FansToys FT-30A-E Ethereaon (Masterpiece Superion/Aerialbots)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dalianjj, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Handling both I definitely appreciated that FT didn't come apart on me constantly. Everything other than the tail fins on the back of his legs are locked in tight, and the tailfins do hold okay for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Looks like Air Raid isn't carrying as many rations as Skydive:

FB_IMG_1576312851780.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

I was looking at those comparison pics and wondering why Goose had seeker-style air intakes when Downthrust didn't. So I looked up pictures of an F-16A Fighting Falcon, and they don't. What FT has done is just make a real mess out of the front of the jet mode.
    20191214_084955.jpg

Why have they done this when Zeta managed not to? Is it "toon accurate" that way or just a huge compromise to achieve some other aspect? I'll admit, there are some touches to the jet mode that are slightly better done than Zeta, but that "step" a third of the way down the fuselage is a huge eyesore and a deal breaker for me. Ugly as hell.

4. stevetdda01

stevetdda01 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would’ve gone with Baba as well, but unfortunately I took too long deciding whether I wanted this or not and he sold out.

5. Knight Prime

Knight Prime Well-Known Member

If I understood you correctly ft put hinges there so it isn't as sleek.

F-16_June_2008.jpg

6. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I suppose the sleekness and silhouette of the plane mode is compromised by having to carry the ‘underbrick’ beneath it. That step corresponds exactly to where the robot undercarriage begins. Agree that Zeta got that curvature down better.

7. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    well that was a surprise the shipping email yesterday said monday and it arrived today BUT i have to wait until christmas to open it :lol 

DSC04686.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. Redinferno77

Redinferno77 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the photos so we can compare

• Like Like x 1
  9. Redinferno77

Redinferno77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I agree FT with that hinge breaks the aerodynamics of the plane, in addition there is another difference but in its favor to open the cabin, here the comparison with the real one.

10. Mick h

Mick h Fiery red head tfer

Baba or netclow or nothing

11. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

The Saturday morning cup of coffee always tastes better on mornings when I have a fanstoys figure with my name on it driving around town in a mail truck

Mad love to tcp & usps for getting my goose migrated north so fast.

• Like Like x 2
  12. the oaf

Yeah, my earlier post wasn't as clear as my sleep deprived mind thought first thing this morning... my fiancee wanted to watch The Mandalorian when she got home from her night shift, and I'm off the caffeine at the moment, so my brain took a while to pull itself together.

Anyway, FT made 2 mistakes in my opinion, that Zeta got right, but the combination of the 2 amplifies the visual problem.

The first being (as mentioned) that the point where the top of the robot body meets the fuselage is too far forward, which has pieces jutting out, destroying the lines and aerodynamic appearance.

The second being that the break between the black wings and the main body of the jet is set slightly in from the edge of the fuselage. This gives the appearance of a second "step" and wrecks the lines again. 20191214_124958.jpg

The problem with both of those combined is that it looks like the front of the jet has a large bar running across it, giving it the appearance of being wider at the front than the rear. Zeta's jet is actually wider, but as a result looks better proportioned than FT's.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Dead End14

Dead End14 Well-Known Member

You sir, are an airplane enthousiast :) 

• Like Like x 1
  14. ROXXOR

ROXXOR Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I know, right? I'm glad there are people like that, or the poster who made me aware of the position of counter-weights on the train wheels of Astrotrain.

I look at the alt mode and my reaction is "Wow, the lighting bolts on the wings look really good!" :D 

• Like Like x 3
  15. the oaf

I wouldn't say so. I mean, I like them, yes, but I'm by no means that knowledgable. I just like my alt. modes to look correct. There is actually a lot that FT did slightly better than Zeta, and you only need to use your eyes to see that by looking at the comparisons between them both and an actual F-16A Fighting Falcon. The canopy opening (as mentioned above), the slight dip of the nosecone, the sensor array (I assume) just behind the canopy, the shape of the rear stabilisers and tailfin. Even the underhanging bot bits, I was very surprised to see, were as small if not slightly smaller than Zeta's... I was fully expecting them to be a lot larger and more unsightly going by the renders, although Zeta have done a better job at trying to integrate it into the jet mode.

All this should have had me biting, as the more realistic the alt. mode, the better, as far as I'm concerned. Which is why I find it so disappointing that after putting all that effort into adding all those tiny little realistic details, they completely blow it by having that huge bar across it. The little details are nice, but what's the point if you screw up one of the major details?

Surely there must have been a way to avoid it. Having the whole jet body sit half an inch higher on the back of the bot maybe. Normally a move from realism with FT can be ascribed to 'toon accuracy these days, but that's not the case here. The 'toon model had unbroken lines, and even the G1 toy managed to keep the lines unbroken despite the shoulders of the 'bot jutting out. I think FT just cocked this up and couldn't fix it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Booyah!

PicsArt_12-14-03.08.02.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. astrotrain1975

astrotrain1975 FT-44 Thomas is my precious.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Thibkaji

Thibkaji Well-Known Member

TCP shipped mine out late on Thursday, original tracking had it to me on Monday. Seeing everyone starting to get theirs made me check again...and he’s out for delivery now! Seems the Post Office might be expediting shipments for the holidays.

Can’t wait to get him in hand later so I can complain about the botched alt mode, giant backpack, and waist swivel limitations!

19. ByLaw77

ByLaw77 Well-Known Member

I still prefer it over what Zeta did to the nosecone, which is unforgivable.

20. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    PicsArt_12-14-03.24.55.jpg

Aesthetically and build quality wise this guy is stunning. Backpack really isn't that bad in hand but then I don't have a problem with MP44 etc either.

Just a shame about that hindered waist swivel. But man. He looks the part.

He's covered in diecast too, he's that cold after being out in the van all day his Autobrand wouldn't stick at first!

Edit - hands seem better proportioned than other FT figures too. Normally they're very shovel like but this looks different.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 5