Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Bumblebee765, May 13, 2014.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

On Rotten Tomatoes, this currently has 35 reviews putting it at 91% fresh with a decent average score. For a while, it was at 100%. That's good news, and it makes me more excited.

3. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

I'm probably gonna see it tonight. Anyone know if 3D is worth it?

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
  5. Mark

Just saw it. I thought it was very good.

I was disappointed there was no crumple horned snorkack but I guess they are saving that for the last movie.

Overall a fun movie. A little slow to start but fine once it got going. Thought the execution scene was kinda disturbing. Just the casualness of the executioners, acting like they were doing the condemned a favor. Made you think they had a LOT of practice.

I wonder how many of the characters will be in the next movie? Obviously Newt, and I would think Tina. Queenie and Kowalski? Maybe not?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    If this series keeps up, I'm hoping to see other magical schools: Ilvermorny (USA), Beauxbatons (France) and Durmstrang (Germany). Future stories should hopefully give more focus to the other magical schools, notably Durmstrang and Beauxbatons.

7. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Did anybody get the Rogue One trailer? Surely it was there, right?

8. Mark

Yeah there was one I think. Trying to remember if I saw it with this or Dr Strange. Anyway it didn't really seem to have much new stuff. But I'm not all that big on trailers anyway.

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Didn't get a Rogue One trailer. Aw well.

Not horrible by any means but I couldn't get into it aside from Jacob, Queenie and Tina.

10. Roadtrack

Roadtrack Well-Known Member

The Graphorns looked alien. They seemed like Star Wars or Avatar creatures.

Did anyone noticed Giants in this movie? There are 2 of them. One is in the background when we are first introduced to the MACUSA'S main entrance. And another in that goblin bar scene, where a house elf serves a giant a drink. At least, I think they're giants. I was wondering what they actually are. Giants? Trolls? Something else? And how can they walk in the streets of New York with all the No-Maj crowds?

11. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw it in IMAX and didn't get a Rogue One trailer. I did get to see a Rogue One trailer with Doctor Strange a few weeks ago.

main ones we got were

Wonder Woman
    Kong: Skull Island
    Transformers featurette
    Power Rangers
    Passengers

12. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fantastic beasts did well at the box office with 75m! Good news it's a hit with adults. Bad news it's a bust with kids! Looks like the early fear that not having kid or teen main heroes would hurt the film was right! Only 18% of the people seeing the film are kids! Ouch!

'Fantastic Beasts' Tops Weekend With $75M While Fellow New Releases Struggle - Box Office Mojo

13. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Personally I found the film rather lackluster, it seemed to be far too dull in places and lacked a lot of decent action or excitement compared to Harry Potter.

There didn't seem to be much beasts in this movie. And was it just me or was the film really dark, I mean lighting sources dark, either the projector had a problem or the filmmakers really messed up with the lighting because I had some real trouble seeing half the scenes when it was nighttime or low-lighting sources were being used like candles and the like.

I really felt this movie did not live up to the expectations created by the trailers honestly. It could have been so much better, the main character in my view was very underused, underdeveloped and lacked any sort of likeability. He didn't get much speaking lines either, everyone else seemed to speak over him and cut him off.

14. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    SPOILER FREE REVIEW

I'll be honest I was pretty pepped to see a new film in the potter-verse. I had seen a few trailers and expected to have some fun stepping back into this world.

And...

Look if I'm going to be 100% honest I was a little bored with it. I didn't care about the characters or where it was going. Ultimately I didn't get enough time to grow attachments to these characters because I was to busy trying to absorb every single bit of exposition that was thrown at me. If you are a die hard fan you'll enjoy it but I'm going to skip the next one unless I hear great things.

15. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
  16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Eddie Redmayne's Newt Scamander Will Not Be The Focus Of Future FANTASTIC BEASTS Sequels

The surprise revelation of the film was that American Auror Percival Graves (Colin Farrell) was actually a disguise for the evil Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp). As Harry Potter fans know, the dark Wizard has a very important role in the backstory of Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, who has been confirmed to appear in the upcoming sequels. As it turns out, the tale of the two Wizards is set to become the story's focus, with Newt taking a step back.

I don't think [Newt will be at] the heart of all of them," producer David Heyman told Cinema Blend. "I think he'll be part -- so will Tina, Queenie and Jacob -- will be part of the next one." When asked who the focus would shift to instead, Heyman replied with "[Dumbledore] and Credence and Grindelwald. I think they will be the main players."

So now Harry Potter has its prequels, in line with Star Wars and LOTR. I can't complain though, young Dumbledore's past with Grendelwald sounds epic and deserves to be on film.

17. Mark

Credence? Didn't he die? How are they going to handle that?

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Finally got around to seeing this, and I absolutely love it. I did read the screen play beforehand, so I knew what to expect, but still had a great deal of fun in the theater. Queenie was much more interesting than i thought she would be.

As for the beasts, I really appreciate finally seeing some of the creatures we never got to see in the HP films. Especially the niffler and billywig. That said, my favorite of the bunch was definitely Frank the thunderbird. I really appreciate the inclusion of a Native Amerian legend.
    Wait... Durmstrang is in Germany? I've always assumed they were in Russia, as the school was described as being in a very cold location and Dumbledore called them "our friends from the north".
    Interesting, but not exactly surprising. Hopefully they handle the transition of focus well. Newt was fun, so I'm hoping we'll see a good deal more of him.

20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    You're probably right. They never said where Durmstrang was exactly out of secrecy, but I thought I would be somewhat Germanic; Russian is also a good idea.