FansToys release schedule (past/present)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ROXXOR, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh this tired old argument. "The factory costs are cheap so therefore everything is profit."

That's like looking at one line of a P&L sheet to judge a company's performance.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dead End14

Dead End14 Well-Known Member

Well everyone has to decide for themselves what they think is too expensive. I thought MP44 was way too expensive, and even then I doubted. I am glad I didn't buy him now. FT Thomas is at the moment not that expensive for me to say I won't buy it. But I am not sure how my financial situation will be in a couple of months. Let alone what the world's financial situation will look like.

You are right Transformers are still a luxury product, and if goes between them and my bills/food, they lose.

I don't think raising the prices is going to help FT. No matter what the production costs are. Higher prices means lesser sales. I can only spend my Euro's once. People aren't getting richer at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  3. f0cus

f0cus You can call me Sir

With the disruption to global manufacturing and supply chain I think it’s reasonable to see the price rising on these items. These are not mass produced and require manual assembly etc so the impact from supply chain and labour is greater. I would have expected this figure to be priced similarly to Roadking and Maverick so that maybe shows the difference in production costs FT are now seeing? +20%? Doesn’t sound outside the bounds of possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

Wasn't their warpath to be under 80 usd? It ended up selling for 99 usd. 79 to 99 is 25% increase. If spacechoochoo was supose to be 170, a 50 usd increase is almost 30%. I see that FT has increased all their figures by 25%.
    Is it because of coronavirus or their own factory?
    I thought when they own their own factory, their figures would be cheaper.
    To bad they bought their factory at the wrong moment. And got hit by coronavirus, so they have to close for all those month. I think that is making the price hike.

The problem for us now is, if we still buy out their figures with these prices, FT will just keep these prices in the future.
    Maybe we should stop buying them them year, so they go to normal prices again.
    I know nobody would stop buying FT.
    You will feel ripped off when you bought choo choo for 220, and next year he'll be reissued for 160. ><

• Like Like x 1
  5. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Simple solution for the price. No buying that.

It looks like they lost some money during several last months and try to get them back this way.

And USD become more and more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dalianjj

dalianjj Well-Known Member

News Credits:

So no one ask why they charge $88 USD for shipping?
    All I can say is ft44 retail price is only $125-$130 USD in China.

• Like Like x 17
  7. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

This is not a good time to ship by air.

I asked about it in the FT-44 thread.

8. FightingRooster

FightingRooster Well-Known Member

Will Fanstoys reissue Quietus T this year?

9. dalianjj

dalianjj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no

• Like Like x 8
  10. crdavismusic

crdavismusic Not A Well-Known Member TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think FT is testing the waters with this price increase. Because they produce in such small quantities compared with demand, they haven't had many issues with selling out in a reasonable amount of time.

If sales continue at a reasonable rate with Thomas, that indicates that they can continue with higher price points.
    If sales slow down for Thomas, but their other offerings continue to sell at a reasonable rate, that might indicate the price is too high.
    - Either way, they'll use the degree of success to inform their pricing of Blitzwing and Fort Max.

But we shouldn't confuse a price being too high; if you're willing to pay the price, it's not too high.

11. FightingRooster

FightingRooster Well-Known Member

will you be reissuing Quietus T or Sovereign M at all?

12. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Well, Dalianjj must be interested in people's take on pricing since he's reading this. Good to see you, sir!

Thanks for the inflated shipping costs clarification.

And thank you to your company for a very cool looking FT-Astrotrain. :thumbs2: 

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. RebelM

RebelM Well-Known Member

You were half an hour too late fella - Fanstoys rep just said the price of Thomas was 130USD in china so it's not them ramping up the price its shipping costs from retailers: -

• Like Like x 2
  14. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You misunderstand what he's saying. He's stating the price charged locally in China is that amount. Which is only part of the cost to acquire the product for overseas retailers. He's charging US retailers at least that per unit so his comment makes no sense unless he's trying to try to deflect ire away from himself.

