FansToys FT-44 Thomas (MP Astrotrain)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by eVac Z, Mar 16, 2019.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

The knee ratchets are crooked on mine as well. Haven’t cracked it open yet to see if it’s fixable, but I’m guessing from people’s comments here that it isn’t.

It’s not a dealbreaker, but it’s a shame that it’s such a prevalent issue with this figure. And it does negatively affect both posing and transformation.

Here’s to hoping for replacement parts being made available.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Early impressions from single TF through all 3 modes: wow, that's messy.

I think I lucked out on knee joints and (no) grease; the legs seem to bend and straighten together correctly, or at least enough that everything tabs securely in all modes. (As I said before, FT still needs to start a knee replacement program immediately, as it's a widespread problem.)

I had to shave down the tabs on the top engine block to get them to tab in properly. I don't believe there's anything you can practically do to affect the hole width; the combination of the forearm panels tabbing together and the shoulders moving on sliders more or less locks that width into place, even if it's slightly incorrect. Anyway, needing to shave the tabs on a $220 figure is not great.

The chest panels and shuttle nose/leg panels are terrifying. The leg panels and nose joints are way too thin for my liking, and whoever came up with using screws for pins on the chest needs to be fired. I think I'll be able to manage the chest panels now that I know what the weak points are, but again: it's not something you should need to think about in a $220 figure. I expect this sort of thoughtlessness from other 3rd parties; Fans Toys can and should know better.

Transformation is a mess. The basic gist of it is standard Astrotrain (wings fold up under the train, etc), but it's FansToys, so nothing's that simple. Ignoring the fragile parts, there are still lots of sliding panels and hidden bits that will throw alignments slightly off if you haven't already watched a video. I know people like to bag on Apache for his legs, but at least those are sturdy. I have serious doubts long term as to whether the shuttle nose/leg joints or the chest panels will last without snapping/stripping.

He mostly looks good? Bot mode looks good from the front, and falls apart on the back. Not a fan of the slider kibble on the legs. Train mode is definitely the best looking of the 3, but there are still random gaps in the side. Shuttle mode was definitely compromised to match the squared off box around the nose of the toon look, which is a choice. I mean, I'm positive FT could've made a better looking shuttle mode, but choosing to match the toon so closely means this is what you get.

tl;dr: it's a FansToys Astrotrain, with some KFC brain farts mixed in. He's really only the best Astrotrain by default; I don't know that I'd recommend him if you don't have the patience to deal with all the quirks and breakage points in the transformation.

-XCN-

• Like Like x 4
  3. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Has Showzstore been sending these out yet? I still haven't gotten a notice to pay for my preorder.

4. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    They woulda sent out notice like over a week ago, I’d pay it if you haven’t yet. They will probably ship out around Monday or early next week sometime

5. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Alright, I submitted my payment. But I wonder why there was no notice like usual? I hope there isn't a delay.

6. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's Chinese holiday until like Oct 7. Don't expect to hear anything until after that

7. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you check the junk mail? My payment e-mails always seems to go there even after adding ShowZ to my contacts

8. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

Top post. My Captain isn't leaving anytime soon. I just wish the quality of materials were better. I really appreciate you showing off all the modes side by side.

I'm a Kool-Aid drinker for Die-cast, but I can give or take the full paint job.

Reading back in the thread, this sucks to see the ratchet part must of changed in mid factory run. Some are reporting this issue, other not. Hopefully FT will make it right.

Anyway, this release: I think the hype is really Ratcheted Die-Cast Pro Paint job big MP Toon Astro-train. Hasn't been done yet. DX9 Chigur was GREAT, but it wasn't show accurate. I'm keeping my two Chigurs though. You can never have enough SPACE TRAINS. Plus you can really stretch Chigur to be tall with some alternate transformation of the feet.. If we have a giant DX9 BlitzWing, then I want a tall Astrotrain too.
    Anyway, your point is taken. I allow FT's prices when their aren't true alternatives. FT is always following up on those top characters with a Toon rendition for other 3rd paty's stylized view of the character. Most of the time I like the Stylized take, but sometime you want the heavy, ratcheted and painted toon version. i.e. FT-44, Ft-16 (Galvatron), Ft-10 (SkyFire) Ft-20 (Omega Supreme), FT-44, and I'll even throw FT Springer in their because of the correct color matching. However DX9 and Open Spring's were more fun.

