FansToys FT-44 Thomas (MP Astrotrain)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by eVac Z, Mar 16, 2019.

1. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knee issues? Get Glucosamine!!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. TheEldrazi

TheEldrazi Well-Known Member

What exactly is the knee issue? I keep seeing mention of it but no photos or examples.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

Its a problem in CAD or what ever program they used with mirroring parts. It is not a 180 degree rotation of the gear in the knee. The gear and the thigh with molded in teeth for the ratchet are both dicast. If people start swapping please have a good understanding of what is wrong, it is very easy to figure out once apart. Pages 237, 238

• Like Like x 4
  4. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    It triggers people's OCD. My copy for some reason turned out fine, but had I gotten one with the issue, it would certainly drive me bonkers to no end.

• Like Like x 3
  5. crdavismusic

crdavismusic Not A Well-Known Member TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have been driven said bonkers.

• Like Like x 4
  6. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    So basically I can sell my figure for 1500 bucks by putting a number of additional details on my listing:
    1. US Seller!!!!
    2. No knee misalignment!!!
    3. QC32!!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. 6Trash9

6Trash9 Ew

I'll be grateful just to get the figure :lol 

8. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Devastatingly handsome

News Credits:
    Mines QC32 too lol

9. Rich33

Rich33 Well-Known Member

Well it sort of is.

The teeth on the metal inner thigh plates are not aligned between both legs. In fact, as far as i could tell, if you reversed the teeth on 1 of the plates ie gap where tooth / tooth where gap, then they would be identical.

If the teeth on the metal thigh plates were aligned you would only need 1 inner ratchet piece design for both knees - so the different aligning on the plates seems to be the original mistake.

When i 1st reported the issue way back on p202 i thought there would be only 1 inner ratchet piece design as i had 2 the same, meaning on everyones copy his left leg would never be able to be aligned with his right (which can straighten). It would always be out half a click (due to the difference being tooth where gap, gap where tooth, and this is the reason you cant just rotate the ratchet to fix).

Supporting all this is the fact that on the inner ratchet piece there is no markings like L/R.

@OverBleed , who had 2 copies then showed a while later that there are in fact 2 types of inner ratchet piece (he got 3 of 1 kind, and 1 of a different kind). Again, no markings on either.

Following this info, I suspect therefore that FT noticed their original mistake - the mis-mold / design error on the metal thigh plates at some point, and tried to rectify using 2 different ratchet pieces, however they bodged this by not marking them up, hence the factory did not get the rectification correct, leading to the issues people are finding. This to me seems the only logical explanation.

Edit - As per @OverBleed s post just above (which i have only just seen) If you dont have 2 types of inner ratchet piece - 1 for each leg, you cannot fix.

As it is mine stands just fine (stands stronger than most) and it doesnt really make his pose unatural, just not uniform, so i have mostly learned to just ignore it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    So my understanding is that some ppl got good copies and some didn't. Does anyone just stand the figure in static pose? I don't but thats just me I guess

• Like Like x 1
  11. 6Trash9

6Trash9 Ew

This guy looks great just doing a static pose, no need for anything dynamic

12. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So what's the knee issue clearly explained with pics please? Also is this thing already impossible to get?

13. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

When standing straight, the leg isn't 180 degrees straight, one degree off.

14. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like @OverBleed has said, we already know the issue and the solution.

@God Orion FansToys FT-44 Thomas (MP Astrotrain)

The issue is one that could 100% have been avoided in the design phase. The teeth that are cast into the plastic part are tilted slightly from where they ideally should be. If they were offset by half a tooth you would find both legs having the same slightly off bend and probably no-one would have noticed, but they're offset something different. Since one side of the joint is offset it requires two different parts to mesh with it, otherwise the legs will be offset from each other.

Solutions for the end user?

1. Get the correct part. That would normally be from FT but it sounds like the only reasonable way to do that at the moment is going to be to find someone who has the corresponding alternative. If your left leg isn't sitting correctly than you'll want to find someone who's right is wrong - provided, of course, you're both under the same expectations for how it should be sitting.

2. (Destructive) Remove the teeth from either the metal insert or the cast plastic. It becomes a friction joint but at least you can position it however you please.

3. (Destructive) I'll have to examine mine (again, still pending) but you could feasibly either trim down the bumps on the side metal piece or where it fits on the leg and then shim it so both sides can use the same part. You're looking at a fraction of a millimetre to twist it enough since they appear to be 18-teeth (ie 20° per tooth, and it will need to turn less than half of that). Personally I'd probably opt for the metal part to be modified since you'll want to replace it in the long term anyway.

15. Iron dibot

Iron dibot Well-Known Member

He's available on the secondary market but the prices on him are bonkers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fiddled with mine a little more this morning. I really love the matte dark gray they used. I wish FT would stop using their metallic paints and make all their figures with nice matte colors like this.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

I love the look of this guy, have been following his progress since day one, and Astrotrain is my all-time fave Decepticon. But there's absolutely no way I'm paying double or more the asking price to make some scalper bastard rich.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TFC201482

TFC201482 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm finding it so hard to pay these ebay prices. Seems like I'd have to order from China. Least they are selling it for much cheaper then everyone in the US. Why the hell are people in the US trying to charge such outrageous prices? I mean, Chosen Prime sold their extra batch at 375 which is crazy but I would have been willing to pay that because they are a legit retailer and they paid crazy prices but if I trust/order from someone in China, I could be paying 369 which is even cheaper then that. So all these people going 400 and up are just fucking ridiculous. Anyone willing to even pay those prices are just crazy or money is just no object to them. In that case, lucky you. If you really wanna sell it, sell it for more than he was originally sold for but lets not get fucking stingy and crazy about it. Good grief!

Fans Toys isn't going to do a second run so even if they do decide to in the far future, whose to say they won't jack the prices up then? I get I'm screwed because I showed up to the game too late and all but I don't feel it's fair to have to pay these super high crazy prices either.

19. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i find that a lot of the higher prices on ebay are from usa sellers and some prices are so high it's like they don't actually want to sell said figure(s)

20. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of a lost kingdom

Open a petition. I'll sign it.