FansToys FT-39 Jabber (Masterpiece Blurr)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dalianjj, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Anyone else having difficulty getting the collar to peg in? It just seems to come right out.

I dunno, there's a lot to like but also a fair few things annoy me. First impression was my lord, those hands are too small. I guess they're about the size of Kup's, but he has narrow wrists to help sell it. Chest is a bit broad for my liking too. Oh well, physics. I've been playing around with some Marvel Legends figures and coming back to Transformers I find myself missing an ab crunch a lot more. Feel like that shouldn't be so optional, especially on these smaller figures. I kind of give eg, Cyclonus a pass since it'd be very difficult in the middle with the sculpt.

Also not looking forward to transforming him, I guess that's just to be expected with FT now.

I feel like it's an Arcee situation, where there's room for improvement but I don't know if any other 3P is up to the task of dethroning FT. In that case, Ocular Max came pretty close, but I don't know if I'll ever get a version of these characters I really consider perfect. Apparently Blurr isn't that popular... which kind of surprises me as I always loved the character and original design.

Oh well, that probably sounded super negative but there's a lot of good to say about him as well. At least I have a decent Blurr in what I consider MP scale.

2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    There are no such companies. Quit dreaming. Next you'll ask Takara Tomy to fix their OP before sending it out.

Edit: And as I said, look at XTB's Dragstrip. Something got lost in translation between the test shot phase and the production phase. You can send tons of review copies, but something can still get screwed up in the end.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  3. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fortunately for us, baba knows not to feed the trolls.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ralliart209

Ralliart209 Well-Known Member

could some batches be more purple than others? Mine came in and he has a purple look
    F7A17C00-6660-4906-8521-D5B95D1BA9E9.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  5. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree. However, XTB has had issues with their Dragstrip that clearly happened during production and wouldn't of made a difference, just like DX9 Gabriel situation.

I do see benefits in early test shot reviews in that it fixes obvious design flaws, which FT seems to suffer from a lot lately. The only issue is I see by doing this is it delays production of the product and maybe FT didn't want to do that any more, since their list of "coming soon" blew up to double what it was normally in the last year or so. I also remember (XTB maybe) where the reviewer got attacked by the company for being honest about issues and it was chalked up as miss communication.

At the end of the day, we've been spoiled in the 3P world, since many companies don't do stuff like this or have after sale support. If there is one thing I would ask FT or any company to do a better job of is to make sure easy fixes like this situation with Jabber, Koot, Hoodlum, etc are caught prior to final production. I just don't understand it and to me seems like they went "Meh, its fine. Approved."

• Like Like x 1
  6. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Having viewed the photos in this thread on a calibrated, high quality screen, the pics where it shows a purplish hue look purplish hue on that screen. I have my copy in hand and in most lighting conditions, the metallic flake gives it a purplish hue. It is primarily only in the two scenarios you described - the overcast ambient light or very high K (cold temp range) LEDs - where the metallic can't "do its thing" and the dark blue actually looks blue, but that's the exception rather than the norm.

Most people see the purple hues because most lighting scenarios result in it. Also, many camera sensors have trouble reproducing purple, so the fact that so many people can see the purple despite that, would seem to indicate the purple must be there and fairly visible in order for so many sensors to even be capable of picking it up.

I think part of the reason may be because the purple it gives off may be from the metallic flake rather than the base paint color. As a result, where purple would not be picked up in the base color, in direct lighting it is picking it up in the reflections from the flake. And when he's in the shadows, he looks blue, but as soon as you shine more light on him, it typically becomes more shades of purple infused in it. Either way, it's definitely got purple hues and they can be seen in many lighting scenarios.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TRANZ4MR

TRANZ4MR General Thud

News Credits:
    I really think I'm fine with UT's Blurr…

But man, every time I see Jabber's face sculpt, I question it.

Anybody have a spare Jabber HEAD they want to sell?!? LOL

8. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    Again, at the test shot stage, there won't be any design fix. FT Scoria had those stupid hips, and when "reviewers" got their copy, all of them proceeded to speculate and say things like: "this will be fixed in the production stage". As we all know, no such thing happened.

I think people are misunderstanding how these things work. Companies like FT appear to be just a production house, not a design + production one. That's why their releases have ranged from incredible (RoadKing, Stomp) to mediocre or even downright terrible. They BUY or commission a design. Once that happens, I don't think there's room for "hei this thing does not turn out so well in practice." Unless the design is obviously broken, but then again the designer might pull a "everything works on paper" excuse.

9. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

Try turning the head backwards and pushing down on it that way to lock it in tight. It's some weird leverage thing but it makes it want to go in super easy and lock it down.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Hey, hang on a minute. This picture reminds me of something. Where the hell is Fans Toys Scourge!?

• Like Like x 4
  11. Springer

Springer Autobot Aerial Defense

You're welcome! :) 
    "I've got better things to do tonight than... trying to cram Blur's head down where it's supposed to be!"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Deaths Thread

Deaths Thread The answer is always yes, yes?

Purple, blue. Makes no difference. Looks like Blurr, feels like Blurr. Its Blurr.

• Like Like x 2
  13. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If that's truly the case (not doubting you), then the sample reviews are indeed useless. Thankfully, we have a lot of post sale reviews.

Like I said before, if I had one thing 3P should focus on most, however it can be addressed, its the design portion. QC, good or bad, can be addressed fairly easily. I'm still shaking my head at Gigapower's Grimlock with the lack of head tilt. It's just another example of a "WTF!" moment. I buy 3P in hopes to avoid Has/Tak's short cut design practices.

• Like Like x 2
  14. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    Don't get me started on GP Grimlock. I still don't get how a figure in 2019 can't have ankle tilting. It's mind blowing!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. MaxPower

MaxPower Well-Known Member

Just got mine from Baba.
    My Jabber is as purple as all hell.
    Damn. So disappointing.

Other than the glaring MIScolor...
    He’s a FansToys product. High quality in paint and detail, oddball transformation, great to pose and have on a shelf.

Damn that purple.

• Like Like x 2
  16. fttproductions

fttproductions Well-Known Member

got mine yesterday, from bot to "car" was surprisingly easy after reading posts i knew what to look for so had no issues or fears... "car" to bot though, there is no need for those front tabs to be so strong :wtf: 

• Like Like x 2
  17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

You are correct that purple is just so damn difficult in lighting but from all of the photos I have seen it is definitely a purple of some kind and not blue. I know the color looks good but I just cannot get over why these companies keep pulling this sh1t when they know its wrong. The cell shading and toon accurate stuff has just taken the color mistakes to incredible levels. I love FT and this is a good looking figure but I cannot justify switching out my UT Blurr for a shorter and purple bot with possible QC issues. I had all of the others on preorder except this one. I wanted to wait until it came out and was looking to perhaps go with it but just couldn't do it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

How about the picture in my post? Does it look blue or purple?

If it looks purple, it's your display.

19. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It looks like a dark blue because it's not in direct light and a good bit of it is in full-on shadow. What do you expect? It's an inaccurate reflection of the actual color of the product. Congrats?

You're not proving any useful point with that photo. There are tons of photos of the product in better lit conditions that show how the purple hues accurately.

Also, the bigger issue was that this color, regardless of how it's photographed or lit, is not the color that was shown all the way up to the day of release.

• Like Like x 5
  20. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Did you miss the part where I said I saw purple in that picture on two notebooks?

The first thing is to establish if the display can show Jabber-blue correctly.

(Also, as I mentioned, it is a little more purple in person than in my picture, but it is pretty close.)