FansToys FT-28 Hydra (Masterpiece Six Shot)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CliffjumperUK, Nov 21, 2016.

1. xcorpeo

xcorpeo Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well placed decals! I'll probably put them on like yours, plus one more on his crotch piece so he'll still have a symbol on him when I switch to the detailed chest.

2. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Go fig. XTB and Fanstoys are switching positions in QC stance and Fans Toys is falling apart. Wonder what happened. For me, my only defect of a figure was Rouge. Quietus so far so good. So I can’t say I’ve had bad experiences but everyone here is really hurting. Momma Mia...:eek: :confused: 

Glad for XTB and Keith. I hope both companies right their ship.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Alriiiiiight

Got mine today and finally had a fiddle.

His knees are sort of touchy, yeah. One touch and the ratchets just can't help but click over to the next notch. I'm not sure if it's just that the ratchet isn't strong enough or if it's just at a certain unfortunate angle that they always have some bit of pressure against them so that they want to move to the next notch so readily but I have the same trouble with my FT Stomp, too. Not to say he won't stand or hold a pose! But you just have to be careful with how you distribute the weight of the figure.

Onto the other modes, though! I transformed him into every mode save gun mode (cuz I can't be bothered and I never cared for that mode anyway lol) but transformations went well enough!

It's true, the instructiona hardly help at all when doing the knees for wolf mode (I had to find a video on YouTube to help me out) but after that everything went smoothly! I love the look of wolf mode and I'll admit, the knee trickery and how it brings the rear legs out to be better proportioned is pretty cool. Best looking wolf mode I've seen yet

Best cartoon looking sixshot all around ,in fact! (I even went so far as to toss the smooth toon chest on him xD looks great!)

Only other niggles I ran across is I can't get the second gun to peg on correctly for tank mode. One has to be flipped upside down to get enough grip on the peg, so it makes it assymetrical but it's just barely hanging on there. I figure the paints made the slot in the gun too small.

And the only other thing that caught my eye was his fingers lol. I took him out of the package and unfurled them and omg they're so short, haha xD
    It's nothing terrible, I keep them either balled up in a fist or holding a weapon but I had a laugh about it.

But yeah! Overall, I'm happy with this guy. The paints amazing, the sculpt ticks all my boxes and it does some interesting things, engineering wise, that I really appreciate (like the tank treads, and I dig how the wheels can hide into his shoulders and stuff)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Well having now transformed Hydra to all modes and played around with each one some, here's my review. Hopefully it will help some to decide whether or not this guy is one they want to buy or not.

I'm as much of a total Sixshot fanatic as one can be I think, but that doesn't mean my bias will make everything automatically great or flaws all forgiven. I'm much more picky and critical of new versions of things I'm a big fan of.
    That said, I do forgive some little things just due to how much this figure does, how well it does it, and with such great functionality. Very few figures are perfect.

First off, this guy has the most difficult transformations of any Sixshot, period, but that doesn't mean he is difficult by MP figure standards and definitely not by FT standards. There are things that are a pain at first then not bad one you get how they work more, and things that are either so hard to unpeg or move as they should that you feel like you're going to break it, yet that seems to be the amount of force it takes to make those parts move into position. That sucks big time. Makes transforming him much less fun than it should be, because let me tell you, the actual engineering put into this sucker is amazing. I'll get into all that though...

Here's bot mode.
    I played around with his articulation and was quite impressed, but I didn't get pics of any poses because I was anxious to get him to other modes.
    He has the shoulder butterfly joint deal, real nice stability even with the hips side to side leg movement not being ratcheted, and all fingers are even articulated. His feet could have used more tilt and his waist swivel doesn't go far, but articulation is in the top 2 or 3 best of any Sixshot figure's robot mode articulation.
    I give bot mode a 10 out of 10, though I think Fuuma's bot mode is almost an 11 out of 10.

