Fanstoys FT-17 Hoodlum (Masterpiece Hot Rod)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They can now, that thing is 11 years old. Tech has improved a lot since then.

2. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    I finally decided to go in on the replacement hands and they're scheduled to get here on Monday. Thanks to @Tekkaman Blade and a one-step diagram, I'm pretty sure I can get these things popped in with no difficulty.

If it looks as good as I think, I'll post a photo or two. Anything to make MP-09 updated is a welcomed move for me, because I absolutely love this figure despite knowing that it needs some work. Mine had to have the tabs on the shin guards shaved down with sandpaper for an hour just to get them to even come close to tabbing in together.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I could get a good face and hands I probably wouldn't mind this so much, the face bugs me the most though

4. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    My man, just use the "Hot Rod" face... I can't even look at the old man face. My secret sauce is: shoulder up in Rodimus mode, hips shortened in Hot Rod mode and face in Hot Rod mode. I hink that it's a truly good-looking, warrior-inspired Hot Rod leader-class figure.

I've considered doing the hips in the extended way, but I feel like it makes it too lanky, and seeing as how he's the same size as Rodimus Unicronus, I think it works well.

MP-09 Rodimus & DX9 Terror.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got the shoulder upgrade options installed... These are such a great option and so well designed... Especially now that they are made with 3D printed ABS... HIGHLY recommended!

- Gregg 20210629_142832.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    Hoodlum (and pretty much all other versions of Hot Rod) catch a lot of flak, but I really want to stress just how great these figures can look with just a little tinkering.

These photos really capture the figures which I spent the most time modifying and re-working to try to find the perfect decal and accessory appearance for them and while I still think Hoodlum leaves something to be desired, TE-01 and MP-09 are two of my favorite figures, even before the adapters I installed.

Working on toys can suck. But Hoodlum is a prime example of why you should always consider upgrades.
    5700B2D3-4D0B-4A82-AE2A-3017BE068E2A.jpeg 1C07C075-1BEC-4219-AD8A-51E5A96DFD2B.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  7. Goose24

Goose24 Well-Known Member

Is there any noise at all about this getting reissued? I think I prefer it to MP-28 but can get a KO of that for $35 and this is going for $200+. I don’t prefer it that much. Just thought I’d check before I got the other.

8. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Under Maintenance [-0%-]

News Credits:
    Considering the recent reissues so far being somewhat comprised of 86 stuff (Kup, Galvatron, Cyclonus, Springer), I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility. Hoping personally for him and Blurr.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ldl0021

ldl0021 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I definitely need a pair... Do you still have these for sale?

10. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    @pezley Quick question, any chance for an extra run sooner or later of your Hoodlum upgrades? Finally picked this guy up today from Source and i'm just itching to get him in-hand soon and hopefully be able to upgrade him to boot.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Turdlord Prime

Turdlord Prime Active Member

Do you have any links to the 3d files? I can't seem to find them online?

12. Dpuff

Dpuff My turkey tastes better than yours

News Credits:
    Nice. What upgrades are there? Might be interested myself i picked a hoodlum up too. Have mp28 but it just doesnt do it for me. 28 looks more mainline than mp to me. Wanted to get 2 since it was a good price but LiMiTs

13. sodawilly

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought them through ebay directly from @pezley .

They are awesome!

- Gregg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dpuff

News Credits:
  15. sodawilly

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His ebay account is listed under Reproarcade. Be on the look out in case he makes more... they are totally worth it.

- Gregg

• Like Like x 2
  16. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Pretty sure it's just those shoulder joints, along with an unrelated neck joint which you can find on Shapeways.

Ironically enough, I originally was gonna get MP-28 due to really liking how he looked post-upgrades and also cause of his better accessory count compared to Hoodlum, but my copy turned out to be heavily damaged and I got a refund for it. Took that as a sign to get Hoodlum whenever I could, and i'm very glad I waited till now, lowest price I found in some time. Ironically from the one store known for the complete opposite.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RustyScreamer

RustyScreamer Lurkin everyday, rarely postin

Hopefully you get a reply from him. I know he's reputable, but I purchased a set of these and a DX9 Menasor face back in Feb. Never received them and have had 1 response back in March. I'd still love to get the items as they really improve the figures.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

I feel kinda dumb for not picking this guy up when I started to get into FT figures. He was still available for around $200 and Babo in January, I think. I like my Takara figure okay but he stands out because my entire movie shelf (minus Ultra Magnus) is FT. The proportions are very different on Takara and FT figures.

I also missed TFSource although I'm sure their price was obscene.

I'm sure I'll grab him on a reissue with loose elbows and rust or something in 2023 :p 

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Dpuff

News Credits:
    I was pleasantly suprised by the price on hoodlum and I picked up maketoys ironwill for 70 so cant complain about that either. Rest of their prices....well

• Like Like x 2
  20. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Ayy nice, meanwhile i'm still waiting on my PO of Hardhead with BBTS for $90.

And thankfully, after about a week of Hoodlum just not existing, he's arriving today! Legit the tracking didn't update AT ALL, until today. Odd but whatever, haha.

• Like Like x 1