FansToys FT-44 Thomas (MP Astrotrain)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by eVac Z, Mar 16, 2019.

1. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I just have absolutely no knowledge with 3D modeling and 3D printing, so that’s pretty much why I don’t just do it myself. If you don’t want to print it, your choice. Just me hoping.

Kinda surprised people being interested is entitlement to some.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Out here making whatever whenever

Sorry if I implied that, I specifically didn't use that phrase because I don't see it as a form of entitlement. It's just that no one asks a company like Fanstoys to release their design files, so it's weird to me that designers here on the board get that question a lot. It's not necessarily a negative thing by any means.

This is definitely another reason. =)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Nah I get you, and you certainly made it clear you didn’t mean it that way, but some people do which is what I was referencing.

• Like Like x 3
  4. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

If you're referring to me (as I'm the only other person in this discussion here), I wasn't talking about you. I was responding to his comments and the concept of expecting something for nothing.

He explained his reasoning and you understand. If you were the type to get upset or offended by it, then I would have been talking about you. I wasn't, so please don't be offended.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

The fact this thing is called Thomas cracks me up.
    That's all I got, I don't give a fuck about the figure, name's just funny.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Some sort of carbon-based bastard.

If someone doesn't do a 3d printed Thomas face for his train mode, I will lose my faith in humanity.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Ryuu

Ryuu It is Looooord!

Someone needs to make that a thing

8. tturbozx66

tturbozx66 Well-Known Member

Just curious. How are the ratchets holding up? Don’t know much about 3D print material. Are the ratchets nylon or pla? Are they spring loaded as well.

9. ultraman zoffy

They're actually full PLA ratchets with no springs. I wanted to experiment with using PLA's inherent properties as an asset instead of an obstacle (which is usually the case), so I played with adjusting the tolerances around the joints and ratchet teeth just enough to balance their grip strength with the amount of give needed to allow them to move as intended, but not with so much force required that it would wear the PLA ratchet teeth down to nubs. And it actually worked, the joints are all firm (and almost too strong), and they aren't just grinding down. This is a main reason I stick with Polymaker brand PLA, as it's the only brand I've found that is strong enough for most mechanical applications, but still gives off a great surface finish. Up until now, I used PETG for anything I felt needed mechanical durability, but that might have changed with this Astrotrain's joint design working out well. I'm going to be using this same ratchet setup on all the upcoming figures I design from now on.

• Like Like x 3
  10. tturbozx66

tturbozx66 Well-Known Member

Thanks. That’s great info.

11. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously, why don't you start your own thread instead of using FT's thread? I'm here for the FT Thomas discussion, not for your DIY project.

Can we stay on the topic please?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  12. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 13
  13. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why you need a 3D print one while you can find tons of Thomas the tank from any toy shop? Just rip one off, and it's probably cheaper.

14. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Most Thomas toys are pretty small. One big enough for how big this figure is likely to be, wouldn't be cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

16. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think anybody means it in a "gimme" sense, or like you should feel obligated. But on the other hand, when it's a digital file, it costs nothing to share it (except that people will bug you for support when they can't figure something out,) so for me personally, I'll share my digital files if I don't have any plans to monetize them (which I usually don't) and if anybody asks for them (which reminds me, I think somebody asked for one of mine, I said I'd do it, but I forgot to ever upload it). But I'm not exactly the most prolific designer - most of what I've done is wrist adapters for a couple of mp figures. Someday I'll have a larger project finished but I'm actually thinking of monetizing that one.

If you change your mind, though, myminifactory lets you sell files for 3d printing. They take 10% of the sale price which seems pretty fair to me. Not sure if you'd get a takedown but I've seen several "fanart" figures and Hasbro seems to mostly be concerned with preventing transforming figures.

• Like Like x 3
  17. crdavismusic

crdavismusic Vectron Labs-Only Collector

News Credits:
    You have faith in humanity?!:eek: 

• Like Like x 12
  18. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I do have faith that they'll make me lose faith in them. Pretty consistent that part.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ultraman zoffy

I sell files through Cults when I decide to do it, I just haven't felt like doing it for a while. It isn't about monetizing my designs, it's just my philosophy that folks should learn the skills to make their own stuff. Everyone starts out learning how to 3D print by using files from other designers, that's a given; but they should only do that as a stepping stone to eventually making their own things. Otherwise, what's the point of owning a printer if you're just going to continue relying on other people or companies to create what you want the way you want it (and being disappointed or upset when they don't)? =)

20. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do. Humanity is capable of terrible things and many of us are easily duped (and I'd argue that all of us are more vulnerable to deception than we think we are) but most want to do the right thing. We just tend not to be terribly smart about what the right thing is sometimes. I know I'm stepping on your joke but I never miss an opportunity to argue for the goodness of humanity.

• Like Like x 9