FansToys FT-16 Sovereign (Masterpiece Galvatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by icemanff23, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    I think you're making the case for the people who think this right here. While I'm not one of them, given the finnicky tendencies of the fanbase, it's something I've heard enough to think that at least some people really prefer one to the other, even if the differences are minuscule.

Personally, I like that you can see his arms as the support struts on the FT version, but some people really don't.

2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Well some even say he has a better robot mode so.....

At any rate, my point was not to shit on anyone's preferences, merely to highlight the fact that both altmodes suffer equally.
    But thats to be expected. We are not 'there' yet for a Galvs with a proper altmode.

3. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    I don't know what those people are looking at, but it's appearing to them very differently than it is to me. Tyrant is a good-looking figure, but I think he looks like a solid toy while Sovereign looks like if the character was shrunken down and immobilized.

4. pilot00

o_O 

5. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    You might disagree, but I think his robot mode is an almost perfect representation of the character.

• Like Like x 1
  6. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I look at Sovereign in cannon mode I see nothing but a midtransformed Galvatron doing push-ups, and that is enough not to want to have it, even if I like it better in bot mode.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    Which is exactly how I always picture him during the battle inside Unicron. I think his first transformation when he killed Starscream evokes an image closer to DX9’s alt mode.

8. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reason the thin supports on DX9 make the cannon so much better is because Sovereign has obvious arms holding him up so he only looks half transformed. Tyrant hides the body parts in alt mode so it’s definitely a better cannon (And also more toon accurate).

• Like Like x 4
  9. pilot00

Ι thought you meant it like, he looks like he cant move at all. Hence my reaction. I understand what you mean now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aurance

aurance Well-Known Member

I hope so, I’m holding out for a little better proportioned and sleeker cannon mode from somebody. But I may be in the minority on this preference.

• Like Like x 2
  11. pilot00

You are actually in the majority. Make no mistake about it: His robot mode is as good as it could go (at the time). But the alt mode is....it is what is really....

• Like Like x 2
  12. Doom Slayer

Doom Slayer Well-Known Member

...absurd? :p 

13. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    The funny thing is that I can’t picture how it could be much better, but if the past few years of Masterpiece releases have shown anything, I think it’s that these companies can pull off miracles when they really try to do so.

Even looking at the way that MP-36 goes from robot to gun amazes me. And the Unique Toys movie bots pulling off those seemingly impossible conversions? Even prior to the reveals of Locke and Virtus, I’d have thought that improving on the aesthetics of Koot, Saltus or Apache wasn’t very likely. Locke happened to be cheaply made, but his design in the right hands could’ve been legendary.

Somebody will make a new Galvatron that is perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pilot00

Μore likely a product of its time (not that today it would have been markedly better, and thats my point on Tyrants altmode).

For sure, lets hope we are still around and kicking.

• Like Like x 2
  15. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Locke genuinely is an incredible design. Let down by terrible choices in delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    It's one of the most lifelike figures I've ever seen.

You might say that I was buttering the guy up, but when I emailed Keith, I led with that and then got into the problems. I needed a captive audience to make my point and XTB has probably been inundated with angry mail of late. So, I figured it was the best way to make the case that I'm not perpetually disgruntled with them, but regardless of how remarkable-looking a figure is, you shouldn't sell Transformers which don't transform without breaking.

17. Collector20

Collector20 Well-Known Member

Exactly. If you can’t transform it then what’s the point? You might as well just start collecting statues then.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    Well, I don't ever transform my figures unless they are sold in alt mode, but I definitely get your point: I'm likely in the minority on this. And even if most people don't transform their figures, like they claim, they're still called 'Transformers' and are priced and marketed as if they perform that function.

At the very least, you shouldn't include an instruction manual which shows you how to do something that will result in breaking the figure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pilot00

Τruth be told, there are only a handful of figures that are meant to be transformed regularly in this scale. Official and otherwise. Gone are the days of Mp Magnus (example) or the Datsuns where they were made solid and could go back and forth with the 'within expectations' wear. Now days most of them are over-engineered origami's that are more for display. The only 'recent' releases that I can think on the top of my head are Zetas combiners TE's & MMC's stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Christiano

Christiano Banned

Ebay:
    Just heard a YouTuber make a video about this topic and he came to the same conclusion. According to his info, about 60% of people said that they never transform their figures, but according to my anecdotal ability to apply common sense, at least half of that 60% are lying. There are people who think that just leaving figures in combined mode deteriorates the quality.

Obviously, all products have an expiration date, but I think it's kind of the untold truth about a lot of these recent figures is that if you transform them more than a handful of times, it probably drastically shortens their shelf-life.

• Like Like x 1