FansToys FT-10 Phoenix (Masterpiece Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cyclonus79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FT uses tons of toy-inspired detailing\coloring and a healthy dose of made up detailing as well, especially in the Dibots. They're far from bland and deviate quite a lot from the Sunbow toon.

Obviously they're going to follow the toon silhouette for Skyfire, but I've no doubt FT will have a fair amount of added detailing. Likely not as far as to recolor parts to homage the toy, but certainly some form of panel lining\details. He most likely won't be a 'big slab of white' as bcm77 puts it. I know Kronos gets a lot of flak (I don't own him because I chose to wait on FT), but one thing he does quite well is tasteful, albeit made up, panel detailing.

2. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Face sculpt > landing gear.

I think it's quite likely this will be be a better figure than Kronos...buuuut FT has come up short on head/face sculpts a time or two or three. And for that reason I have avoided unloading Kronos despite his current ridiculous after market prices that will soon go poof. I'm expecting this to be a buy for me, but if it falls short of expectations, I'm happy enough sticking with what I got.

3. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:

No no no. Kronos IS the definition of white slab of shat. I don't even see how people think he makes a good "statue."

The face sucks. He looks like a huge marshmallow (he would have benefited from some VERY LIGHT black/light grey panel lining) and of course, landing gear.

Oh yeah. Didn't his backpack (lol) have paint-bleed and everything else?

Dear Darwin that thing was a monstrous mess.

4. mrprime222000

mrprime222000 Well-Known Member

Ok, it's a crack pot that won't happen, but why not both? We know the first one Fanstoys is gonna do is Skyfire (cartoon look). But what if they also did a toy one? Like a proper MP Jetfire? I'd only want the Skyfire, but I'd get both anyway because Fanstoys. Then everybody wins. Lets all campaign for that.

5. Honesty

News Credits:
    Proper MP is toon.

Skyfires (Jetfire) toy wasn't even proper in itself. Since it was just a redeco of a macross toy.

If people want Macross toys, there is a lot to choose from.

6. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I love how you say that like it's a fact. Every single MP has a mix of toon and toy influences. We're 12 years into the MP line, and it astounds me that there are still people that don't get that. Wanting it to be a certain way, and emphatically declaring it over and over doesn't actually make it true.

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I dunno. A "proper" Jetfire would be the same as getting a 1/48 Yamato VF-1S Valkyrie with red Super parts. Asking FT to make one is practically just asking them to do a Macross Valkyrie repaint.

8. Honesty

News Credits:
    Sorry. Didn't think I had to clarify.

Okay then. Mostly toon, little bit o' toy.

Also read below:

Agreed.

9. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

That's true when the G1 toy is a trainwreck, a la Ironhide. But otherwise, not so much. Lest you forget, the toon was a mess of simplified bland blocky shapes. Very very few are "mostly toon"... thank goodness.

10. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

But sky fire never had a toy. There is no toy to draw accuracy from.

Jetfire has no official link to the cartoons. Besides being a white plane with red highlights there is nothing connecting them besides people wanting them connected.

11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I dunno...he looks more accurate to Skyfire to me than, say, MP-27 looks to Ironhide. I think it looks the part as well as any of the legit MP players in bot mode...more accurate than most of BadCube's offerings. Though, admittedly, alt mode doesn't totally nail it...it's MUCH closer to hitting the mark than our beloved MP-10's wonky ass alt mode. And the 'sucky' face comes closer to the subject material than most of FT's heads. I have high hopes for FT's...but like I said, if it doesn't meet those hopes, I won't feel obligated to drop the $200+ it's going to cost. If FT's hits on all accounts, then sure, Kronos can go down as the lol-fest everyone (that doesn't have it) makes it out to be. True, it's nowhere near the prize of all 3rd Party it was getting pumped up as prior to release, but it's far from the shit-show people make it out to be as a counter-result of that hype. It's a good looking figure with a crappy transformation. If it had better QC, it would fit right in with your average BadCube release.

12. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Out here making whatever whenever

Do or did you own a Kronos, or ever handle one in person? I picked one up recently and it's a very good toon Skyfire toy as far as I can tell, and holds up just fine next to all my other TF toys.

13. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
  14. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't the FT silhouette show a Skyfire like homage? I wouldn't rule out a couple of nods to the toy (maybe a toy accurate head, done in the typical clumsy way that FT does accessories :p ) but it's clearly going to be toon more than toy.

One thing I like about the Sunbow cartoon is they took what were piloted mechs and made them personable, giving them humanoid like faces and proportions. They have a lot of charm in that respect. Many of the original TF toys have ugly/creepy faces.

15. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure how eager any 3P would be making a redeco'd a VF-1S super Valkyrie from scratch. It's something that a 3P that makes Macross inspired toys could do much easier. Is there even a 3P market for Valkyries? Bandai and Arcadia have been killing it for a while with regards to higher end, highly engineered transforming jet bots so I really have no idea.

in any case I can't see any toy maker doing more than making some passing nods at the Jetfire toy. the toon vs. toy bot and alt modes had such different profiles and looks that it is, in my eyes, pretty tough for a couple of accessories that would change the toy from a decent representation of one to another.

16. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

Just retool and improve Hasbro JetFire leader class and I am happy. Wonderful design but bad implementation.

17. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    So aren't we supposed to a prototype soon?

18. murphytronus

murphytronus Im not Shardimus

Next week at Tfcon

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I've had one since release and he's made for a fine stand-in! Definitely a piece i try to handle as little as possible, though. He can be a bit fragile [mine hasnt broken yet! knock on wood]. But he looks nice on the shelf with the other MPs!

Certainly looking forward to FT's version. No doubt theres'll be nice and good lookin' and solid!

20. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

I will be there, with a camera :D .