FansToys Sovereign or DX9 Tyrant

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Djs7p, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Some sort of carbon-based bastard.

Forgot to say: I did like Tyrant more after applying the Toyhax sticker set. The extra details helped draw attention away from his shortcomings, but having Tyrant and Sovereign side by side really shows the difference in quality, and no amount of labels will fix that.

I will say that Tyrants head and face sculpt are amazing though, and the gold cannon as well. I just wish they'd taken the same care with the rest of him.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks Well-Known Member

I think they took plenty of care when making the figure. They appeared to place value on having a well-rounded Transformer, on a figure that was able to be played/messed with, and that looks good in both modes. I have both and think Sovereign is a darn nice figure, but I don't want to touch him most of the time for fear of scratching or chipping something. Tyrants begs to be interacted with. As much as I like Sovereign and as excited as I was to open and pick him up for the first time, he feels more like an expensive statue, something to sit on a shelf, dust, and make sure nothing happens to.

• Like Like x 4
  3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I do love Sovereign but if DX9 had better feet I think I'd might actually prefer Tyrant.

DX9 missed a trick not doing a toy repaint. They'd have got some good sales from a move like that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

Didn't you mod the feet on your Tyrant? I saw pics of that and it looked darn good. If that was you, how did you do that?
    Also, do you think the darker purple KFC MP Shockwave hands or at least the fingers could fit on Tyrant?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Wow, the toyhax labels DO look great! Uncharacteristic display of subtlety on their part that really really works brilliantly. I think I'm going to have to buy that!

6. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

The current Toyhax set appears sparse and not sure that it adds much to the figure, given that you will then have stickers on the figure.

7. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    more =/= better. That sparse set adds JUST enough to make the mold pop. Was there a different set in the past?

Also, ALL my 3p figures have at least one sticker or decal on them already (the faction symbol), so it is what it is... when the stickers are small and fit into already-molded shapes, they pop without being distracting.

8. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

Sorry for the bad pics, but the more time I spend with this guy, the more time I want to spend with this guy...and the more I am starting to think about selling Sovereign...
    20200310_182910.jpg

20200310_182925.jpg
    20200310_182845.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

It's really a great figure. It's just not 100% perfect in bot mode with the feet and barrel shape to him. That said, it's a really great figure! :D 

When I got my Sovereign, I never considered selling Tyrant and kept both. They both do something the other doesn't do and complement each other nicely in my display.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

An angled photo can only do so much to hide those awkwardly spread out legs, though. Maybe if you can mod the ratchet joints into friction joints...

11. rikk

rikk Well-Known Member

I had both at one time.
    Dx9 is SOLID .
    the feet are tricky but once you get the hang of how they are designed he poses like a CHAMP !

• Like Like x 1
  12. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting discussion. I currently have FT Sovereign but he is a PAIN to transform, and so he is one of the few transformers I rarely handle (which is generally not my MO - I love transforming my bots). Because of this, I'm considering double dipping on Galvatron with a DX9 Tyrant. What's a good price I should look for when scouring the forums or ebay for him?

13. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

You can, just flip the gears around and they are perfect

14. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    I think this is the main reason people mistakenly think that FT's bots have a superior build quality than any other bot from the other 3P companies.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Djs7p

Djs7p Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    I've seen him on AliExpress for about 123 dollars :) 
    Online Shop Dx9 D07 Galvatron Devastator Tyrant Big Cannon Mp Alloy Action Figure New In stock | Aliexpress Mobile_en title

16. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

I know everybody's going to jump on my ass for daring to dream again, but I don't feel like either of them are quite there.

It's not so much the feet that bug me on the dx9 (on the shelf I can only see the feet of about 20% of my collection) as the shoulder thingies. They're just not the right shape. That's kind of his problem overall. He's just not very well proportioned. Looks a bit awkward and dorky. I can't quite put my finger on it.

And there's something off about the paint on the FT one too. Every shot I see makes it look too shiny. Makes it look like a custom, not a high end retail product. And his transformation is way too cumbersome to wind up with an altmode that just looks like galvatron doing a pushup because they flaked on hiding the arms like dx9 did. How they managed to make such an unambitious transformation so difficult is beyond me. It's probably FT's single most over-rated figure.

My ideal galvy would be A. transformable, B. a bit bigger, like roadking size and C. not partsform the cannon. This is usually where everybody tells me it can't be done, but I can think of at least 2 ways to do it and I'm just some yahoo who makes customs.

17. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Most Ratchets can be turned into friction by reversing one of the cogs. Has worked on all KFC/XTB figures I have tried so far. No More spacing issues on Kingorilla/Kingzilla or KFC Octane, MMC insecticons etc.

From this
    [><]
    [><]

To This
    <]<]

18. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sovereign's better proportions and build give him better presence.

Tyrant's curved feet, small hands, mobile shoulder pillons and ratcheted crotch are all the fails I see, but you get a better face, a satisfying transformation and a much better alt mode, because Sovereign...

This. I just can't pay twice Tyrant's price to get a lame alt mode. It's the same with Tesla, I can't buy that thing, luckily there is v2.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  19. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Realist

I went DX9, even when I was able to get Sovereign at $150 I passed after messing with him. 20200124_170701.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  20. Bucko1978

Bucko1978 New Member

Had Tyrant first and was delighted with until I got the chance to get sovereign after watching reviews on you tube. For me sovereign is vastly superior . Cracking figure and is my mp Galvatron. But tyrant is still a good figure l.