The price gap many of you are probably hearing about for the first time now, is something I've been talking about for years, which is the reason why local sellers in China like Netclow, Baba, and the TaoBao sellers can offer you the same product at a lower price (plus shipping) than buying it from a retailer, provided you're willing to accept the longer shipping time and potentially bigger hassle if you need a replacement part/unit. They exist because of the price arbitrage they can do by virtue of being local to the production.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Quintessential Prime

Quintessential Prime Well-Known Member

I very much appreciated your reply @dalianjj . It's interesting, if nothing else, to know that the retail price in China is $125 - $130.

This kind of points to the fact that it's the shipping rates that are making this figure go up along side retailers wanting to have higher profit margins.

I'm not one to argue usually, or get emotive over such things as I know it's mostly wasted effort with little return. This $219 price just seems way off to me.

I know shipping rates are sky-high right now because of premium cubic meter cabin space - it's a real shame to think that retailers are using that as a way of locking in such a high prices even when we are 6 months away from shipping, and by then the prices may have returned to a sensible rate of normality. /If/ that is the case I wonder how many of them will offer partial refunds on shipping costs because a $96 dollar (per unit) additional fee on what is a product retailing at $125 from its origin country is really bad form (and they will be paying a much smaller price for bulk shipping orders as well, again passing that cost onto the final customer). Furthermore - if it's retailing that from China then those Chinese sellers will be still making a profit on $125 - $130.

It's almost shameful to think retailers are trying to benefit that much when we are all being effected by this tragic circumstance.

Seriously. Shipping from china on this product before the Covid-19 disaster would realistically have been closer to $25/30. So to go from what should have been a $155 - $160 "all in" purchase all the way to $219! seems, to me, a huge jump - especially when based on a /current/ shipping cost, which may very well have returned to its baseline price by October.

Like I said TFS are asking $149 (still $19 more (on the higher side) than what Dalianjj is saying is the retail price in China) /and/ a further $88 shipping! It's ridiculous. That's between a 10 - 15% increase on the retail price as well as an insane shipping price.

I'm sorry - but $219 is way too much for this. I don't get how people can be happy, or accepting to pay it.

To me, it looks very much like FT are keeping the price fair but retailers are the ones trying to hike it up. What they should be saying is "So, the figure is $130 -$140 (after we've had to import it) and we'll take a shipping payment in October when we all know what the state of the postal economy is. If it's still $88 dollars then, fair enough, but we don't know that yet so to lock in a price based on something that may very well change is down right extortion.

Again, thank you for the reply in clearing up the Chinese retail price.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    The news keeps pushing the end of this further and further out. It could be them covering for a worst case scenario. Hopefully they'll dial it back once shipping reopens.

17. Quintessential Prime

It is unreasonable. Factor in the fact many people are earning 20% less on top of a 20% rise. It's a 40% jump. Why is it people accept these things when by doing so makes it become the norm. It happened to Takara - price goes up, ooh people still pay it... price goes up, ooh people still pay it... ooh price goes up - not so many people buy it. People are now openly showing that they won't buy Takara MP's at those prices so the price goes up again for those who remain.

18. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

The price gap exists, but it has never been so much.

• Like Like x 1
  19. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I calculate the price gap on this figure between acquisition price and retail price as between 7-12% more than previous figures of similar type, so let's call it 10% more, than it has been in the past. Which could easily be accounted for by the increase in both international and domestic freight/shipping costs that have been the case over the last couple months.
    Remember the retailer typically pays for both inbound (international freight) and outbound shipping (domestic shipping to your doorstep).
    For those who want both sides of the story, hope that helps.

20. Quintessential Prime

Even if a retailer imports a $110 unit at wholesale cost and charges $149 retail - that alone will likely cover the import charge plus profit. Lets say a retailer buys 100 units direct from FT at $110 - $11,000. They sell them for $149 - $14,900. That's $3,900 profit on one figure. It is not costing $3,900 to import 100 units into the US. They is still room for profits even once you deduct that. They have put the price up at $219. 100 units x $219 = $21,900. Less the wholesale price = $10,900 profit - for one figure - for one month. Less import tax and postage to customers - it's still a massive mark up.