FansToys FT-14 Forager (MP Kickback)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dalianjj, Jul 11, 2015.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Nope. They aren't needed. They could have left them off and just had a gap in the disk like BC did. I like their idea; it looks great, but execution gets a D because they are so fragile. I hope they come through with some replacement wing/disk part that is metal or somehow more sturdy.

2. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    Forager is on his way to me as I type this and he'll be my first Fans Toys figure (and only my 2nd TP figure). Sounds like I may need to apply a tad bit of silicone lube to a few areas to hopefully loosen him up a bit. I really want to like Forager, because if I'm happy with him Grenadier and Mercenary are sure to follow.

3. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I don't think it'll hurt to have the ring kept loose, but if you read my earlier comment here, I don't think it's the tightness causing the breaks.

4. Manoftheyear2k

Manoftheyear2k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So out of the 3 bugs, how would u guys rank them in terms of durability? I'm new to FT bugs and about to dig into them all at the same time.

5. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    I just read through the last few pages of this thread. Found your comments to be pretty helpful. With or without lube, I'll take things slow and easy when my new toy arrives.

6. GrimSwipe

GrimSwipe Shock Trooper

Always a safe bet to follow this policy.

7. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bombshell #1

Shrapnel #2 (his forearm transformation is the only part that seems like it needs care)

Kickback #3 (wing and arm transformation need to be taken with care as they require things to be just right in order to move properly)

8. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

I found the tolerances on the ring rotation just fine, it really has to do with how fine that ring is to loop through some of the bug leg armatures and having to fit a tiny hinge/pivot on the spot.

while I do appreciate the design so there isn't a gap (and you know people would have griped about there being a gap) I would have been ok if they used a non-chrome plastic, am I the only one that things chromed plastic generally feels less solid, as chroming means that the actual plastic pieces must be made thinner/more fragile so the chromed surfaces will move correctly. Actually a die cast ring that a chromed wing pins into would be fabulous, I don't need shiny armpits on my insescticons.

9. peckda

peckda Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is amazing how easily and cleanly this part breaks. I'd like to see FT replace it with something more durable. Fortunately for me, the break was clean enough that some glue fixed it right up.

The lesson is not to pull on the shoulders at all.

10. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Made first transformation. Getting those arms out to go into bug mode was tough until I used the bug legs. No problem with the wing clasp but made sure to use extra caution with them. I think now that people are aware of the issue and how to handle it there should be less breakage with the little clasp.

11. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

I would like to thank everyone posting their bad experiences with this product because it steered me clear of similar problems. This guy is like a mini minefield.

12. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Well-Known Member

But a Charlize Theron looking minefield.

13. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Is ... Is that a compliment .. Or ...?

Haha

14. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Got mine and managed to transform him. Turning the wings was a frightening affair, but getting those clasps through really scared me. Think i wont be transforming this guy as often as i thought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had Forager sitting on my shelf untouched for three day's now> I'm getting more and more scared to transform him!! I'll need to set aside some time when I'm uninterrupted and feeling steady hands etc before I even look at this.

In regards to replacement parts, how easy is it to remove and replace these fragile clips? FT are generally amazing about fixing problems, but they can only really provide replacements if the swap is an easy fix. As sson as people have to remove pins or the like, it goes from an easy user fix to a complicated mod. I haven't examined mine cloesly but hoping new parts can be easily installed.
    As far as no word from Dalianjj, it would take time. I assume they have to re-design, prototype, test and sign off on the new parts, then work out where to fit in their production schedule and how to distribute them. There's no good promising a fix if they then realise they can't do it.

16. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

They would have to replace the entire wing piece. It might come off if the lower back was removed with a couple screws.

17. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Nevermind.... The arm snapped like butter... Didnt even put that much pressure on it :mad 

[​IMG]

18. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    with those of you breaking that arm mechanism, what are you using to pull the piece out?

to go to bug mode, I pull the bug legs from his back straight out, mechanism opens.

to go to bot mode, I pull the bot arms straight out from his back, mechanism opens.

are you guys doing it a different way? not that there's a right or wrong way but I'm just relaying what I've used and has worked.

19. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I've decided to never transform this figure before I've even opened it...still no word on whether they are at least working on some kind of fix parts-wise?

20. peckda

peckda Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you use the shoulder / arms to pull out the sliding mechanism, it will snap. It doesn't require any effort at all -- may turn out to be a significant QC issue.