FansToys FT-10 Phoenix (Masterpiece Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cyclonus79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. engrpedro

engrpedro Well-Known Member

Someone requested this earlier

IMG_9328.JPG IMG_9333.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  2. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    Cool and the gang.

IMG_2594.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  3. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I still find it surprising that Kronos had anything to do with the design of Phoenix- But admittedly I have not handled Kronos so I'll defer to your educated guess based upon your experience with the Kronos figure. Meant no offense- the claim simply seemed unlikely when I read it.

4. Optimus Prime15

Optimus Prime15 Well-Known Member

I did the stand swap and made sure the screw was tight as can be and it holds Phoenix perfectly. He's been on it most of the day!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jcru

jcru Well-Known Member

It was Mechaform Sky Guardian and Daca Kronos back several years ago. We had never had a real Skyfire figure, so some of us enthusiasts were all over this. I went out and bought 5 of the Kronos (it was a different time, and a different financial situation). I ended up giving two of them away. And having two of them customized.

Well, they were $150 at some places, $160 at others. The guy who produced them did do some contract work designing stuff for FT. At first FT happily admitted it. When the product arrived and had massive QC issues, because they guy did the project alone, from a different country (here in the US) had contracted the factory out after just visiting it once in China, and sent them the Cad images... FT quickly denied ever knowing the guy. Whatever. The product was a bit of an embarrassment. People felt cheated. Even if it was flawlessly executed, there would have been a few issues, just based on the design. But it was much worse than that. The factory made wholesale changes on their own that weren't approved by the guy. They used a hard brittle plastic that was like the kind PVC piping is made out of, to save money. Pieces and tolerances were off. Some pieces were never approved by the designer. And it looked like the factory workers threw them together with such distain, unlike any 3rd party toy in recent memory.

All I am saying is, Kronos and Sky Guardian had very distinct, and different, transformations and designs. Clearly, FT used the Kronos design as the launch pad to move forward, they just improved nearly everything that went wrong with Kronos, from the plastic, to the design flaws, to the factory work, etc. As you would expect the leading 3rd party producer to do. They have their crap together. They are organized. This is not a bad thing.

The other option would have been to completely redesign the figure from the ground up, which Hasbro/Takara might eventually do one day. But for now, this is wonderful. It transforms, without QC issues into both modes, and it took what was available and made it 100x better, which is what these companies specialize in. It wasn't meant as a criticism.

6. dalianjj

dalianjj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, good story, but not true at all. we have nothing to do with kronos. it is fine if you think ft10 have similar transformation to kronos, but I don't think so.

• Like Like x 6
  7. TransFan84

TransFan84 I'm here. Peanut butter. Tighty whiteys. Fork.

I almost bought Kronos. Glad I saved my money and bought Phoenix instead. He's outstanding! Thanks, dalianjj and Fanstoys!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Righ7 turn

Righ7 turn Seeker

Kronos was introduced Sept. 27, 2013 (First post on that thread) while Phoenix was first revealed as a silhouette on the Scoria thread on Nov. 17, 2013. Only a three week gap. I highly doubt Phoenix borrowed anything from the other 2.

Anyone looking for an alternative stand might find this interesting.
    Fans Toys Soar Banking Adapter

Especially since they have a specific stand for Detolfs.
    YetiStand Detolf Mount

9. jcru

jcru Well-Known Member

Oh, please, dalianjj. So dishonest.

You know what the worst part of that "story" was? For those who remember, and there are plenty who do.

You never actually denied the rumors that the Daca guy was affiliated with you until AFTER the final product was shipped. Then it was full on, like you are doing right now.

I am not affiliated with Kronos or Daca, and I'm the idiot that bought 5 of them. Fine. And I think that FT is a wonderful company. But this figure is 80% ripped off of the other guy, and again, that is fine. Let's just call a spade a spade and let it have it's day. You guys built a wonderful project, and the other guy is permanently exiled from transformer history forever. Now cue all of your cheerleaders...

10. jcru

jcru Well-Known Member

It's certainly not ripped off of Mechafacture, and I can't say I blame you for that

11. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I hate to burst your bubble, but I remember that whole incident quite well and what you are saying doesn't jive with my experience whatsoever. FTs was never said to have been affiliated with Daca at that time, before or after Kronos came out. Furthermore, it was well established that FTs was doing their own Skyfire figure well before Kronos came out. That led to back and forth between FTs and Daca...again, well before Kronos was released. At the time of Kronos' release there wasn't a single person on these boards who could have reasonably believed there was an affiliation between FTs and Daca...there was waaaay too much bad blood, competing figures, and dueling comments and fan bases.

