FansToys FT-28 Hydra (Masterpiece Six Shot)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CliffjumperUK, Nov 21, 2016.

1. mags2424

mags2424 TT and 3P MP Advocate

I like his humor too but I know it is a complaint of others. His skits at the end are usually pretty good too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I would definitely be interested in a set of improved legs, if done right they'd bring this guy up to a 10/10. I'm ecstatic over this figure to the point that I almost wanted to grade him higher, but the legs really drag him down in a very literal sense. I was also thinking about sanding those tabs, but wanted to wait for someone else to do it first so I could see if it had any negative consequences...
    I included the color choices under the "nitpicks" section as I really don't hold that against the figure (they're great, actually), I just never saw the episode of the show he was in as a kid, so I just wanted him to be more toy-colored because that was what I knew. I do like the toy colors enough that I'd double down on a toy colored version with improved legs. On the jet mode, I can't get the jet mode cockpit (the robot mode legs) to tab in flush everywhere, I think it's just a QC issue on my copy. That sort of thing really drives me nuts, so it kinda ruined the jet mode for me. I have Terminus Hexatron Continuum in jet mode for that though, that figure really nailed that one mode. Thanks for reading the review, I'm glad it was interesting!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Oh, okay. Well the cockpit is only the part with windows where a pilot would sit inside. The front half of the jet and nosecone are what it sounds like you are talking about. Very different from a cockpit. On mine that stays together perfectly, but then in tank mode it wont stay pegged together well for shit...

Yeah my primary experiences with Sixshot and where all my love comes from is the old G1 toy too, but after having several interesting different takes on the toy/character with slightly different colors, including the partially metallic chrome G1 encore version, I don't mind some color variations. Since this one is a G1 Masterpiece version I do prefer he be cartoon colored, but he basically is, just shiny metallic.

If you saw the pics I posted of all modes that I took outside my house, the only mode left for me to get outside pics of is robot mode. Been having too much fun with the wolf and I'm in no hurry, but I will probably transform him to bot mode tonight just so I can be the guinea pig and let you and anyone else interested in this know how sanding those connections works out.
    I do this stuff for a living, so i'm pretty confident I won't screw anything up. I'll get back to ya after I do that, whether it has any effect or not.

• Like Like x 2
  4. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I wasn't sure what to call the front portion of his jet mode (I googled "jet terminology" and it wasn't much help so sorry for the confusion) but yeah, it won't peg in quite right on mine. I can get it close, but it's not a fun process and it splits if I look at it funny. I probably need to shave some pegs on the nosecone. I've enjoyed your customs for years so I trust ya to come up with a good solution, I'm still waiting on someone else to do a chest replacement guide for Quietus so I don't have to be the first.

5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His "Just Transform It" reviews have him transforming figures to both modes now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he listens to the audience and it is very nice. He is my go-to-reference in transforming my figures.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Unicron9

Alrighty guys, did this,it worked out great, and I very much suggest everyone who owns this figure do the same if you care about transforming your FT Hydra figure at all and don't want to potentially end up breaking those shoulders.

Arrows show where to sand. I sanded the little risen lines on the sides down a good bit, but just lightly sanded both broad long outer sides of the robot mode shoulder connections. Snapping them in for bot mode still makes that loud pop, and holds very securely, but getting them to pop back out is at least 50% easier. Very little worry- Just a secure fit without having to pull nearly as hard to get the shoulders back out.

I do suggest sanding lightly on the shoulder connector tabs, then testing the connection strength, then doing a bit more if needed until the connection is perfect.
    What you are specifically sanding is the tiny lip edges that cause the connectors to latch into the slots. You don't want to sand them away completely of course because you do still want a decent hold.

Anyone can do this and I think the risk of eventually breaking a shoulder when transforming Hydra without doing this easy mod is much greater than the risk of screwing up this mod.

I managed to end up with one shoulder side coming out a bit easier than the other, but both stay in place great and I have zero worries about the force required to get them back out anymore.

