FansToys FT-10 Phoenix (Masterpiece Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cyclonus79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

I had the same with a seller I asked to project themselves froward in time to see if I had any issues.

Its a minefield out there....

• Like Like x 4
  2. Chirulazo

Chirulazo Well-Known Member

Love that pic. I was thinking about making a display with Phoenix, g1 jetfire toy, and the 1/48 Valkyrie. My first transformer was that toy, for Christmas. One of the best gifts ever and I still have it. Since then I have loved the toy design so much I became a huge Robotech fan also. I would love for fantoys to make a kit or any 3rd party do an entire new toy version of jetfire. I would have a very hard time choosing between the 1/48 valk and Phoenix, that’s how good FT did this figure imo.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. stevej

stevej Snowflake

News Credits:
    Wasn't my first Transformer but I did get it for Xmas. First year I think I'd stopped believing in Santa as I remember finding it in the back of my parents wardrobe and I used to sneak in there to take peeks leading up to the big day. Man I was giddy about opening him!

• Like Like x 1
  4. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I own both Phoenix versions; it’s a fantastic representation of Skyfire, but the DX Chogokin is a better, more enjoyable toy. The fact that it also looks like Jetfire is just a bonus.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you go with Bandai DX Chogokin VF-1S 1/48 scale, which shop will you use?

6. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Well-Known Member

Got regular Phoenix a while ago to be the centerpiece of my Autobot display, but... Well... Am I the only one who thinks there is something off about this figure?

I mean, there's nothing not much wrong with him objectively. He's solid and well engineered with a simple transformation, but Phoenix never fits in no matter where I put him. I even got some toyhax labels to liven him up a bit, but... It could be down to his sheer size, or maybe that plain, expressionless face, but Phoenix just doesn't 'work' for some reason.

Anyone else feel this?

7. The Chippy Winger

The Chippy Winger The Struggle is real

Pose him with some bigger ‘bots, he looks glorious to me. 06F62732-C2A8-474E-8C00-EA2B70062F34.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  8. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    I feel that Phoenix has one of the best face sculpts. I prefer to think of him as more powerful and menacing. He’s near combiner size and he owns it. He’s a powerful single bot much like Omega Supreme(also fantastic head sculpt). Maybe it’s how you’re positioning him with your collection. He’s strong and powerful he should own your display. B89285F8-CF84-4209-8124-592EA29AA720.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have him. I like him well enough but I don’t like his head/face and his body proportions feel ... blocky. IMO the face/head is not cartoon or accurate to the lineart and I prefer the proportions of Siege Jetfire. If someone upsized Siege Jetfire, cleaned off some of that unnecessary detailing and gave it better ankles I’d probably flip Phoenix. Until then he’s a placeholder in my collection.

10. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You definitely can't go wrong with either:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  11. barok

barok Well-Known Member

No idea, u got any recommendations?

12. barok

barok Well-Known Member

I AM JELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But is that the 1/48 scale coz i thought it would be close to a foot tall. If that is in fact the 1/48 Chogokin DX then FT Phoenix is beginning to look better again in my eyes.
    EDIT: Just googled Phoenix size, about 14 inch so I guess THIS IS the Bandai DX Chogokin Valkyrie. Damn he looks small compare to Phoenix.

So shogun, do you wanna sell either one?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Prowl83

Prowl83 Well-Known Member

I do wish we could get a nice Valkyrie that scales closer to the height of Phoenix. It would be a thing of beauty all decked out with the armor and tastpacks.

14. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Are your figures more like the toon aesthetic the MP line is headed in? Is so he should match no matter what you do.

If however you have a lot of figures who look more like the previous style, even the non '+' versions of MP, then he will look different. FT are all in on toon accuracy now, so it's less greebles, more flat surfaces. That will look different next to MP10, not so much next to MP44. Honestly, if you can live with the scale issues it creates, Seige will match better with that previous style than FT does IMO

15. Balzari

Balzari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had the same feeling which I couldn't quite put my finger on
    Apart from a few minor nitpicks I believe he's pretty spot on re toon accuracy
    I think my problem stems from his size, not that he is too big but that his size negatively affects the new toon aesthetic of having large areas of plane plastic, it feels like due to his size I need some detail to fill in the gaps.
    However the blandness works well on smaller figures

16. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I would go Pheonix X because it is all painted. If VF1S is all painted, then that would take precedence for me, as I prefer jetfire. Painted is better cause then it won’t yellow with time.

17. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah... I had the X version and it just wasn't right. So I moved him on. The hero proportions and limited articulation weren't for me. The alt mode, size and paint of the X version were outstanding though.

18. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    I just bought a used FT-10 Phoenix and while I enjoyed the figure, I find the feet a little troublesome. It tends to lean forward and only stop because the front ankle skirt would rest on the die-cast feet. Is there no way for it to stand more securely?

19. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

20. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb TFW2005 Supporter

Phoenix is by far probably my favorite 3rd party fig. I think his size is perfect in line with his representation in the cartoon. He even makes fun of his size in a episode, but like others have said it really depends on the pose you put him in and what characters you stand him with. I like the face sculpt considering he was pretty stoic in the cartoon as well.

To me the Siege warts, space wrinkles, size, and pin head derpfire face of the siege Jetfire is what makes that figure not a good stand in at all. I give props to Has for actually making a correct character model. I picked him up on sale for $50 and is in my oldest's Xmas pile. Once he opens it up and a couple days pass. I'll have to do a full side by side comparison.