FansToys Sovereign or DX9 Tyrant

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Djs7p, Mar 3, 2020.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I don't have much to add. I've owned both. Tyrant is fine. Looks much better in alt mode, and is easier to transform. I love the copper paint on his cannon. But he's got weird feet, crappy baby hands, and a barrel chest, plus the spacing in his hip ratchets isn't great.

Sovereign looks just about perfect in robot mode. Great paint, solid heft, good articulation, imposing proportions. His alt mode doesn't look so hot, though, and he's not fun to transform anyway.

You could make a solid case for either of them, but I ultimately kept Sovereign and sold Tyrant.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Djs7p

Djs7p Member

YouTube (Legacy):
  3. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

As someone who rarely buys third party figures, Sovereign won me over handedly. That's a solid figure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks Well-Known Member

If you want to wait a few more days, I am receiving Tyrant Tomorrow, so I can give you further impressions comparing the two figures. FT Sovereign impressed me so much I started collecting Fanstoys figures after that. It will be interesting to see how Tyrant compares, for me.
    As well, if I decide to just keep Sovereign and then want to sell Tyrant, I can give you a great price on the Tyrant. Just a thought...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I honestly bought neither, but that's for completely different reasons (they're both too big for my taste, plus I prefer Marvel colours). I did, however, seriously look into both, saw several reviews and have experiences with both companies.

I think FT Sovereign is better looking and more G1 accurate in robot mode. (Only thing DX9 has over the FT version is the face.) The FT version also has a much better finish, being painted instead of the plastci colours of DX9.

However, if I were to buy either it would be DX9 Tyrant.

First the altmode on the FT version is pretty rubbish. Secondly, the FT version has a lot of die cast which means the arms have a lot to carry in altmode and often you can see them sagging (and age will not be good for them). Finally, and most importantly for me, FT figures are meant to be displayed in robotmode and look good, while DX9 figures are almost always incredible fun to transform. And Tyrant is based on reviews, no execption. And fun transformations and playability are more important to me than just looking good on a shelf -- I can get a statue for that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kept both, he' one of the few figures I have 2 of the same characters of. Both are great.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Djs7p

Djs7p Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    I do have the Open and Play Big Cannon. Don't get me wrong, very good piece. It's just that Dx 9 and Fanstoys respective efforts have really impressed me. IMG_20200304_142500.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

I have Big Cannon as well. He is great for the money, but when you stick him next to official MP and FT figures, the fact that he can be had for like $35-40 shows itself and he tends to stick out a little. He is fun to mess around with, with no fear of damage or anything. I have him in alt-mode on the bottom of one of my shelves.
    It is hard to beat the looks of this guy...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sovereign and Tyrant together...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Some sort of carbon-based bastard.

Tyrant has a better cannon mode, but Sovereign beats it in every other regard. Tyrants proportions never sat well with me; those stubby arms, thin legs and claw feet got on my nerves after a while. Getting Sovereign felt like upgrading from a Ford Fiesta to a Ferrari.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Djs7p

Djs7p Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Those arches on Tyrants feet really spoil the look of the lower bot mode :( 

11. Djs7p

Djs7p Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Think I'm veering more towards Sovereign right now........

12. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

Just wanted to follow with this thread. I just received DX9 Tyrant today and, I have to say, I am surprised. He is much better in person than he appears to be in photos. He really does look prettu darn great in hand. The only complaint I have is the ratchets in the hips/legs are spaced wider apart than is ideal, so you have to work with/around that. He has an energy and personality I was not expecting. I am going to have to wait until I have more time to mess around with and transform him, but so far, I am kind of impressed.

Bad cell phone pics...
    20200309_200601.jpg
    20200309_200608.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sovereign hands down.

IF DX9 did a Galvatron today, it would be a different discussion, which would be to get both or just the DX9 version.

• Like Like x 3
  14. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Still waiting for Abaddon :( ... But at this point, I think it won't happen...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sanity Bleeds

Sanity Bleeds Well-Known Member

I debated this decision for a long time before buying either. While I already had Mania King and the Open and Play's CHUG upscale, I wanted something more MP scale that felt like an actual MP. After watching a number of reviews and minimal handling of a friend's Sovereign, I opted for DX9 and have zero regrets. I might eventually pickup a copy of Sovereign of my own, especially if I can skip the scalper prices, but it really isn't worth it to me.

As many have pointed out though, it really comes down to what you want the figure for. If you're looking for great bot mode with shelf presence that you'll never take down, transform, and rarely handle, Sovereign is definitely the way to go. If you're looking for a fun and approachable figure you can fiddle with, or just want a great cannon mode of Galvatron, Tyrant is the way to go all day long.

Coming up on 5 years since initial announcement, it is probably safe to assume X-Transbots Abaddon isn't coming, and it's also looking fairly likely that MakeToys Cross Dimensions Galcatron may never release either, so at present, your choices are mostly still down to Sovereign or Tyrant, and from a budget standpoint, Tyrant is a vastly better deal. I personally think you'll be happy with either purchase, but it'll still come down to what you want out of the figure.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both and like them both. Sounds like a cop-out response, but it's the truth. I can't say which one is better, only that they're different. I love the look of FT Sovereign but I enjoy and feel more comfortable transforming DX9 Tyrant. Sovereign is a shelf queen, and rightly so. Tyrant can be as well but can't pull it off as dramatically as tyrant can. Tyrant can be handled as there is less paint on him to mess up. Leg ratchets splay out too far, but you can cheat. Proportions are not as accurate as Sovereign, but I found I can hide that in a variety of poses. LED canon is great on Tyrant. Canon on Sovereign known to fall off. Mine hasn't. Both have weird feet. Either you settle for the tap shoes with happy ankle tilt on Sovereign or the arched feet on Tyrant. Sovereign has better fingers but look too big for him. Sovereign's canon mode is just a fail for me. I hate it. Robot mode is where it at. Tyrant is sort of a jack of all trades but master of none kind of MP. Fun to mess with, decent bot and alt modes. Just not as polished and expensive looking as the shiny shelf queen Sovereign. The choice of which to get is mostly subjective. I wish DX9 would do a Tyrant 2.0.

• Like Like x 3
  17. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Most Ratchets can be turned into friction joints quite easily. Disassemble the ratchet, turn one out of ratchets around for it's not teeth on teeth. You might need to add a shim but it will then function as a perfectly fin friction joint. Have done it to all of KFC's figures as their ratchet spacing is atrocious.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

When I opened the Sovereign box my whole face twisted into an insane, manic grin.

I think that's all you need to know.

• Like Like x 4
  19. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I have owned both, and like #mikeszekely, I think they both have their pluses and minuses.
    Tyrant is a much better transformer toy, and does a much better job of being two toys at the same time. Transform is genuinely fun.
    Sovereign has a fab robot mode but his cannon is for crap, and the transform is hideous.
    And I use Sovereign most of the time. Tyrant has been in cannon mode for while.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    This. I'll probably never sell Tyrant just for this reason.

• Like Like x 3