FansToys FT-10 Phoenix (Masterpiece Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cyclonus79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd rather pay more and receive something with nice solid construction, than pay less and get a floppy POS. The happy feeling of getting something for cheap soon fades when you discover the QC sucks.

2. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

Totally nailed it. Generally you get what you pay for and I'm ok paying good money for a good product.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Floppy POS, is kinda how I felt after getting Scoria. Granted Soar and Sever were vast improvements, FT for the price is far from perfect on many of their releases.

4. mrprime222000

mrprime222000 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on Scoria

5. smkspy

He's a good looking figure no doubt, but weak hips is just something I can't give a pass to, not when I'm paying nearly $200 for a figure.

6. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

That's cool, because you'd be getting half the figure vs a FT one... And first doesn't mean it's best. Just means other companies can have a laugh look at it and say, OK, let's not do that shit, that's just...no.

Anyway, I kid because of how you said it, if Kronos is your thing, so be it, it's your collection.

7. mrprime222000

Ah. I understand. Loose hips aren't cool at all. One I've messed with was tight.

8. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

FT came out (a long time ago) and said they would try to keep the price of their Skyrire under $200.

I hope they can do it, but FT will have a tough time making their Skyfire look better than Kronos in bot mode. Good luck to them. It will truly be awesome if they can.

9. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Retired MP Collector

Lake Titicaca- enjoying the MP retired life
    I remember a while back dalianjj stating the delay for Skyfire was partly due to making the transformation scheme non-partsforming. Also, if I'm remembering this correctly, I believe he said Skyfire would be 13.5".

10. smkspy

The complaints are that he is too accurate to the cartoon model, which isn't that great of a thing as you've said. Artists have presented far better looking versions of G1 Ironhide that remain true to character and still capture the essence of that cartoon model.

Masterpieces were previously the combination of the very best aspects of a character represented in all G1 media and with Ironhide they threw all that out the window.

It great for all the slavish Sunbow fans, but for anyone else, it's a step down in quality and design.

Personally, I don't want to see that either with FT'S Skyfire. A healthy combination of the toy and Sunbow model serves a function and appeals to a larger consumer base.

11. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to say I think Ironhide was a special case, and what they did with him was good. Ironhide's G1 toy was horrendous. What is there to take that would look good on an MP? Actually, they did take some things from IH's G1 toy. The creepy face homage and some of the weapons seem to be toy inspired.

The big problem with trying to blend Jetfire and Skyfire together is that their respective mediums were so different. Skyfire is a humanoid looking robot and Jetfire is an (obvious looking) piloted mech. The other G1 character toon models mostly resemble their G1 toys, but Skyfire doesn't.

But we shall see :) 

12. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You Scoria haters can crap on FansToys all you want, but consider this:

After Scoria's failings became evident, FansToys released parts to tighten up the shoulder issue, and generally "kept on keeping on", upping their game for subsequent releases. About the only thing people can complain about FansToys - in terms of QC, at least - are occasional fragile parts, which isn't an issue if you are treating these like high end collectibles, and not "toys".

Daca's response? After months and months of telling us how Kronos was going to be the greatest thing to happen to Transformers since an old Diaclone semi was re-purposed into Optimus Prime?

He told everyone to f-off and quit.

13. smkspy

Forgot about the face thing, it's a weird thing to pay homage to, but they pulled from comic artists like Don Fig's G1 depiction of Iron hide. Look at his source book entry, it hits all the cartoon points yet retains an aesthetic that is a bit more detailed.

Though I'll point to generations voyager Jetfire as a good exampl of mixing the toy and cartoon version. FT may be a little too focused on trying not to make him parts form, when in this characters case, having a bit of partsforming kinda helps the figure.

And I give credit to fantsoys for fixing some of the issues with scoria and soar. Yet they still released forager, I think with a blatantly weak part that they had to have known would be an issue. And fix the scoria hip problem, they release a 3.0 version for $150. Yeah, thanks, to fix the hips I got to upgrade a figure I just bought last year.

14. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

I feel like over the years we've gotten a combination toy several times. Just once I want a completely cartoon skyfire. I felt the same about ironhide so I'm happy with mine.

15. DinobotSludge

DinobotSludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally I think your all nuts. The level of the plastic quality may have been model plane/truck quality, but otherwise it was a great figure. An given I used to make TONS of models I can say that the time I owned the figure I loved it an regret having sold it to this day! I would rebuy the figure happily if I ever had the chance!!!
    I was excited for the Fans toys one up untill recently as the Fans Toys designs have strayed too far from toon accuracy for my taste with more over detailing that I do not like anymore.

16. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    LOL reminds me exactly like another designer who used to post here up until recently, also. ;) 

17. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    Im a huge fan of both the veritech fighter and cartoon and comic Skyfire. However,

Fuck That

18. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    G1 toon Skyfire has to be the dumbest looking bot ever. Just a terrible mass of ill proportioned white. Even if Daca did make it well the character looks like shit. Better take some toy elements.

19. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy Well-Known Member

:thumb 

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the joy of cheap price is forgotten."

20. mrprime222000

I actually really like how MP Ironhide looks. I still think Fanstoys Scoria is awesome. I personally hope they don't put too many toy nods. Call me a "G Whiner" but If I'm paying as much as a Fanstoys figure costs for an MP Skyfire, he better look like Skyfire. (I think he will because Fanstoys has yet to let me down there) Even if that means making him "a terrible mass of ill proportioned white.' ;)