Favorite Black Transformer

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Bit off topic, but I always thought "MegaEmpress" and Megatronia" should have had each other's names.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

Alternators Dead End is surely one of them.

Edit: and Ravage.

3. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

I dig Skywarp but honestly I like the tapes more than the seekers so my answer has gotta be Ravage.

4. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I’m not sure why you find it more likely that it would’ve been motor master but I guess that’s your opinion
    That’s just straight incorrect

The concept of the color black equaling bad/evil is as old as time

the connections between bad/evil and vengeance/Retribution (and those that serve as its avatars even if undeserving) are equally as old as time

Gods/characters that enact vengeance on others are almost always considered “dark”

Black is Dark
    Vengeance is Dark

I doub hasbro ever considered “black prime” and “dark prime” sounds even more stupid then Nemisis

so yes, it the way it was used Nemesis was the equal of Black
    Can you believe that? Regardless of whether you feel it was a good use of the name can you prove that Hasbro didn’t have a to retain the rights to the name at the time in question?

5. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Good points. Enjoying the discussion.

Nemesis also means "retributive justice" and that's the original context for the goddess. Again, it makes no sense to give a name involving retribution/justice against arrogance to a character who IS arrogant. An evil character won't be involved with rightful retribution, but that is the whole deal with Nemesis.

I'm not saying that the link you're making isn't reasonable, but Nemesis does not literally mean black/dark as you initially suggested. Nor is it necessarily evil. A force to be feared, certainly, but not evil by default. That's why using "Nemesis Prime" for an evil clone/version of Optimus just doesn't fit for me.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  6. KFGatri

Ebay:
    A nameslap means the name doesn't fit the character. IMO Scourge is a perfect fit for the RiD guy. I have no illusions that it was done to retain the trademark, but in this case it works beautifully.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BWIguanusfan2

BWIguanusfan2 fan of BW Iguanus

YouTube (Legacy):
    how could I made such a foolish error!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Mandatory Stunning and Brave Fiction in Fiction

Yeah, I understand and have partaken in the different universes myself. I just felt mentioning that might prevent an argument with all the head canons going around these days. Some folks don't follow other universes besides the one, or ones they like or grew up with. Not that there is anything wrong with either side of that argument. I'm staying neutral on that and meant no offense to anyone. :bay 

9. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

Blackarachnia

• Like Like x 1
  10. Primeultra

same here
    While the goddess Nemesis May have been doling out vengeance as a form of "retNemesis also means "retributive justice" and those that hand out vengeance and punishment are always going to be seen negatively
    Just take a look at how the angel of death has been viewed in both people of religion and modern fiction.......the personification of Death is almost always as bad, evil, dirty Something to fight off to the bitter end Even when the personification of death is sleeping doing its job

I don’t feel the word nemesis has to be evil or dark by default but let’s face it the word has been used with the concept of tge bad guys for a very long time

look at the modern definition

the inescapable agent of someone's or something's downfall

a long-standing rival; an archenemy

How many times have we heard that the joker is the nemesis of Batman or Lex Luthor the nemesis of Superman. Even the beast wars creators decided to name the g1 Deceptacon ship the Nemesis

shows like The big bang theory with Sheldon Cooper describing Will Wheaton as his nemesis......Sure if it was played for Joke but at the same time it still has the same undertones......Will Wheaton was the bad guy in the context

And with that in mind using "Nemesis Prime" for an evil clone/version of Optimus fit quite well Conceptually

The reason I don’t like it is because I feel it implies a long-standing relationship between the two......and since the original G1 continuities didn’t have a Nemesis Prime I feel it’s a poor choice of a name

• Like Like x 1
  11. Primeultra

In my book, abd I feel most peoples, a name slap is when a company reuses a name (Largely to retain the rights to the name) on a new character and that new character Doesn’t resemble the original character In any shape or form physically or literally

So while the name “Scourge” may still fit the character we got, The character looks absolutely nothing like the original and ask absolutely nothing like the original

And since it wasn’t the intent to reimagine the original character, The nameing him as Scourge could very well fit the Definition of a name slap

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The problem I have with that logic is how so many TFs already have names that aren't unique to Transformers. Most Transformers have names that are a portmanteau of real words or just real words with no changes. If we aren't allowed to reuse names without them being a nameslap it calls to mind the logic when naming the originals. "Scourge" is a real word, not unique to Transformers, so why can't it be used again for another character? Transformers didn't invent the word, was it a nameslap when using it for the original? Who's to say RID Scourge was named for the G1 character and not simply because the name fit? Same thing with Bulkhead, or Lugnut, or Barricade, or any "nameslap" that went on to be far more recognized and synonymous with the name than the originals because the name was chosen specifically because it fit them.

• Like Like x 3
  13. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Scourge is in no way an attempt to reimagine his G1 namesake, but the name nonetheless is a perfect fit - "a person or thing that causes great trouble or suffering." Sounds exactly like RiD Scourge IMO. I never really felt the name fit the original Scourge at all, so I guess he was always a nameslap to me? It's a cool, intimidating name that the G1 guy just doesn't live up to.

And for that matter, how does "Cyclonus" fit old Bunny Ears? ;) :D :p  Works much better for a certain helicopter ...

14. The Adorkable Mike

The Adorkable Mike My third favourite colour is yellow

Instinctive answer: Tigatron

Literal answer: Armada Nemesis Prime

15. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

For a time before I knew g1 existed I always associated Cyclonus with the helicopter Decepticon from armada, not the one from G1 until in recent years. What you call a name slap for a certain character could be one that some fans will identify with. When I think of Red Alert I think of the medic from Armada not the G1 character with paranoia. When I think of Inferno I think of the crazy fire ant, not the G1 character.

• Like Like x 3
  16. mattph76

mattph76 Well-Known Member

Nemesis Prime/Scourge is cool, but I think Soundblaster wears the Black & Red better.

20210901_233914.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Revoticus

Revoticus Splitting headache

I like Black Convoy, Scourge (RID01), Optimus Primal, Nemesis Prime, Ravage, Soundblaster, Grand Scourge, The Fallen, ROTF Jetfire, Armada Optimus (in black?), Lockdown, movie Barricade, TLK Hot Rod and HOBumblebee.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The worst thing they ever did to movie Barricade was paint him blue. He’s a bad cop & blue- even navy blue- just looks too friendly & upstanding on him.

B1416D05-AC20-4EFF-AB60-AFDDB95DE226.jpeg 4BD862A3-AE84-4020-B646-3C4184691EF3.jpeg

Paint it black!
    3E3DA37E-0458-4E70-A7F4-518E9863B8C9.jpeg

19. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jazz, both G1 and Movie.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    but he’s white in G1. And silver in the movie.

• Like Like x 1