IMG_20181217_193141.jpg

My first goal was getting him to car mode because ever since the G1 toy I thought it was kind of a cool heavy duty huge cybertronian death car. It was never trying to look cool, but if you saw it coming after you on the highway, pants would be filled. In my opinion, EVERY damn Sixshot since G1 has failed to pull off a decent car mode aside from Titans Return, which is just alright. Terminus Hexatron, Fuuma, and Iron Factory all went by the incorrect transformation of car mode where the front wheels start way to far back to make sense or look good, but this guy pretty much nails it.
    Took some fiddling once I thought I was done because I had the whole car a little bent due to the legs being folded in just a bit too tight against the crotch, but once I fixed that and got his wheels in place just right, he rolled great, felt sturdy as a brick, and looks like a Sixshot car should look.
    Only downside to transformation to this mode was I had to use a screwdriver to pry a couple of parts out. Very much typical Fanstoys there though.
    I'm giving car mode a 10 out of 10.

IMG_20181217_225822.jpg

Next to WST, which is basically a G1 comparison.
    IMG_20181217_230558.jpg

Autobot cars running for their lives from him. I love the scale.

IMG_20181217_231305.jpg

Jet mode does exactly what it's supposed to do, and does it well. It's very close to the G1 toy and animation look. That said, it really doesn't do much of anything else and brings nothing new to the table. No landing gear, cockpit is a little lower than the front half just above it which doesn't seem good for visibility, and the bot arms do not fasten to the sides (as far as I could tell) so the ends tend to angle out just a tiny bit.
    I didn't have to drill holes for the guns to go on the wing ends like I did on my Fuuma though, the wings stay in place well while Fuuma's just drop, and it isn't a fat ugly boat with big wheels on top like Hanzo. It's just what it should be and that's it.
    Getting him from car to this mode wasn't hard. I didn't need the instructions and it didn't take long.
    Although I felt using the wing base sword storage worked for car mode, in this mode using that keeps you from fastening the wings into place right, so I guess the swords don't store in this mode well. Looks like I'll be tossing those things back in the box forever. I'm funny about not being able to store all weapons in the alt modes.
    I give jet mode a 9 out of 10.

IMG_20181217_234159.jpg
    IMG_20181217_234209.jpg

Tank mode is pretty much in the same boat as jet mode. It does what it should, pulling off the most G1 tank mode since the G1 toy, and the engineering on how you get those totally hidden treads out is just awesome, but at the same time the amount of force it took to get those back treads into place... Well, I have broken figures with less force. I really dislike how hard it is to move some of these parts. Complexity is one thing, but frustration and worrying aren't related to fun at all.
    I also don't like that the cockpit is just a big blue clear thing with no white frame or tint, so you can clearly see the wolf head in there.
    But at least he has a cockpit for tank mode unlike Fuuma, Iron Factory, or Hanzo.
    Anyone else have an issue with not being able to get the leg halves that make up the big turret to stay pegged together?
    Couldn't find a good place to store the swords in tank mode either.
    Gunna have to give this mode an 8 out of 10 due to the difficulty of the back treads parts, difficulty getting the turret to stay together well, and slightly disappointing cockpit.

IMG_20181218_004029.jpg

There's not much to say about gun mode. This version is as good as pretty much any has been. Gun mode has always been one of if not the weakest mode for Sixshot figures. Nothing new here.
    It does have a trigger but no clicky pulling action like G1 had. Everything is sturdy enough to run around making pew pew sounds at your kids with him except the handle, which will move apart a bit in your hands because the wings don't peg together.
    In the grand scheme of things Sixshot's gun mode would be a low rated gun mode, but as a Sixshot gun mode I give it an 8 out of 10. Clicky trigger and wings pegging together would have made it a 9 or 10.

IMG_20181218_000024.jpg

Getting the bad part of Wolf mode out of the way first, transforming those wolf legs sucked. I'm still wondering if I did something wrong and worried I will break the damn figure getting the legs transformed back, or if I will ever want to put him back in wolf mode once he leaves it. Again it's not the complexity that is the problem here unless I missed something important, it was the amount of force required to get one joint with metal bars on the sides of it to pivot around as required for the wolf legs position. It very much felt like I was going to break it on both sides doing that, so if anyone has found a way that should be done that doesn't totally blow ass, please let me know.
    I did get it there though, and it looks great.

