FansToys FT-10 Phoenix (Masterpiece Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cyclonus79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. h1gg1n5

h1gg1n5 Well-Known Member

I used the Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red and it matched pretty good. Also had to use a Matt finish as well to match the rest of the figure.

Minor/Repaint: - FansToys FT-10 Phoenix -dark red calf repaint

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. f0cus

f0cus You can call me Sir

Plus looks like ShowZ still has some FT10X... and he's on sale!

• Like Like x 1
  3. f0cus

BTW the shelves on the right seem to be leaning to the right... you could try screwing all the units together so that they become 1 solid unit. Also: fix them to the wall if you haven't already! Silly mistakes can happen and you don't want your entire collection taking a dive onto the floor! (If they're all connected you will only need 2 fixing points)

• Like Like x 2
  4. f0cus

@h1gg1n5 did you remove the existing finish first as @Arycon did? Is this the best way to get the finish? I'm considering doing this myself and am intrigued...

What is Purple Power? I'll get the internet out and search it in a bit...

Would white spirit remove the stock paint finish?

5. Ichibaru

Ichibaru Supreme Commander of Pork

FT-10 is sold out unfortunately, but yeah, FT-10X is available for $308USD... not great but still better than most prices on the secondary market.
    FansToys FT-10 Phoenix Jetfire (Skyfire)

Took a chance and picked up one from them... will decide what to do once I get the Siege Jetfire in hand I suppose.

6. Arycon

Arycon Well-Known Member

Purple power is a brand name for a degreaser that is available in popular US auto parts stores. I use it for cleaning tough dirt or oil stains. Good for cleaning car engines and such.

Anyhoo, I just put it in a small plastic tub out of reach of pets/kids, and place the parts in it. Takes a few days, but breaks up the paint. This works for stripping chrome off of plastic, too. Be careful, though. It can weaken some plastics and it has strong fumes. After the paint gets loose, I used a metal toothbrush and some lacquer thinner and went to town on the nooks and crannies. I dont know what white spirits is, but I'm guessing it's the equivalent of Mineral Spirits. That will work, but take more effort. Use lacquer thinner if you can. Works better, but will destroy or weaken plastic (why I use Purple Power for transformers), but you can get away with it since the shin vents are metal.

I used Mr. Surfacer 1500 (love this stuff for priming and smoothing surfaces) and hit em with Model Master Enamel Florescent Red. I still need to wet sand them for any imperfections or bumps and shoot em red once more. Then either a satin or flat clear coat for protection.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I used it for stripping the chrome off of Generations Jetfire. Unfortunately, I got a few drops on my hardwood floor and now it's permanently stained.

8. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

I've ordered the normal version.
    This is a very good price for the X version.

9. h1gg1n5

h1gg1n5 Well-Known Member

I did soak mine in Acetone to remove the original paint. Worked very well and if you paint it too heavy and it drips then back in the acetone it goes. It's nice working with metal as you get as many tries as it takes to get a end result your happy with.

I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to change that dark red color.

Full DIY write up with pics in the link. I tried to make it easy as possible for people.

Minor/Repaint: - FansToys FT-10 Phoenix -dark red calf repaint

^^^^ LINK

• Like Like x 2
  10. ComputronX

ComputronX Till all are MP

Ebay:
    ....aaaand bought the last x-version from showZ :D 

• Like Like x 3
  11. Arycon

Arycon Well-Known Member

Nice guide, dude. Great work. It really does make a world of difference. I think I'm going go with a satin clear cote. Most of the bots have a subtle sheen to them. I just hope I have a satin that fits. I'm fairly sure I do. I bought like 3 of them from the Alclad brand. I just wet sanded the vents, so they'll need a touch up coat of red.

Now I just need to get to work weathering the booster nozzles.

12. Hawkwave

Hawkwave Well-Known Member

Just shipped mine off from China. Paid $222 for him. I had this sinking feeling that if I didn't get him now I was going to really regret it. I think I'll sacrifice a siege figure to primus to ensure the shipping goes smoothly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Arycon

Arycon Well-Known Member

Painting is going well/not well. I painted the calf vents and right as I'm spraying clear kote, a piece of fuzz passes my airbrush stream and got stuck. :banghead:  So 1 vent came out great, but I have to completely strip the other one and start from the beginning.

As for the nozzles, that (thankfully) went without a hitch. I painted both booster pack nozzles and decided to do the boot nozzles, too. I really like how they came out. Alclad II metallic paints really make the boosters look like they are old and worn in. I'm debating doing something similar with his gun, but darker.

20190630_133047.jpg 20190630_133051.jpg 20190630_133057.jpg 20190630_133111.jpg 20190630_133133.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  14. DanielTorres99

DanielTorres99 Well-Known Member

Where did you get him from mate?

15. Hawkwave

现货包邮 变形金刚 FANSTOYS FT10 FT-10 天火 再版 全新-淘宝网

I use superbuy to buy through taobao. It was $185 before shipping.

I generally don't like to buy figures this size/cost through taobao. The amount of money makes me nervous. But I wasn't paying $260 for one. He may end up being cheaper depending on my shipping cost rebate. (shipping costs are over estimated on superbuy and when the get the final weight they refund you the difference.)

16. DanielTorres99

DanielTorres99 Well-Known Member

Ooo I have used superbuy before so I might actually try getting him. Where are you getting him shipped to? US i preassume

17. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Did you buy it at 1260 yuan? He lists it at 1160 yuan (US$169) now.

18. Hawkwave

Sorry was looking at the paypal transaction which had other things in it. It was $177, $214 after shipping. There is a fee using superbuy. Superbuy is not as cheap as buying through taobao directly. Though this might be one of the few times where the shipping price may make up for that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  19. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I think it’s really great paint work, very minimalist.
    When I put in my realist hat, I ask why his thrusters are the only part of him that shows any wear.
    I’m guessing it has something to do with them doubling as heels getting dusty with silver space dirt.

20. Arycon

Arycon Well-Known Member

I hear you.

This sort of thing is a trade off. Custom paint jobs come with risk, and without certain types of paint and extra special care, tight tolerances cause a nightmare for collectors that like to transform their bots. Static collectibles are one thing. Just look at Hoodlum, for example. Friction causes wear, and it isnt realistic to tear down a bot far enough to sand them sufficiently to account for additional paint layers. For example, it isnt possible to remove Phoenix's thrusters without the risk of breakage. They are held in by a pin which is only visible on one side. The other is covered by a wall of plastic. Couldnt tell till I took him apart.

Could I do more? Sure, but I'm not stripping him down enough to do it when chances are high he will break in the process. So, I get a shiny white and red Phoenix with minimalist thruster nozzles.

These are the Constructor thigh pieces I painted, using a multi-layered chipping technique to emulate TW-C07F's weathered look. It took a week to complete four thigh panels, and there were only a few screws (no pins) and no transforming pieces. Now imagine a similar process on an entire transformer. I'm not doing that lol.

20190316_212034.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 3