Fantastic Four MCU Reboot.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rodimus74, Jun 6, 2019.

1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lawrence has the problem Natalie Portman has. Namely both are phenomenal actresses that are best known to many for their worst roles. Lawrence in particular may be the most talented actress of her generation, but she’s ill served by Hunger games and was miserable on the X-men films as they went on. The odds she comes back to any super hero film is practically nil.

This. I’m a long time fan of the Fantastic Four. Give me good actors and a compelling story and I’m there. I’d welcome a diverse cast.

I imagine part of the delay on casting announcements is this is one of the toughest ones for Marvel to cast. You have to nail the family dynamic while you also have to get actors that can nail the intricacies of the characters. Over the years the F4 have become some of the most developed characters Marvel have and they don’t want to mess this up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Reddit mod rank achieved

News Credits:
    It wasn't even announced for Phase 4, I don't think anything from phase 5s been concretely announced, so either way this is stereotypical clickbait.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Pfft, yeah you're probably right on the money about this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

How about just picking good actors regardless of their skin color? RDJ was great as Iron Man because of the quality of his acting, not because of his skin color. Just ignore skin color already. Michael B. Jordan is a phenomenal actor with a very distinct and palpable charisma on the screen--- but he's probably not suited for a Johnny Storm role but that has nothing to do with his skin color. (Killmonger was a perfect fit though.)

I can't think of a single example of poor casting in the MCU. Tessa Thompson is perfect as Valkyrie and she's black. The MCU would be less fun without her.

Regarding Jennifer Lawerence-- she can act. I actually thought she did a great job in the third Hunger Games movie demonstrating someone with real trauma, anxiety and depression. And yeah, she's probably not gonna do more superhero stuff. (And yeah, she completely phoned it in during the last X-Men movies too.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I don’t see how you give Lawrence any MCU role after her losing steam over X-men.

Fiege wants people who want to be there. They might be playing the role for 10 years?

• Like Like x 2
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Actually, as a longtime Black Panther fan, Jordan was probably closer in tone and personality to Johnny than he was to Killmonger. Movie Killmonger is verrrrrrrry different than the comic character I grew up with. But Jordan made it his own and it was great.

And that's another thing that can happen. A comic movie character might diverge from the source material and yet be great anyway, if the writing and performance are there.

In any case, any FF movie has an extreme uphill battle to face. They haven't had a single good movie yet. So the general public's impression of the franchise is 100% negative. That's going to be hard to overcome. I don't know how they're going to convince anyone to care.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I've been thinking they should try a FF animated series animated really well that adapts the best of the original comics closely. See how kids like it and then decide how they want to do a movie.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's a great tactic to use 5 to 10 years before you come out with the movie. Worked perfectly for the X-Men. Capture the interest of a generation of kids with your free cartoon on tv. Then 8 years later, when those kids have now grown to movie-going age, BAM, here's a movie. "Oh yeah, I remember X-Men." Name recognition is there, nostalgia is working for you. Perfect storm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    I mean. This could work since we're probably a good five years out at the earliest for the MCU FF film.

As for the race swapping... I'm not a fan of it but at the same time, I don't care too much either if the character is well-acted and the story is good.

10. Ramberk Magnus

I can understand the anxiety tied to a new FF movie but I also think that if Feige casts the right director, the right actors and puts out a subdued but exciting trailer— audiences will get on board.

I think you just need to get a director with the right energy. Like we currently got with GotG and Thor. I know John Watts is tied to director FF. He needs to bring his A game cause this will be a make or break movie for him.

I’m excited because FF is gonna be a priority for Feige.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Considering the majority of Watts' work has been in the MCU I guess how you feel about how well he's going to do with the FF depends on how you feel he's handled the solo Spidey films. To me, they're serviceable middle ground films (not great, but not bad either), but Spidey has been much more enjoyable under the Russos in other movies. Also, considering how he's handled the Spidey films, it's believable that he'd push for more diversity in an FF film.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ramberk Magnus

I completely agree with your assessment of his Spidey films. They feel very “safe” and that’s good/bad depending on how you view things.

But I wish Watts pushed more of a distinct style or voice with his work. Maybe he’s just a very subdued type of director or maybe he can’t with Spidey because it’s such a huge property. Spider-Verse showed you could have a very distinct style with all of the traditional Spidey elements. I’m still amazed at how much Spider-verse impressed me.

At the very least FF will be serviceable. I don’t mean that in a negative or pessimistic way. Fox majorly bungled all of its Marvel films, so serviceable in that context is great.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I dunno. I'd say the first X-Men movie, The Wolverine, and First Class are all about as good or better than an average Marvel Studios movie. And X2 and Logan are better than the majority of Marvel Studios movies.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I liked the first two X-Men movies quite a bit. Haven't seen any of the later ones.

15. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I always thought the best way to bring the FF into the MCU is just start them in the 50's or 60's, you can easily make the space flight and power getting and such work on a cosmic level that will allow time to pass. It also allows the characters to be well like the premise was intended, a family, just you can now apply the fish out of water concept with people from the 50/60s. It can also kind of keep the campish nature of some aspects of the four but set them in a modern age.

As for how to bring Doom in, you could easily make him a diplomat or something or a person Richards befriends while he was playing catch up with science and let that build off of that. As for mystic you can always hint he studied breifly under the ancient one.

That is how I'd do the story, casting and all those other aspects are key to but I dunno who or what would work, the four have a unique way of being and seems every time they tried to do it, it wound up being campy in all the bad ways, I'd say just give in and lean hard into the camp and use the time frame as the excuse...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. The idea I used to kick around was that the FF launched into space in the '60s, hit the cosmic rays and got their powers, and then got stuck in the Negative Zone on their way back to Earth and then when they escaped and finally landed, sixty years had passed. As for Doom, he was Reed's rival at university just like in the comics, boasted about being descended from royalty from some no-longer-extant medieval country, invented his time platform and altered history so he'd be the ruler of the still-extant Latveria in the present day. It sets up a roadmap for three complete films:
    • FF1: The FF in the Negative Zone fighting Annihilus
    • Doom: Doom as the time-traveling protagonist of his own film set in the Middle Ages
    • FF2: The FF vs. Doom in the present day

• Like Like x 2
  17. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Ummm…Deadpool?

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Those are a different animal. They're not trying to be what the others or what the Marvel Studios movies are. Personally, I enjoyed both Deadpools more than most Marvel Studios movies so far, but I don't really think it's a fair comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  19. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Then how come Deadpool 3 is staying R-rated DESPITE being a Disney/Marvel movie?

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

If I was talking about the best Dracula movies, I might mention the 1930s Bela Lugosi movie, all the Christopher Lee Hammer movies, or even the Coppola movie starring Gary Oldman. I probably wouldn't bring up Leslie Nielsen in Dracula: Dead and Loving It. Even though, yes, technically, it is a Dracula movie. But it's not trying to be or do the same thing as the others. Has nothing to do with whether I like it or its popularity or whatever. It's just a separate beast.

• Like Like x 2