However the mini-bots are becoming overpriced and lack the extras like ratchets. I'll take Badcube's WarDog over FT-41 Sheriden Warpath any day. $150 for that size and build? Toon accurate yes, but BadCube's is wider, more articulated and has the ratchets. Same for FT Beachcomber. Nothing wrong with the FT offering but one will have to be the largest fan of the model and character to buy them over the alternatives.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  9. SuperMegaAutobot

SuperMegaAutobot Well-Known Member

I echo all of this after my first transform, except I put FT well beyond KFC for brain farts at this point. Why are we still having to deal with this kind of stuff from FT, especially those screw sliders and misaligned knee ratchets? This is basic stuff. And why are microscopic pieces (that chrome smokestack thing) falling off mid transformation with little force? I was ready for it based on someone else posting about it and *still* almost lost it.

I've been buying FT since day 1 but have been skipping a majority of their season 3, mini and combined bots for various reasons and it's usually for things I perceive about transformations like this, and I'm glad I did (last I transformed was Sixshot). It feels like they should be more refined on these details at this point, but they have been slowly regressing for a long time IMO.

Pair this with how fast you have to act to get a pre-order in for some of their figures now, while having so little info about what kinds of surprises like this you're going to hit, having good materials and good likeness is just not enough any more. Thankfully, I'm almost done with my MP collection and will hopefully not have to run this gamble with them much more, but it's really frustrating to hit weird stuff like this 10 years in from this company, where they really could be top notch. This is coming from a place of *wanting* to like their releases more than I do anymore.

EDIT: all that said, I am still totally excited for their city bots like Fort Max. Just please stop hurting me FT lol.

• Like Like x 2
  10. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    So where are all the "This is the best figure of the year award" people at?

11. G1Dan

G1Dan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh hi there

• Like Like x 7
  12. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

I've seen a fair few passing through the thread, man.

But with all the emphasis on the knee joints, it's been a bit blink & you'll miss 'em ..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. Rich33

Rich33 Well-Known Member

This one was asleep...
    Figure of the year for me goes split this year to FT Thomas, and Studio 01 Cell (formerly Zeta Unicron).
    Both figures have issues and neither is perfect, but taking everything into consideration, particularly how much i enjoy the figures, both are easy winners.
    :Gouki: 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Yes, I think the misconception is that fig of the year has to be nigh on perfect. Neither of these two are (and as most figs do these days have their issues.) But since they deliver BIG on bringing the best MP level versions of Unicron and Astrotrain to date to our shelves, they have to bag it for me, purely on looks (i.e: I own neither.)

a) The HasLab Unicron is essentially a shell-former that won't offer a better bot mode no matter the improvements to the planet mode, and
    b) no matter what Takara do with Astrotrain from here in years to come, it will be lighter with less heft and probably an inferior finish - guaranteed - so peeps will likely keep their Thomas the same way they held on to Willis.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Quick update: so BOTH screws on the chest panels have come loose, despite my best attempts at being careful. The mere act of tabbing and untabbing the panels is sufficient on its own to dislodge them.

Honestly, even if those panels were pinned, you'd still be looking at potential breakage issues, because it takes way too much force to tab/untab them, and it's too easy to accidentally stress them. It's some Jabber-level stupidity.

-XCN-

• Like Like x 2
  16. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

I'm reasonably confident dalianjj will address these issues and those with the knees in due course. He's a good bloke and usually does where there are fairly widespread issues.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    Hmm I wonder why samples aren't sent out anymore?

• Like Like x 5
  18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I concur. Only transformed mine twice but both screws had come loose. Tabbing/untabbing them was easy after the first time, but that's definitely one part to watch for breakage.

19. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    They stated on their thread that they would get them this Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

Still might be foty. I’m drawing a blank on what came out early in the year that impressed me