fast food strike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doomtron, Dec 3, 2013.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I bet it's luxury to people who don't get to eat every day.

2. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Why do I have a feeling this thread is going to be locked at some point in the near future?

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

It's also a luxury not having to worry about warlords coming into your village, stealing your kids, and turning them into child soldiers...

4. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    It would be, but to get food...period... would be the luxury there......not "eating at a restaurant."

*edit*

Ok, I know we all have our differences in opinion. And I get what some of you are saying. That those less fortunate may consider things differently than others. I am in no way some rich snobby bastard. I grew up poor too. But I never considered eating at a fast food restaurant "luxury." If it was a fancy shmancy restaurant....then yes. I would consider that luxury because the service, seating, atmosphere and food there did provide a sense of extravagance, comfort, the whole 9. And for one of my cousin's wedding banquets, we did get that. And from what I understand, that was like HOLY SHIT expensive, and about the only time I've ever eaten at that kind of an establishment. Whereas some places like a McDonald's? Where there's like hard plastic seats that either fit your butt or it doesn't, ketchup residue here n there, the bathrooms smell like shit, and the atmosphere nowhere in comparison......ummm... yeah no....not luxury.

5. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

It's a secret to everybody.

6. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Fast food employees i remember get shift meals i know actually got chubby dipping into the steak n cheese at subway. Made night manager within a few months at the age of 18 . Its stressful work but i wouldn't say too dificult i remember going into work on lsd people got their food i drooled a little :) 

7. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Love it. ^^^

During college, I worked in a kitchen as a dishwasher, wearing a friggin' hairnet . After that, I worked in a factory 11-7 as a temp and going to school after my shift. I forget the pay-rate, but both jobs were $9/hr or less.

Why do that? Because I was willing to do what it takes to get by, to work my way up, find better jobs and make more money.

Seriously - are people now aspiring to work at entry-level jobs at Taco Bell and McDonalds, thinking it's some type of career choice? Has America gotten that bad?

8. smkspy

Short answer, yes. Living in a small rural town, I can empathize with people not having options for work. My local Mcds has had the same assistant manager for the past twenty years, so anyone working there has little hope of moving up the corporate ladder. Not to say that it can't be done, but yeah, the age of nice-living wage factory worker is a thing of the past.

9. transtrekkie

Guaranteed by who? Police don't come around and randomly check those things and due to the average inexperience of such employees they hardly ever even know to report such transgressions. I sure as hell didn't at that age.

Actually mean customers can be hilarious. But there's no denying that people are assholes and it's usually some wage slave that winds up being the whipping boy. I've been dealing with the public for over 20+ years now and still do it 8 hours a day so go yell boo hoo to someone else.

Exactly who the hell do you think you are? You don't know me or my experience, for all you know I've been doing something worse than that for ten years now, you have no idea. This is just such an arogant thing to say.

And that ain't right, either. I can only assume this is happening outside the US because there are laws against this here (as you mentioned). Whether or not you report that however... well see the response above.

Now this part I absolutely agree with.

I'm curious to know how you came to the conclusion that the economy is going to implode if people are making more money? Because, as I understand it, when people have money, they spend more money and that boosts the economy, not the other way around.

As for fast food being a luxury, it's not. It's DISCRETIONARY, meaning not a necessity, but it is not a luxury.

Although, when I have months where it's the end of the month and I'm wondering if I'll have enough to gas up my car to get to work the next day, having money for fast food does kind of seem like a luxury.

10. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    If people are making more money, those that take it from you will want more too. Inflation is a bitch. I think that's what MetalicGrunt was trying to get at.

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Wow. You cleaned that up in a hurry.

I hearby dub thee, Chairman of the Edit.

12. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly I'm sorry but it's not a matter of you filthy peasants crap if you want a job that pays more go somewhere else or go to school to get a job that pays more. And I have BOTH sides in my own house. I earn three times more than my husband, I always have, even on disability I earn twice more than he does. I am a high school teacher with a masters degree he is an assistant retail manager with no college degree he took some courses but never finished..... TWICE. After he got out of the military we started dating and a couple years later as I finished school. I was done with school and he was still going to school (we were both working at the department store Mervyns to put us through school) and we got married when I graduated (literally I graduated one day the very next we had our big wedding planned it that way since everyone would be in town for my graduation just stay for the wedding)I was going to start teaching while he finished school for computer animation. Well he never finished, he got promoted at Mervyns to department manager and started failing things at school until his GI bill ran out. I was disappointed and it caused an issue. That was in 2001 so in 2010 after years of begging me to try again (I didn't want to spend the money if he was just going to fail again.) He got some sort of ed loan thing and went to an online school and then he just kind of stopped going and gave me lame excuses. I forgot to do this or I forgot to do that. Well we were moving so I thought I would wait (and not tell me) then he just stopped altogether. So I'm sorry I earn more than my husband because I went to school and I worked my ass off for it. He chose not to finish school so earns what he earns as an assistant manager. Right now we are both in the piss pot because I am on disability (through my retirement because teachers are not eligible for state disability or SSI because we don't pay into it) and my husband got laid off in June (JUNE) and STILL hasn't been able to find another job in anything!! He has been on unemployment ever since getting laid off and health insurance is a BIG problem right now.
    So please don't tell me I don't understand because I do. Both situations, same house.

13. transtrekkie

Why thank you sir! Yeah, I realized I just didn't wanna be that much of dick.

14. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Lets pose this question if we doubled the pay rate of people in fast food would that be fair to people that worked harder and have strived to better themselves and their family? Going by that reasoning we should double everyones pay doctors lawyers janitors mall santas? That wouldn't hurt right?

15. smkspy

Honestly though, you're (metaphorical you) just as much a fool as the people striking for double-pay if you believe that the ultimate goal is to actually increase the pay by double. Those people striking for and those people arguing against are the only ones that see this as an either-or situation.

16. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I wouldn't hurt only if the cost of living didn't adjust along with the pay raises. But that's wishful thinking. Because we can now "afford" more, things will cost more. That's one thing some people don't consider.

17. transtrekkie

The real problem is that for the last several years the cost of things has been increasing while pay has been decreasing. At some point, the pay will have to increase to keep up. Or it should, in theory. Reality is we're probably just going to implode in on ourselves.

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The pay jump needn't be so extreme; hell they might be willing to accept actual benefits in their employment contract in lieu of an actual monetary increase.

19. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    I was being sarcastic you cant just double peoples pay. And 15$ is double and insane and unfair to others. More yes 15$ is crazy lol. No name calling smkspy ;)  i don't have mods on my side to defend myself here ;) 

20. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:

Not really. These protests are being organized and run by unions, and their sticking point is an increase in wage. They have been using that as their screaming point for 2 years, and to switch mainstream they ( Unions) would lose certain support from certain demographics.