FansToys FT-51 Chomp (Masterpiece Skullcruncher)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Jhund, Apr 2, 2018.

1. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

The line I've always heard is that FT only make a few thousand. This is to help avoid the hasbro heel. Idk if I 100% buy that, though.

You're about to bring @Christiano back for more "value of an item" philosophical debates. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Now I feel richer than Bill Gates. F*** yeah. And it only cost 240.

• Like Like x 2
  3. The Rhinestone Ronin

The Rhinestone Ronin Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm not on here that often. Don't mean to beat a dead horse. These prices the past year or so have been pissing me off. Luckily I've about finished the masterpiece stuff I want anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  4. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

This is the reason I sold off my FT Aerilbots (well except Iceman, working on that). The prices are ridiculous and sure I could pay it, I just won't. This is what Takara did (minus the lack of ability to buy it in the first place) and I wrote them off. The problem is, it's up for a moment and then they're gone. I don't want to play this game with them and it's not worth the stress to get their stuff. Maybe, maybe if they did a Cliffjumper I'd just get it from a scalper or something but I'm done with their line. I got the Aerialbot just for the bot mode. Even if I could find the last guy with the combiner parts I don't want, I can only imagine what they're going to want for that one.

I don't even WANT this figure. I wouldn't preorder it if I could. I don't collect past "The Movie". What's annoying me is I knew this was the way they were going. I'm just pissed to see my suspicions confirmed. This is the new Fans Toys going forward.

I don't understand why they really do this. They could charge these prices (which I think are detestably gouging people) and just put a ton of preorders and they would still sell. Why limit the supply?

Doesn't matter. I'm done with them. If they ever get their act together and stop this nonsense I'll be back with them but for now I'll find another competitors figure (probably XT) to fill my shelf spots.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  5. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Call Hasbro. Shut down FT, sue the retailers. Everyone wins.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SuperMegaAutobot

SuperMegaAutobot Well-Known Member

Snagged a pre-order to complete the HM decepts but so glad I'm almost done with MP.

I'll never buy into another FT figure that's part of a team or isn't a standalone character, this scrambling around and price point is no longer fun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

I got mine at baba because TCP froze me out. Baba has always been good and I only had to put $3 down. He asked for extra money for Sheridan and Hunk but it was fair compared to all the other prices. This is all just a fu**in joke. I fully expected $160 or at worst $200. Knew the redesign would be the Scoria route because the tail and back croc legs couldn't fit in the legs so they lowered the croc stances with shorter collapsible legs and they compacted and streamlined the tail to fold up in the robot leg to make it work. I also think they redesigned the robot back croc belly to enable the croc head to collapse inside better. Love the look of the figure and understand the compromises on croc mode that still look exceptional.

Glad to at least have all Decepticon Headmasters complete. Need Targetmasters but doubt we see them. I am still desperate for Brainstorm and Highbrow but have no faith in Maketoys. If they were dropping those two right now with Chomp coming out they could charge the same and make a killing. Shortsightedness. Hell they could do Crosshairs and Sureshot and do the same and I bet FT or someone would drop Slugslinger, Misfire, and Triggerhappy. It is so easy to finish these sets.

• Like Like x 1
  8. finalepiphany

finalepiphany Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    my wallet is thanking me for skipping this. I don't really feel strongly towards season 3, but if I did, this would be a hard one to swallow.

I love my Tf's and I've collected for years. Its not a matter of affording these. I'm fairly confident most members on these boards have disposable income, its becoming a matter of principal. I do believe the companies deserve to earn money for their product, I do believe if you want to pay these prices that's your prerogative. Explanations and excuses are not required.
    The basis of it is collecting is a function of our brains that we can or can't ignore to a certain extent, and there comes a point where exploitation by sole suppliers is highlighted in such a way that there is outbursts, sadness, venting etc.
    I'm tired of hearing limited runs. This just sounds silly. Those insecticons seems to be plentiful (yet pricey, not like its a new mold, they've already made their money), spindrift v2 is everywhere. Some figures languish on shelves
    I'm tired of hearing they are avoiding Takara/Hasbro. Third party homage figures are typically free to operate.
    I will accept additional costs in shipping and raw material. these are inevitable.
    Its purposeful choices that FT is making to drive us mad and its working.

Will I stop collecting? no. Will I stop collecting FT? no. Will i commiserate with you all and eventually be conscientiously priced out? probably. I may be insane on how i spend my money, and I may truly appreciate the mental serenity of fiddling with the figures. But one day, I'm going to choose mortgage/rent, a shared experience like travel, or a quality of life expense that will push me out.

and that's just sad. I don't want to lose my toys

• Like Like x 10
  9. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    I suspect they got the unwanted attention from someone...

• Like Like x 1
  10. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Time to befriend a rich pedo and push depopulation for the full effect.

