like to see a Busiek/ Perez X-Men series.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    If there was one writer I'd love to meet and haven't, it's him. His Iron Man run actually brought the book to the top of the charts and made it readable. A complete contrast of the title only a year earlier.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :banghead:  Stupid me! How on Earth could I forget the incredible talent that is Art Adams. The New Mutants/X-Men Asgard story is one of the most well-illustrated tales I've ever read. And his work on Longshot was fantastic. Screw Bachalo, I'm voting for Art Adams. :thumbs2: 

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    writer, i'd have to say...garth ennis. i also like alan moore and grant morrison but ennis has written cross genre stuff which i consistently enjoy.

artist...if i had to choose 1: adam hughes. i like his natural style.

10. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

Writer: Warren Ellis. Fell, Desolation Jones, the current Iron Man run, The Ultimate Galactus books, Ocean, Global Frequency... The man can do no wrong, and absolutely no one writes better reality-based sci-fi than him. His style is cleaner than Bendis', and he's more comfortable with pushing the boundaries of what a comic book can be.

Artist: Mike Mignola. Sure, he writes too (making this a bit of a cheat, I guess), but his art is what I love above all. You don't even need to read a Hellboy book to appreciate the guy's genius. His storytelling and ambience are so good, you can follow a story through the pictures alone. His books transcend traditional comic art, and elevate the medium to Art with a capital "A".

11. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

His art is part of what attracted me to Marv in the first place. I really dig his style.

12. Prime64

Prime64 In state of deep blue

Writer: Garth Ennis

Artist: Bryan Hitch

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

You folks should be gratefull that you've probably never read anything Ennis wrote before he started working for US publishers, his 2000AD stuff is so bad that he even admits himself that it sucks.

14. Prime64

Prime64 In state of deep blue

Yeah, I've read that he not that pleased with his work on that seires. Though I do have the Judge Dredd Judgement Day TPB, and that wasn't bad. Though what I don't like about the anthology format of 2000 a.d. it's just eight pages, then begins another installment. I think it breaks up the flow of the story in Judgement Day.

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Actually i have several of each
    Writers
    Bendis
    Johns
    Dixon

Artists
    Adam Hughes
    Brain Hitch
    George Perez

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Judgement Day is pretty decent as far as Ennis Dredd goes, but you'll find yourself on a downward slope if you decide to investigate his run much further. Millar and Morrison stunk the strip us as well after he left, so much that the publisher eventually told the editorial team to get Wagner back on Dredd at any cost.

2000AD's format is a bit of a double edged sword. On the plus side it means that the stories have allot of pace in them and that there are always 4 other strips running if there is one you don't like, but it can make some stuff a bit stop/start depending on how its written and early material can grate a bit when read in bulk because of the brief recaps at the start of each episode.

One of the common theorys as to why UK writers go down well in the US is that they are used to writing in 5 - 13 page installments rather then 28, which means they are allot better at getting to the point and delivering fillerless stories then an American writer who has spent his entire career working with higher page counts. The fact that most of them make it to the US via 2000AD also means that they are used to writing stuff thats allot edgier then most standard American fare as well.

17. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    As of the moment

Writer: Jeph Loeb

Artist Either Jim Lee orTim Sale

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Writer - Definitely Neil Gaiman. The Sandman series is not only one of the best comics I've ever read, but one of the best pieces of literature from any medium. His stories weren't always straight-forward and allowed lots of interpretation; a welcome change from the spoon-feeding of most other comics.

Artist - Don Figueroa for his TF stuff. I'm hoping he does some work for IDW so we can see what he's capable of without the "Draw-Like-Pat-Lee" DW 'house style'.

19. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    Off the top of my head, Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. Their "prism" books for Marvel are some of my favorites in my collection, three of the best stories I've read in recent times, I didn't want them to end. Then of course we can't forget their work on Batman either.