IMG_20190118_120437.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Unicron9

And here are my bot mode pics. So now I have taken good clear outside pics of all modes. :) 
    We all know at this point that Hydra Sixshot looks bad-ass just standing in simple poses, so I figured I'd take some extra posey pose pics.

IMG_20190118_130951.jpg
    IMG_20190118_130952.jpg
    IMG_20190118_133551.jpg

I couldn't decide for sure which of these angles I liked best so I'll just post both pics.
    IMG_20190118_134325.jpg
    IMG_20190118_134337.jpg

• Like Like x 21
  9. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

I like this guy a lot. I've just recently had the chance to play with him. He looks great and I'm glad FansToys took their time with him.
    My only con are:
    a. The chest wings seem super fragile/ paper thin... though the look great.
    b. he has "lady fingers" in robot mode. I get that they need to fold for transformation and it isn't a big deal. However I might swap them from time to time with one of my Dx9 Hanzo's.

I think Hanzo is a better design, less fragile "feeling" when transforming (you don't have to be as careful?), and more fun to play with but Hydra takes the Masterpiece feel (proper resistant ratchets, and heavy die cast in the right places) to another level here. Plus headmaster accuracy in the robot mode really is show accurate; making show accurate Dx9 Hanzo look stylized. They nailed the cross between metallic blue teel and green.. and not slavishly make us buy another one ^O^

I'm not comparing this to Gcreation Fuume (another fine Six shot that I love); but Fuuma is pure IDW G1 stylization vs original/classic G1 anime.

I might be interested in a Greatshot if FansToys is game.
    Bravo FansToys; you almost topped FT-16 ^^/

• Like Like x 2
  10. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    @cj37a: Since you have written down your thoughts on Hydra and mentioned about Fuuma, is it possible that Hydra could use some of Fumma's weapons? o_O 

11. johnnysamson

johnnysamson Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My thought of this too, I wanna know

12. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Thanks to @ShowZStore my replacement shoulder arrived. A bit of surgery later, and Hydra is fighting fit once again!!

IMG_20190119_153308374-936x1664.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    I find it a little funny that people are getting their Hydra, breaking it, and getting replacement parts delivered all before my Hydra shipped from showz last month is delivered :oops: 

Although it is close. Maybe Monday or Tuesday delivery.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    That sucks dude.

My Hydra was actually from ShowZ... :confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  15. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    that guy looks like a literal 'weekend warrior'

16. Unicron9

Thafaqutakinaboot? He looks like he murders shit daily for fun, can brawl with the best of them, and rarely comes out with a scratch on him in the process!

17. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup. There's definitely a Friday, Saturday, Sunday vibe there. Nice pics.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OrangeDraft

OrangeDraft Just another humble servant of Unicorn

Mine arrived yesterday...
    Sadly, haven't had time to transform him. Need to study Emgo's video to transforn it...

Just playing with his robot mode...

His knee is weak, but not as annoying as I expect. It can hold pose well in all my desiring pose. But yeah, while play with it in hand, they can bend unexpectedly. Interestingly, when his knee bend in 90 degree it rock solid...

Robot mode is very nice. Not as versatile as GT J4ZZ, but still nice. Articulation is superb. My Terminus Hexatron is pale in detail and articulation compare to him...

I like him more than their Sovereign, at least in robot mode. He is my favourite Fanstoys product right now... But my Sovereign is never transformed, I wonder if I would do the same. Well, I have MMC one to transform back and forth, so it is not a big deal...

19. eatingcake

eatingcake Well-Known Member

sorry, been away for couple months so haven't been following...

mine's will be arriving soon from Baba soon, are the knees the only thing to watch out for?

20. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the knee is loose, see @Extrazero's posts and pic for the quick fix below:

Yep. Right at 31:27. I haven't heard of anyone else hear cracking theirs like that.

Poor Tigertracks. BSF always slams it on the ground when he's doing the size comparison. In doing so, he makes Tigertrack's gaps even more pronounced. This time even the spoilers are separated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1