Whatever rumor you remember was probably just that...a rumor. There are a lot of them on the internet. Call me a cheerleader if you like, but it strikes me as entirely inappropriate to call someone a liar based on some rumor that you heard years ago that you can't substantiate. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

• Like Like x 4
  12. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Dunno why, but it makes me incredibly happy that he can do this!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  13. jcru

jcru Well-Known Member

The rumor was right in the thread

AND it was the major reason so many preordered, and were duped. By a completely unknown company.

And, since you want to continue this, I thought I would also mention...

WHY after 4 years, was this project kept completely in the dark. No prototype, no nothing. Not until a few video reviews come out... and then it's like "hey, that's familiar! Hey, I've seen that before!"

4 Years... and the final product is taking the other guy's work and refining it.

I am going to buy this product, because I am a Skyfire nut, and you can't stop me. But I do look forward to someday Hasbro/Takara possibly making a completely NEW design, like they did with MP-36

14. jcru

jcru Well-Known Member

Oh, and you're all cheerleaders. Honestly, you can still buy the guy's stuff without completely fawning over him on a daily basis and telling him how great he is. He's a nice guy and all, but there is definitely a history between these two figures, and it's not necessary to pig pile on the other guy all of the time, especially if you are going to take from him in the end.

15. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

I just remember Daca saying that 3ps overcharge and he gave us a reasonable price on Kronos. Back in the day (4yrs ago??) TFC devastator parts were $99 a piece and thankfully the prices on combiner limbs have stayed the same. If Zeta Toys can offer at $60, I call a little BS on 3Ps, but at the same time I realize the profits go towards future projects and they need to make a living too. Maybe a happy medium would be like $85. But anyways...I am rambling.

16. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Picked up Skyfire...cough...Phoenix today and it's nice. Almost a perfect Skyfire for me. What's the see through blue piece in the plastic bag for?

17. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Clear eyes for possible light piping effect.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Don't Whine, Design!

Damn... peek in to see some cool Phoenix pics, end up walking into a thread page full of bickering like wtf? C'mon now folks... =/
    Anyways, with figures like Phoenix and Terminus/Omega becoming realities now, I think a lot of us are going to need a company to start OS KO'ing Detolfs soon... Lol.
    20170527_190432.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  19. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    The fact that FT had a silhouette with their dibots tells me they've had it in their plans for a bit. How long? Not exactly sure, but the timeframe would tell me that FT didn't just up and decide to do Phoenix just because Daca was doing Kronos. However, what you're saying here contradicts everything in how I remember it going down in that 547 page thread. I don't know if I want to spend the time digging through all the bickering to recall everything. Plus, there were a lot of deleted posts too so that won't help. In the end, it's probably not worth the effort. There are quite a few members on here (whether they still post on a frequent basis or not) that have insider knowledge of the guy and what he did. It in part, does explain why he's no longer posting here, but I won't get into that here since it's not relevant to the thread. A lot of the stuff you posted about the factory was what he told us if I remember correctly. Since we have no other word to go on, we can either choose to believe him, or not. Based upon what I've come to know, I'm more hesitant on believing him 100%. Besides, it doesn't even make sense to me for a factory to receive an order for production and then arbitrarily change things without input from the person who placed the order. If that kind of thing were to happen, how come we don't hear anything like that happening with other companies, 3P or not? We all believed him because we wanted to believe in the project he was undertaking. When I look back on it, I can't help but to ask, "how do we know he wasn't just full of shit?"

As far as the transformation sequence being similar, I have an idea of why that is as it relates to another controversial figure that the guy is related to, but I don't think this thread is an appropriate place to discuss that. Either way, we have the not-Skyfire that we've all been waiting for. And that, I think, is all that needs to be said. If you want to inquire about the stuff I'm not mentioning here, you can pm me :)  But otherwise, it's all in the past, and I believe we should all move on from that tiresome drama.

20. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

Is this double sacrilege, a transformer doing the live long and prosper and the Star Wars signature below. ;) .

• Like Like x 2