• Like Like x 4
  11. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I went with Zeta and avoided the FT Aerialbots…. But that had less to do with price and more to do with a lack of trust. I don’t know how anyone can trust a big heavy figure from FT after they put out Terminus Giganticus (their Omega Supreme). So many people had legs shear right off because their design couldn’t handle its weight properly.The price was fine, but it becomes WAY TOO MUCH when it’s for something that breaks from poor design. The people ready to shell out for a 4 ft tall Fort Max, or however tall it’s supposed to be, are throwing their money away on what’s basically a guaranteed break.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Mandatory Stunning and Brave Fiction in Fiction

I wonder if too much government spending during covid, and printing out all that extra money to cover the spending is weakening the dollar value enough to justify the price increase in Chomp.

13. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

For the record have bought every FT up until the combiners (my last was Goose, who I wanted alone for his aesthetics.)

- Wanted both this and Thomas. Been high priced/low stocked out of getting either.

- High cost and low supply is actively shutting down people being able to collect their stuff now who want to.

- Time to reconsider, FT. I was a loyal buyer of your products until now. Let's hope the "fans" part of fan's toys, and their history of listening to us here has a ripple down effect at some point going forward.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Gee Won 1984

This is kind of sad. I don't even care about the character Skullcruncher that much, I just want to have a MP cartoon accurate set of Headmasters. This is the best version, so of course I'm going to get FT Chomp. Skullcruncher is part of that set, so I will be overpaying to get him. I am starting to question whether this hobby is a healthy hobby anymore with how expensive it is getting.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think a part of the cost of this figure was that FT knew they had collectors over a barrel in two different aspects:

1) It is the third of a trio. To complete a trio, you need Skullcruncher.
    2) There is literally no other competition for this figure. None. Not from one other company in MP scale.

They kinda did something similar with Astrotrain, for similar reasons. He was a coveted figure and there was no real competition for it. The closest was TW Devil Star, and it was meh. I don't think they'll be able to ask for 300, 350+ for Blitzwing. Too many people will look at their Ditkas or Gewalts and say, "Fuck that, it's good enough." And if they try to go out of pocket with Bandit or the last two Aerialbots, there's always Zeta for the latter and DX9 and XTB for the former, decent options all. Decent options for Jazz, Mirage, Trailbreaker and Soundwave too. They might get away with a little gouging for Cliffjumper, Huffer and Perceptor 2.0.

If FT really wanted to bury us, they'd come up with figures like Brainstorm, Highbrow, Alpha Trion, the targetmasters, etc.

• Like Like x 9
  16. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

I really do appreciate FansToys completing the Trio. However I'm sticking with Toyworld H-03 Swamper. Swamper may not be MP build quality, but he is nearly on scale (7.6 in) with the FT-51 release at 7.9 in. I'll pad Swamper's boots lol. He is also a fun figure. Even my old G1 SkullCrunch will still hold some weight for the more animation correct alt mode scenes. To be fair, he has always been my least favourite headmaster.

I got the FT Weirdwolf and Wipe. Toyworld didn't do Mindwipe, and I went FT Weirdwolf and Dracula back before prices literally doubled and didn't get sold out so quick.

I'd wish Maketoys would make a 5th come-back from the dead and finish up Highbrow. If not them, please someone . FansToys even with their new pay to play pricing, would be a welcome.
    Anyway, I'm sure this will be another homerun release for FansToys. But I'm having trouble justifying $250+ on this.

FYI... Toyworld Swamper:

Screenshot from 2021-06-01 00-17-15.png Screenshot from 2021-06-01 00-16-33.png

• Like Like x 5
  17. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Best summary I've read of the situation.

Chomp should be a £125 figure reasonably, and a £150 figure MAXIMUM. But no ... they're charging me £170-£175, the same as a freaking triple changer last year, a fiver shy of what a massive bot like Phoenix cost on his first run! (£179.99)

If we make enough noise maybe it will be heard this time, who knows?

We're fans but not suckers, and these prices are INSANE.

P.S: You just sold Toywold one more Swamper, @cj37a thanks! :cool: 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Gee Won 1984

I pre-ordered Chomp earlier today at TFSource with no problems. When I ordered him I didn't think it was going to become a big thing like it did today for so many others. I just spent hours reading this thread, and just realized I got lucky when I ordered him when I did with all the folks having problems completing their orders, and all that stuff. I'm usually not that lucky.

This is the first time I checked threads on here while pre-ordering the exact figure in the thread the same day and watching all the discussion on it. It's cool that releasing Transformer toys has become something big to so many, like drafting a fantasy football team for your collection or something.

• Like Like x 1
  19. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

This man gets it!

:thumb 

• Like Like x 5
  20. ghostfossil

ghostfossil Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly I think property price in London should be at the most half of what's it now. And millions are complaining.

So the 'should' word from our mouth means nothing I guess. U either go with it or give up.

• Like Like x 2