FansToys FT-10 Phoenix (Masterpiece Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cyclonus79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Love it here, love it there, love it everywhere.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 5
  2. Shunwei

Shunwei Well-Known Member

Not sure why people are having so much trouble with the tabs. Yes, it is tight, but you need tight as the backpack is big and heavy. All you have to do is unravel the cockpit, lean the head back to about 30-45 degrees while at the same time holding and gently pulling the backpack in unison, and the tab will just pop out. You can also gently love the backpack a bit to help and although it does go much vertically it seems to help a bit as well. Look at the tab and think about its path of draw and insertion. If it needs to come out it needs to have an angle where it can slide out. Last night I tested the tab 10 times and had no problems. Examined my tab and found no stress marks either.

The design could have been better using wall tabs but when done carefully the current tab works well too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

Just got this a few days ago. Holy Grail from my childhood is now finally mine. Absolutely one of my favorite figures. Perfect in bot and jet mode, and the scale is amazing. 100/10, would recommend.

• Like Like x 1
  4. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can you just imagine the roasting Xtransbots would be taking right now if they released a figure with the same breaking tab issue. Not trying to start trouble on here, it just seems like a huge double standard to me.

• Like Like x 4
  5. barok

barok Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist it anymore. Caved in. This will be her fathers day gift to me using my own card :( 

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I really don't see what the trouble is . It seems more like some people just don't understand the engineering part of the figure . Which is fine , but don't complain when said figure breaks cause you can't figure out how to transform it " properly ".

7. El Duque

News Credits:
    I've transformed mine a couple of times and it hasn't broken, but I know that several others on here have reported transforming using the prescribed method and it still broke. I believe @Mykltron is among them. There's not much to understand really, they should have just engineered it differently to avoid the issue all together.

• Like Like x 2
  8. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

MEH, it's only one or two people who are struggling with it and making it seem like it's a much bigger issue than it actually is. And, really, XTB, they make dog shit quality products and deserve every lambasting they get.

• Like Like x 3
  9. El Duque

News Credits:
    I'm speaking of my own personal experiences here, and not trying to discredit those who have encountered problems with Xtrans/KFC figures, but I've owned virtually every MP scale figure they've done and have practically no issues. My Ditka is even rocking his stock knees and poses just fine. Just seems like FT somehow gets a bit of free pass and they've had quite a few QC issues of their own. Anyway, as previously stated I'm not trying to start a company vs company wars here, I love them both really. My Phoenix hasn't broken and I'm very pleased with him, just wish there wasn't the shadow of a potential breakage looming over his future transformations.

• Like Like x 4
  10. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

It's a little different when one company has a long history of numerous issues with pretty much every figure and the other has a great history of quality with a few issues here and there.

But both companies have their strengths and weaknesses, some more than others. FansToys will never live down the FansToys squeak :p  (they will if they consistently do better though).

This next part isn't directed at you El Duque, just a related thought...

What I don't understand is why people get all fanboy over any one company. Just enjoy the products... Why get so invested in a specific company that you take it personally when people vocalize criticisms about them?

And being vocal about issues a company constantly has is a good thing, it will hopefully push them to do better, improve their products and their reputation... But it's going to take some consistency with improvements over several releases for people to see it's not a fluke and that the company is actually fixing their issues.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Whilst I agree with your sentiment FT aren't spotless. Kickback, Bombshell, Hound, Slag, Swoop and Perceptor (off the top of my head) have all had pretty major issues but ppl tend to accept it. The truth is nothing is perfect but as long as we can get these things fixed/sorted then that's the bottom line. Doesn't matter who makes it.

With this guy are ppl angling the tab in as they push the backpack up? First time I did it was scary but it seemed to work.

• Like Like x 3
  12. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not, I certainly don't give them a free pass. Look, if I came in here and saw 30 people or so complaining about the said issue then it would be reasonable to assume that this was a common issue. But if I come in here and, literally, see two people, Dbarricade and Milktron or whatever his name is complaining, then I can come to one of two conclusions, one, they either had duds, or, two, that it's what we call a PICNIC in computing; problem in chair, not in computer. And frankly when I look at the design, I think it's something which looks like it's more likely to break if you're pulling the backpack, more than anything which is wrong frankly.

There is no disputing it could have been designed better, or they could have made it clearer in the instructions to use the very good technique I mentioned earlier which was perfectly illustrated by Kei78, but it's nowhere near the sizable issue that the very tiny minority are making it out to be. And a bit of what homegirl, OstOgBajer, said as well. ;) 

• Like Like x 4
  13. El Duque

News Credits:
    No offense taken, and I agree. You probably didn't see my most recent post, I think we were probably typing our responses at the same time. I've had extremely good experiences with my Xtrans/KFC products, but I've also had great experiences with my FT figures. I'm not loyal to any one company, whoever makes the best representation of the character is who goes into my collection. Sometimes it's Has/Tak, sometimes it FT, sometimes is Xtrans/KFC, hell sometimes it's a KO!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Highlander77

Highlander77 Active Member

I think the trick is that you have to hold on to both his head AND the top of the backpack, and apply pressure to both parts equally as you move the whole assembly back. Trying to move either piece individually is going to put pressure directly on that tab. You have to grab the head with one hand, the top of the backpack with the other, and tilt them both back together.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Mine is due to be delivered tomorrow. I got to review Peaugh's specimen a couple months back and then returned it...so I am tremendously excited to have him back in the house :) 

The customs violation could almost be worth it this time.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 2
  16. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

And if there is an issue, Fans Toys will resolve it if one gets in touch with them. I broke my tab, which sucks, but I should be receiving a fix for that very soon and I can not wait to get back to being able to fully enjoy this magnificent figure.

I think on the matter of letting some things slide with Fans Toys vs. nailing XTB/KFC to the proverbial wall for issues, it's much like what Bobby Skullface said in his recent Omega Wars discussion video: reputations are easy to gain and hard to shake - both for good and bad. Fans Toys has an excellent reputation for solidly built figures and great customer service in the event something does go wrong, while XTB/KFC has a reputation for figures that look incredible but going from point A to point B is an unpleasant experience in places, such as the Andras mold's feet. They do seem to be working to improve, but that reputation still looms over them like Phoenix looms over most any other MP figure out there so far.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wheeljoker

Wheeljoker Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree 100 percent

18. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Or do what @malware5 has suggested repeatedly and swears by, which is to swing the cockpit/chest assembly out and up and let that move the parts in the ways they need to for the tab to come out safely.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Mykltron

Mykltron Well-Known Member

Looks like someone doesn't understand the 'out of ten' rating system :-D

20. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Tell that to the people that say 110%...

• Like Like x 2