Wolf mode not only does exactly what it needs to do, it does it really really well. I do wish the head could turn side to side and the rear legs aren't super articulated, but you can definitely pull off some nice doggy poses.
    The long thick wolf neck, cool looking head sculpt that is pretty G1 show accurate but slightly better, the way the rear legs are not just the huge bot legs folded backwards but instead their own thing altogether, and the wolf-like large upper shoulders with arms that gradually get thinner down to the little claws all looks real cool and wolfy.
    I want to give this mode a 10/10 but the process of transforming those rear legs is not good. If there is a way for that to not be a scary struggle, then 10/10.

IMG_20181218_012713.jpg

Next to Fuuma.
    I like Fuuma's wolf mode, but with the better proportions and wolf legs being more than just the bot limbs, I do like Hydra better.

IMG_20181218_012928.jpg

Little engineering touches like how the flaps in his inner wolf butt cheeks are shaped the same as the black parts on the outside of the butt cheeks to make it look like his wolf legs are really coming from a full robot wolf butt, are just real neat.

IMG_20181218_013154.jpg

So although the delays made the experience of getting this guy fall flat big time for me, finally having him in hand I can say that aside from some transformation issues to do with the amount of force required or needing a tool to get things out (again, typical of Fanstoys), this is an excellent figure and my favorite Sixshot figure ever.
    That will probably change if one of those difficult to move parts breaks though.

Genius engineering and looks awesome in most modes. Aside from the transformation issues, this is a true masterpiece of a figure.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm so has anyone gotten his chest wings to angle up in robot mode like the prototype?

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    How do you mean? Thumbing through the first page and the wings all look the same

7. GRAW

GRAW Fulfill Your Destiny

News Credits:
    Then can tilt up a little bit just not very noticeable, it is rather loose on my copy and won't stays up.

8. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine has shipped from ShowZ!

Last delivery only took 3 days, so hopefully see this by the weekend!

9. razingstorm

razingstorm Well-Known Member

No. Rifles only. The swords came later to accentuate the ninja motif.

10. MegaDarth

MegaDarth Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 9
  11. Extrazero

Extrazero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    F2DA23FF-2F8A-4AE6-84CA-B406496AA78A.jpeg This was the screw I tightened to fix my knees.

• Like Like x 18
  12. alogo

alogo Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Is that diecast on diecast? If so that explains a lot.

13. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He broke it?

14. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So just like XTB's Wildrider on which he also broke a part with translucent plastic.
    Does this evidence that FT has stepped down from being on top of the game, and is now basically tied with XTB for best 3P, and both of them are not putting out truly excellent product right now, or that BSF is a ham-handed reviewer?

Summary of the negatives
    • Breakage risk: Translucent plastic on a part that requires being pushed on by leveraged parts during transformation to gun mode (See around the 31-minute mark in his video)
    • Lack of paint on the white plastic arms, thighs, head
    • Poor ankle articulation
    • Soft ratchets on the knees lack sufficiently deep teeth to hold their bent positions well

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  15. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Be very careful when transforming to gun/submarine mode on the transparent plastic window when plugging the handle on it, it has a chance of cracking the window...

I am actually pretty excited after seing his video review review and transformation to all modes. Also, will be tightening some screws to fix the looseness on the knees as he did. Going to avoid the gun mode (i always do anyways), and i will eventually try the wolf mode afterall after seing his review.

• Like Like x 2
  16. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

I think other then not a good idea to plug into a translucent plastic, their Scoria we have to plug a piece into the nice chrome bit, which also not the best, but...damn that is still one of my favorite toys from FT, just wish the hips would tighten... then it would be my favorite figure of FT for sure.

For FT Hydra, if this is all that is really problematic, then that is a none issue for me, but... i thought i had seen hydra white parts all painted at TFCon. Sculface said the head is not painted, and i forgot about that part, but is the rest of the white kind of pearlesh / painted or not?

17. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Wow, thanks for the write-up. I might do the same order as you for transformation, or maybe the jet mode first actually, cause that is usually my favorite form.

18. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    hahahaha
    strong recommended

19. MINDVVIPE

MINDVVIPE "The powers of darkness..."

Haha you can't give it a strong recommendation after breaking the toy on screen. Bad luck or whatever the issue, it just so clearly shows your shitty credibility. But that isn't anything new to me with BSF reviews.

• Like Like x 2
  20. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What did I say before? Bobby S will break stuff and he'll still say "Strong Recommend".

• Like Like x 3