Father's Rights? Men Want Right To Turn Down Fatherhood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViperDragon, Mar 10, 2006.

1. TSFC

TSFC Banned

What about the women that have the guts to go at it with you? Hmm? Yeah, we dropped our pants, but they popped their legs open. I mean it's not a one sided issue here, and a lot of people forget that.

What about all the fathers that wanted their child but the mother gave it up for adoption, or aborted? No say out of the father at all, but now that she's had one and the man had no say in it...where's the fairness?

1.) Yes, I know life isn't fair.
    2.) I know it's the woman's body, her right to choose, and the man had a say in it by not using a condom.

Yeah we get that. Still doesn't answer the question.

2. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I just wish all the laws would change to where every one had to take responcibility for their own actions. Can't see that happening anytime soon.

Unless South Dakoda has anything to say about it.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's a mans world so it's fair that we should have equal responsibilities as well.

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Men have the right to choose also. They are equally protected under the law.

If a man gets pumped full of DNA and ends up pregnant, then he has the same rights to abort/birth/adopt the baby. Arnold Schwarzenegger made a movie about it.

[​IMG]

5. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

That scares me more than getting a woman pregnant when I have no intention of having a child and she stills gives birth.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Why? You are not allowed to drive a car until you pass the required tests. They do so to reduce the chance of you causing harm to another person. Same thing here.

The scarier thing is almost anyone can have a child, but that doesn't mean that they can be a parent. The key is finding a safe and effective method of temporary sterilization.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I don't see that being an all-encompassing answer to the issue, though. There's enough cases of rape in the world where the male assailant gets found out and still doesn't want to pay child support. Do these folks also rightly get a choice to say, "Hah! I may have screwed her brains out against her will, but I don't have to worry at all about the consequences because I didn't choooose to make babies with her!"

In 2003-2004, there were an average annual 204,370 victims of rape, attempted rape or sexual assault. (source) I couldn't find the statistics for what percentage of that is women, but let's just assume for a minute that it's the best case scenario - only 50% of that 200,000 are female rape victims. That's still 100,000 women, 78% of whom will then carry an unintended pregnancy to fruition. (source) I'm sorry, but that's too many women who I can't dismiss as "having the guts to spread their legs for us." They didn't have a choice, and neither should the assholes that knocked 'em up. (In my humble opinion, of course.)

That's only one side of the equation - the female side. With a choice available to men like this hypothetical "Roe vs. Wade for Men," how many will be rape assailants would actually choose to help their victims with child support?

8. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Now wait a minute. Rape is a totally different factor in all of this. A rapist should indeed be forced to pay Child Support. I'm all for that. But this is all on a consentual level in this arguement.

9. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Cars and babies are two different things. One is a product entirely of man, and the other is the natural course of the world. Animals have sex, they reproduce. Humans may have sex just for pleasure, but it is still an evolutionary adaptation for the survival of a species. I have no interest in the government telling me they know me and my body better than I do and will decide when the time is right for me to reproduce.

Granted, that may seem like a good idea for the idiots out there but you can't have a law that only applies to the idiots of the world so everyone would have to undergo the procedure.

Now then, this is getting dangerously into politics so I won't go into it any further as to why I think that would be a bad idea.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm looking at this from a very black and white perspective. IMO, if you're going to have sex with someone, then you should acknowledge the risk of pregnancy.

Both parents should be made responsible for the upbringing of their child. Obviously adoption should still be availible, but parents should be encouraged to raise the child jointly.

Actually, I don't know. I've changed my mind while typing this post. My intial thought was Fathers shouldn't be able to turn down fatherhood, but get more rights about custody. But then when you factor in adoption, that gets complicated, both parents have effectively cut off contact with the child, disowned parantage.

I'll have to think on this a bit.

11. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

I agree men should have the rights to choose, just like a woman.

But think about this; would you rather pay some cash every month or have to give birth, raise the kid, and pay for everything else that isn't covered by the Dad?

I think even if Men don't have a say in the matter wheather to pay child support or not the woman has the worst end of the deal. The man can get up and go as long as he pays the money every month, but the woman has to stay with the kid and if the guy bails out on the kid she's the one whose gonna hurt in the short run, but the kid's gonna hurt in the long run.

In short; yeah guys should have a say, but it's both the parents responsibility. They decided to have sex and spawn the kid and they should both ay for it and I think if the guy makes it especially clear he wants no kids and in some way they have a kid and woman is found at fault (for not taking her birth control pills or somthing) the man should have a say wheather to pay up the cash every 4 weeks. Other than that...TOUGH NOOGIES ASSHOLE! :ev: 

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

He may have- they do leak sometimes. And what if the woman was (or claimed to be) using protection (such as the pill) which can often be more effective than a condom? If that fails - or worse, she lied (and it happens more often than I'd like to think) - what then?

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my opinion, if you're having sex and the end result is a child, you should be prepared to take responsibility for it. Even if you use three or four different kinds of protection at the same time, there is still a statistical chance of a pregnancy (even sterilization isn't 100% effective); if you aren't aware of and prepared for that possibility, maybe you aren't ready to be having sex.

However, men definitely should have more rights. In the case where the mother wants to put the child up for adoption, the father should always have the option to adopt the child himself. The exception would be if there were some reasonable evidence that he would be an unfit parent, such as conviction for certain crimes or untreated mental illness (not "well, he's single and a man"). If the woman wants to keep the child, there should be an 'opt-out' clause in the law that allows a father to opt-out of paying child support at the expense of signing away all parental rights; this 'opt-out' clause would not be available to men in the case of rape or incest. In addition, DNA testing should be done on all children to confirm they belong to a man before child support is assigned (rather than just assuming, for example, that the husband in a divorce situation is the father of all children in the marriage).

14. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

In that case(it it can be proven she lied) it should be treated as fraud and definately give the father a chance out.

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I think it will fail. Women activists groups hold uber power these days no way they will let men get their way on this.

16. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

I agree with this. But the DNA thing, while a great idea, is faulty because not only does DNA testing take like 6 months to come to a result, it costs upoward to thousands of dollard the governments would most likely pay through taxes and such.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as the time goes, the only part of a divorce proceeding that would be held up by that would be child support agreements. It could be a concern as far as delaying a custody decision if the system were set up so men and women had equal footing in custody cases, but under the current system which assumes the mother gets the children unless she murders someone in front of the judge, the six months shouldn't be a problem. The cost is definitely a concern, as I did a quick check on Google and for the best DNA testing, it can be a couple thousand. The solution to that, IMO, would be that the cost of paternity testing is split 50-50 between the parties involved in the divorce.

18. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

We NOVA people think alike.
    I look at it like this, if you dont want a baby, masturbate. Its as simple as that.

19. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I have two boys and I have never missed a support payment. It sucks, yeah, but I'm at peace knowing my kids won't be neglected like my dad did to me...no payments-ever! I know what it's like to have a deadbeat dad, this is just absurd imo.

20. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Gagga blagh blagh

News Credits:
    It's sad but true. As a father, I have to prove that I am fit but I also have to prove that she is unfit while she has to prove nothing. I'm still getting to deal with that fact - 5 years after my son's birth.