Favorite Black Transformer

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Aug 30, 2021.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I second a vote for Nemesis Prime. Especially since Scourge was a blue and white space boat.

Ohhhhhhhh absolutely.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Shadow Blade Megatron from Animated and Black Convoy from Car Robots, between those two it's hard to decide.

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    There are more than one Cybertronian called Scourge in the multiverse. And RiD’01 Scourge is unrelated to Nemesis Prime. The two are not interchangeable even if they are both Optimus Prime repaints with a similar color scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Mandatory Stunning and Brave Fiction in Fiction

Megatron X

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Mandatory Stunning and Brave Fiction in Fiction

Not everyone includes multiverse in their head canon.

6. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    It still exists. And given all the different universes around, it’s impossible to ignore. The movies, G1, IDW, Prime, and Cyberverse are all different universes in the multiverse.

• Like Like x 1
  7. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    That sterling moment when you assumed blue text wasn't necessary...

For the record, the Japanese name for the character, which was the first iteration of said character, was Black Battle Convoy, which essentially was "Evil Optimus Prime". Nemesis fits better for a translation, and they thankfully stuck with that for every iteration afterward.

8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Yes I know Black Convoy’s Japanese name. I have the Car Robots toy. But his American name is still Scourge, not Nemesis Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  9. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Thank you for sharing that, I was totally unaware of Saban's garbage name slaps.

10. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

To paraphrase the most logical mind

There are other forms on language on Earth, . Only American arrogance would assume the message must be meant for Americans .

11. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    But that isn't Nemesis Prime. That's Scourge!

• Like Like x 1
  12. KFGatri

Ebay:
    raw.gif

13. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I think for the moment, off the top of my head, I'd have to go with Megatronia! I think she just has an overall much better colour scheme than Victorion! The blacks with the colour accents just look so good!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. SecretWyvern

SecretWyvern Tax fraud is the right of all sentient beings

Ah, we're back to arguing Black Convoy isn't Black Convoy because Hasbro didn't come up with the name Nemesis Prime yet and wanted to keep a hold on a trademark?
    Megatronia is great, definitely want to pick one up at some point since I didn't know about it back when it came out, just gotta bite the bullet on some ebay listing at some point.

• Like Like x 3
  15. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Scourge is totally Black Convoy. But he isn't "Nemesis Prime". That the actual major character and the cheap characterless redeco are both referred to as "Black Convoy" in Japan is irrelevant. Sure, they're both Optimus Prime redecos with similar color schemes, but beyond that they're completely different.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SecretWyvern

SecretWyvern Tax fraud is the right of all sentient beings

"Cheap characterless redeco"
    The only time that's been Nemesis Prime is the repaints that didn't appear in a show or comic though. And if we say that makes him characterless, ignoring the appearances he's had where he has been an actual character, then we have to do the same for every character who has figures that didn't appear in fiction. Including RID Scourge.

The only difference between Scourge and any other Nemesis Prime is the same difference between any other character and their counterparts. Or do you want to argue Octone is a completely different character from Octane, or Slug is totally not Slag?

17. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Thing is. that's most of the Nemesis Primes. The ones who have appeared in fiction: Armada, which was just a manifestation of Sideways/Unicron and not an actual character. Prime, which was a drone piloted by Silas. TLK, which was just a brainwashed Optimus and not a separate character. WFC, which was a future corrupted Optimus and not a separate character. So even when he's used in fiction, he's not really a character. He's either just a thing or an extension of another character.

Scourge, OTOH, may be derived from Optimus and Megatron, but is his own character. Not a drone, not an alternate version of Optimus, his own character. Your insistence that Scourge=Nemesis Prime ignores the vastly different use the character and the knockoff have received. Scourge is cool because he starts out as a merging of the worst elements of Optimus and Megatron, and that's a starting point, not the sum total. Nemesis Prime is just an Optimus Prime toy with a cool black paintjob and occasionally some half-baked attempt to use him in fiction.

SO not really the same thing at all. Toys of characters without fiction are still versions of the character (to briefly answer your nonsense about Slag/Slug and Octane/Octone). Nemesis Prime, however, doesn't even qualify as a character when he does appear in fiction.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Forgive me for interrupting but I think the argument that is being made is that of a rose by any other name....

Nemesis = Black
    Prime = Convoy

So Car Robots Black Convoy = Rid Scourge only by name slap and by right = Nemesis Prime because not for the need of keeping the name rights he would have more likely have been named Nemesis Prime

• Like Like x 1
  19. KFGatri

Ebay:
    More likely he'd have been named Motormaster, TBH. And if he'd been "Nemesis Prime" I'd like him a bit less because "Nemesis Prime" is frankly a stupid name.

And "Nemesis" has nothing to do with "black". It's the name of the Greek goddess of vengeful fate, who enforces retribution on those consumed with arrogance or hubris. It's a poor name for RiD Scourge, who is the embodiment of hubris. Sure, it also means rival, but "Rival Prime" doesn't really work. Megatron is already Optimus' rival.

(As an aside, due to my love of Greek mythology, I've always been disappointed that Hasbro didn't name Blackarachnia "Arachne". Of course, that would have been harder or even impossible to trademark.)

If anything, Nemesis Prime should be an evil version of Elita-1, since Nemesis is the name of a goddess. But it would still sound dumb.

Scourge isn't a nameslap - he's the best use of the name, and far more fitting than the flying soapdish.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

The funny thing is that the first major Nemesis Prime isn't Black Convoy in Japan ... he's Scourge. So the people who made Micron thought Scourge was the better name (he was even constructed by Unicron this time) then the dubbers backpedaled creating the name Nemesis Prime instead.