FansToys FT-07 Stomp (Masterpiece Sludge)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dalianjj, May 4, 2015.

1. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

Wasn’t the original msrp like 189?

Someone might make a toon stomp. But I love the toy g1 Dinobots it’s so much I really value the influence in the Dino bots in my Mp collection. that’s going to be a tough swap out to sell me

• Like Like x 1
  2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Yeah, somewhere around there. Originally I was only going to get Grimlock (G2), because $200 was high at the time, even for FT. But then Cesium was only $130 or something. But I dragged my feet and suddenly Stomp was $500. Similar thing happened to me with the original MP seekers where I just slept on Thundercracker.

3. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Stomp is now $189 at ShowZ. I know you like buying from US etailers but ShowZ is legit.

• Like Like x 3
  4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    ShowZ is where I ordered from. I've mostly ordered legends from them up to now.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  5. franpincho

Nice!

*sometimes I don’t read previous pages*

6. jtwong27

jtwong27 Well-Known Member

Already have a set of FT dinos and wasn't planning on starting a 2nd set (one for bot and one for dino mode) .. but the prices on stomp and soar reissues at showz was way too tempting ... so I caved and picked them up. I'll wait for the other 3 dino's to hopefully be reissued in the future..

• Like Like x 3
  7. wings

wings Well-Known Member

The most current Dinobots we got is the Studio Series 86 version; if this is the trend that Hasbro is going by for them then I don’t think the Fanstoys ones really look that out of place.

8. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ***3rd Party Screwdriver Collector ONLY.!***

As someone who's on Team Gigapower (don't hate me! lol) I still think FT Dinobots in "Dino" mode can work with today's toon aesthetics (minus the Gold vs Yellow parts.) I recently had my TE01 next to GP Superator/Grimmy and in my IMHO doesn't look right by each other or as if its in the same era.
    I do hope another company takes a stab @ the Dinobots that can accommodate the whole Toon aesthetic debacle.

9. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would love a PROPER toon accurate set of Dinobots.
    Rich glossy reds and yellows, thick shiny dark grey and light grey/white paint on the bodies.
    God, they would look amazing.
    I have a full set of FansToys Dibots and they're amazing, but I can't help but think how much more spectacular they would look in proper toon colours, without chrome or gold. Honestly, FT wouldn't even have to redesign them. The underlying build and transformation is still amazing. Just mould them in quality plastic, skip the vacuum chrome and slap some glossy toon paint on them instead. Tolerances shouldn't even have to tweak much as they are already toleranced for a surface coating (chrome vs paint).
    Man would it look amazing.
    [​IMG]
    One of these days I'm going to disassemble my Scoria and give it a go custom painting. Still have Caesium if I screw it up.

• Like Like x 13
  10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I love my gold chrome. I look at my FT 'snarl' and immediately get flashbacks of opening my original g1 on Christmas. He was one of my favorite toys. I always knew the yellow was a drawing of the chrome, and I still don't think it would look quite right on an actual figure versus a screen. I could be wrong, but that's just how I feel.

• Like Like x 2
  11. wings

wings Well-Known Member

Knowing that every iteration of the Dinobots are stylized in some ways (whether it is from the official or 3p); I wonder what else is there to add to make this Stomp more 'toon' like? If I'm looking at this Stomp and the official SS86 version; generally there aren't much of a different in their looks. And there are people commenting the SS86 version is quite faithful to the toon look in the show already.

12. crdavismusic

crdavismusic The Greebler Elf

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Youtube (New):
    That is spectacular!!

