FansToys FT-39 Jabber (Masterpiece Blurr)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dalianjj, Feb 1, 2018.

1. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice pic.
    I was beginning to think no one got the clear chest with their copy.

2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I posted several pics with the clear chest a while back. It's just that very few people are using it. No accounting for taste, eh? ;) 

3. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

Mmt copy just shipped from TFS Express in China... should be her on Monday. Looking forward to getting him in hand... but not transforming him... like never.

4. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine is arriving Monday. Can't wait.

6. mustardcanbefun

mustardcanbefun Well-Known Member

Nah, just an IKEA fabrikor. I like that its sealed and locks, minimizes dust. That said, it doesn't have a lot of room in it - its temporary until I get proper display shelving built.

• Like Like x 3
  7. stinkyshawn

stinkyshawn Well-Known Member

wat autoboot sticker u used? such a dark red... lighting?

8. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

Looks about what i have on half of my bots. And if i'm right, its Oceans Metallic Waterslides.....

9. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

So with Emgo's JTI video posted, dalianjj's videos posted and a number of others already out, which is the one to go with transformation wise? Cheers

10. PsyberianTiger

PsyberianTiger Unknown member

It was a waterslide decal. The logos on the decal sheet are kind of opaque so the dark blue makes it appear darker red. Im thinking of changing over to a white border decal...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    At least they've learned from Quietus.

Also, not sure whether that should be blue text or not. Or is it purple now? :( 

12. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

My primary concern is what it looks like in natural light (i.e. when I take it out of the cabinet during the day). It's purple then.

13. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

In my experience (and no offense to other reviewers) but I tend to go with Emgo if I can. He tends to show stuff carefully and takes his time so you can "get it".

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gaius Freeman

Gaius Freeman Member

Blue or Green? What Color You See Says A Lot About How Your Brain Works

Colour is subjective. Blue is the least frequent colour found on objects in our natural world, and thus one of the more recent ones we have evolved to perceive. Also, blue has a narrower wavelength (I think it's something like 1nm vs 10nm for red), which means there is literally less room for error in blue colour perception.

Some people may see Jabber as blue, and be right, and some may see it as purple, and be right.

As the great poet and philosopher, Han Solo once said, boring conversation anyway.

15. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

No, color is not subjective, there are simply factors that can influence how we perceive the colors as the article you linked describe. Color perception can be subjective, which is what your article describes, but the actual color is absolute.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    My Taobao seller just shipped out my Jabber to the warehouse. I'm waiting for it to arrive there, get weighed and then pay the overseas shipping fee.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Normally I'd go with emgo ... but you can see him actively missing steps and having to backtrack on this one, so not this time.

I wouldn't rely on a single video; watch a few for a more general idea of how the figure works. If you pressed me, I'd say Chosen Prime, but also search for and read rich33's posts in this thread. In particular, read this post about the small square bit, with the following correction:

That square bit rotates on multiple axes because it's part of a chain of linked joints. In particular (and you can see this if you transform it on its own without anything else in the way), it's dropping into a diagonal gray wall, which means it has to use another joint to rotate inward as it drops down. That means that you might need to use a spudger to nudge it in slightly.

Also (and I am not taking responsibility if any of my advice breaks your figure): it might help if you pinch on the lower edge of the blue piece closest to the square joint. The idea is you want to exert force as close as possible to the square joint, without straining the blue joint connected to it that keeps breaking. Do NOT smush the alt mode together like a sandwich to get that square bit in. Using the knee transformation to wiggle and work the gray piece upwards into the square bit might also be helpful?

I have a few theories about all of this, but they basically boil down to: the figure was designed with tolerances that exceed whatever Fans Toys' contracted manufacturers are capable of, and the transformation itself is fraught with stress points. Which is to say, it was basically designed to break. My working theory is that the same designer worked on this as on Apache, but the difference in size meant that all the garbage they got away with on Apache suddenly became a liability, especially since all the joints are much smaller and therefore more fragile on Jabber.

(The implication here is that FT is going to be extremely limited in how they're able to deal with this. There are no guarantees that, even if they send out replacement parts, that said parts won't be broken or otherwise screwed up due to the crazy tight tolerances needed for the figure to function.)

If I get time, I might try to do a deep dive on exactly how fucked the design really is. Don't buy this figure unless you plan on keeping him in robot mode, forever.

-XCN-

• Like Like x 1
  18. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    After the livestream, Paik did another video, again with the full (forward and reverse) transformation. I don't know if the 2nd video is with 2nd copy of Jabber but at the 2nd video's 35:00 mark he was able to maneuver the same part just fine without any breakages like we saw on his 1st livestream video.

So Emgo's Just Transform It video isn't quite reliable for Jabber as it usually is?

• Like Like x 1
  19. OPisOP

OPisOP Well-Known Member

I caught it a while back, but thank you. I actually had my own breakage issues the right arm
    JPEG_20191021_021233.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rich33

Rich33 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reference. Now i read your post i think (though i havent got chance to relook at the moment) that the little square metal piece has to do both - i.e it has to be square to the arm assembly (or it doesnt fit) but as you say the connector pieces (from it to the grey) have to be diagonal inwards to get it into the grey section - i think this is half the 'fun' of this section...
    The 1st video posted by @dalianjj looks interesting but i dont have opportunity to test it out for a while, as it might include a stress point, but it looks like it may work based on what is going on inside - i spent far too many hrs on this one as i couldnt apply stress but didnt want to give up!
    The 2nd video posted looks fine, except if you need to apply anything but gentle force to unhitch the arms from the body (more force appears to be frequently the case) you stand a good chance of them opening wider or at a different angle, forcing the blue cover and connections.