FansToys FT-44 Thomas (MP Astrotrain)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by eVac Z, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Part of the reason shipping from China has been so cheap is they are classified as a "developing nation". At some point they will lose that and higher shipping will be the new normal.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Developing nation with the second most billionaires thanks to communist contracts.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Is there any chance the US retailers will be able to open up more pre-orders before release? I missed out on preordering from my favorite US store (ToyDojo) and would love to get a chance to (as I'm sure a number of other people would).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly I feel along the same lines, I removed the sarcastic comments on my post because the issue is China's sheer population level. The cities have developed but rural China has not really. I don't want to get involved with actually arguing it. Just the fact that China has had benefits that it will (probably) eventually lose which will increase costs is relevant so I brought it up. I have no idea when it will happen (sooner if Trump wins out, later if China wins out).

5. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    I wonder would any third party offload their manufacturing to Vietnam like TT did if that happens. That would be crazy.

6. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A3U put more up so I got an order in and emailed baba to cancel. Even if he doesn't refund, the price is good and locked in.

7. FiveThousand

FiveThousand Well-Known Member

Hope not. Takara didn't have good luck with quality in Vietnam compared to China.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stephen Basinger

Stephen Basinger Active Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I would think contacting Toy Dojo directly would be your best course of action. I’m sure they’ve got a better idea of pre-order allocations than most on this board.

9. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Man, all the major retailers sold out of this quickly. I snagged one from Agabyss, they've been pretty reliable for me in the past, but I had to pay the full price up front. I usually go with ShowZ when items get this pricey, but if they're not gonna save me money anymore and get things a month or two later than everyone else, it's not worth it at all to go with them. Plus, who knows, the package might be over 2KGs, with how much metal FT packs in their bots.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Zyros

Zyros Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Asked Baba to refund my pre-order and he did so no questions asked. I liked this figure, but at near $400 CAD shipped (assuming the coming increased shipping cost) I can't justify the purchase.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ArkhamSoldier

ArkhamSoldier Plastic Addict

News Credits:
    Instagram:

• Like Like x 6
  12. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    madhaus has him for ~$315CDN

• Like Like x 1
  13. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

BSF took $130 to be the wholesale price in China. It's not. It is MSRP.

If this is the same as previous FansToys products, there will be significant discount for those who (managed to) pre-ordered. That would be closer to wholesale price, I imagine.

People want to blame FansToys or retailers for the price increase, but shipping by air is really very expensive now.

(Retailers are using today's price to project six months down the road.)

Retailers should consider shipping by sea.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

Thats why people should wait for reissue when shipping price is normal again.
    But then again, will the price really fall?

15. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Well I think he's confusing people by how he calculates margins. My understanding was that margin equals profit divided by revenue. That makes $210 on $140 a margin of 33% and not 50%.

Also @nhyone I agree that that the waters were muddied by claiming $140 was MSRP. Distributor price comes in below MSRP but sometimes not by very much as anybody working with Embarrassment Earth can confirm. Those assholes actually have to float their own SRP (note the missing M) to make anything they sell look even halfway attractive to retailers. It's possible the FT distributors that western shops have to work with are as horrible but I thought most of them were buying direct and would get real wholesale prices as a result.

So there's this conflicting view in my head. I know what my margins were when I bought for resale and they were so small I couldn't turn a profit paying eBay/Amazon marketplace fees unless I sat on stuff until prices climbed significantly. That was why I bailed out. I needed to sell $20 toys for $21-$24 just to break even and couldn't do that as long as Walmart was dumping everything for $12 with free shipping. Then I hear people tell me the rule of thumb for retail is to sell for double or triple what you paid, which I can't fathom because I never had the connections to buy anywhere near that cheaply and not for lack of trying either. But it's about the only way a business could sustain itself so it must be happening somewhere.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  16. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    It is what it is. I only want one, it’ll never be sold, $220 is a lot but I don’t care, and I’ll be more than happy for someone who may get this for a reissue $150. Just put this mother fucker in my hand.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

Depends on how you calculate.
    If calculated from 140 ( how this should be, because it should cost that ), then it is plus 50%.
    If you calculate from 210, then it's 33%. But 210 was never the intended price, was it?
    So we calculate from 140, which makes it a 50% price hike.
    Maybe Thomas is heavier or box is bigger due to the train tracks we get with him, which makes shipping more expensive.

But fuck, i'm still getting one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Good question. With how much it seems to be selling for $220, I don't expect a reissue to be significantly cheaper, no matter what percentage of the current price is made by shipping costs.

19. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It's all relative. If Takara hadn't gone off the deep end, the price tag on this would look crazier to you. And I find in business, alot of information is concealed/distorted because it serves their interests to keep customers in the dark (like the talk of margins sort of distracts from hikes in base prices that they're calculated against and vice versa). Sometimes customers are right about being ripped off and sometimes they just don't understand. When I was shopping distributors, I thought I could make it on what was offered. I didn't expect all of the horseshit they put me through, or skyrocketing fees/rent, or collapsing traffic, or that I'd pick some duds that never ever sold at any price, and I certainly didn't see Walmart dumping like they have for the last four years. My point is that retail's a hell of a rabbit hole to fall down...

(Note: I did order one but I think only some of the hike was due to shipping so people waiting for a massively discounted reissue are in for a rude awakening.)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just good info for anyone looking:

Margin Formula
    The formula for calculating retail margin is the sales price of an item minus COGS, divided by the sales price, multiplied by 100. If you sell an item at $20 and paid $10 to acquire it and sell it, your retail margin is $10 divided by $20, or 50 percent. Retail products have variable margins, even within the same store or department.

Markup to Margin
    A key factor that influences the margins on retail products is the markup percentage the retailer applies to particular goods. Calculating markup is essentially the inverse of calculating retail margin. You subtract your COGS from your desired sales price in the same way, but then divide that amount by your COGS. If your target price is $20 and your COGS are $10, your markup is $10 divided by $10, or 100 percent. Thus, to achieve a 50 percent margin on an item that costs you $10, you need a 100 percent markup.

• Like Like x 2