13. OCDChad

OCDChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yellow instead of gold and it needs to be a lot smoother

basically take the Super 7 Ultimate style of Grimlock and make it transform

[​IMG]

14. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They really are!
    Minor/Repaint: - fantoys mp dinobots to cartoon color

The physical design is good in the broad strokes but the colours are way off Toon.
    1) replace gold chrome with glossy yellow
    2) replace silver chrome with light grey
    3) replace smokey plastic neck with yellow
    4) replace smokey plastic on legs with grey

Even more, if you want to really double down on Toon accuracy, smooth out a heap of the surface greebling and unnecessary detail and just make it all smoother and cleaner. FT's Dibots are very much in the older MP Style of half toon/half toy, and if anything, they veered a little too heavily into toy territory for some folks.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Those changes apply for all the FT Dibots. A reasonable facsimile of Toon look can be achieved by replacing the chrome and smokey plastic with proper toon colours. A proper Toon style would resculpt all the surfaces to be less detailed.
    The question is whether anyone would bother?
    I can see FansToys maybe doing a Toon re-colour of the figures with no remoulding or modification, but I'm sceptical anyone would go to the effort of full-blown Toon accurate designs. Maybe XTB, but their plate is really full and recently they seem intent on returning to their roots of sheer random QC dice rolling, so a set off 5 big bots from XTB is a recipe for disaster.

• Like Like x 1
  15. franpincho

Sure the repaint job looks good, but the molds themselves simply do not work. All that detail, god. Great for their time though, that's for sure.

Hopefully, DS or someone else takes a shot. FT doing a V2 while they are still doing reissues on the old molds seems unrealistic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. wings

wings Well-Known Member

What I'm about to say is probably going to be very unpopular...

If it is mainly on colour then there are complains to the official ones SS86 also, some asked for gold, yellow or even translucent (as the original diaclone colour). One of the example about colour is when Hasbro used off-white to represent chrome on some of their Dinobots; and I saw there are quite a number of the forum members complains about it (even though it was in the show). As to smooth out the panel lines; I guess if the official Hasbro version aren't smooth then I doubt Fanstoys would do theirs 'clean'. I think it is hard to say whether most of your points are personal preference or a toon improvement. Personally I would also like to see the panel lines being more simplified/removed but I highly doubt that would happened any time soon (as I think in general most third party companies do look up to the official available products and try to either at least match their design or to make their design even more complicated). We all agree that Hasbro is going for the full toon look nowadays however their sludge is still full of panel lines (See image below for reference). If this is the trend for the official Dinobots, I guess it would be hard to imagine Hasbro would simplify these lines that much more if they would have make this into an mp sized figure. At the moment all I see is both (Fanstoys and Hasbro) figures are not smooth like the toon.

sludge1.png
    sludge2.png

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  17. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

Oh wow. Some of you really would sacrifice a good looking display piece for more toon accuracy. That's wild! Count me out of all that jazz.

The toon accuracy crowd has already pushed things too far IMO. Hopefully the pendulum swings the other way...

• Like Like x 5
  18. OCDChad

OCDChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For some of us toon accuracy is exactly what makes it a good looking display piece.

• Like Like x 2
  19. silith210518

silith210518 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love toon accuracy but I don't like it on bigger more imposing figures like the dinobots, all that empty space will just look weird with no detailing which is what toon accuracy creates.

20. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

Right. We can all have our own preferences. That's why I said that I hope the pendulum swings the other way.

Just from a practical perspective...

What kind of yellow paint will look as good as gold? None. Yellow is a notoriously difficult color paint to work with. All of my figures with yellow paint have tons of paint errors, and yellow plastic looks like garbage.

Not to mention that chromed plastic is almost unique to transformers. You're throwing out one of the most distinctive TF visual queues for some vague sense of toon accuracy.

Not only that, but this whole idea of "toon accuracy" regarding colors is totally ridiculous in every way. It's difficult to animate metallic colors, so these colors are replaced in the cartoon. That leaves the true colors up to interpretation.

Cartoon white/grey = silver
    Cartoon yellow = gold

Further... the Cartoon was drawn based on the toys. The toys came first. Any white in the Cartoon was chrome on the toy LONG BEFORE the Cartoon was ever animated. In my view, that makes the original colors metallic.

• Like Like x 2