Fanstoys doesn't do it for me

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scurv, Jun 11, 2017.

1. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

I think this is an interesting topic.

First of all, as long as qc is good, it depends on every figure: a lot of early FT's stuff looks a bit boring to me, but (for example) Sovereign isn' boring at all. It screams Galvatron (dx9 is good too, expecially the facesculpt).

In my opinion, FT reached a very "professional" approach. All they're products are in the same ballpark designwise (well, maybe their Seaspray is the only non-toon-accurate I can remember), there are no "epic fails" in their design. With FT you can't "go wrong", they always deliver their homework ...

But at the same time, when there is competition, other companies can often give us a more interesting, and equally accurate, rappresentation of a character. It's hard to say " this FT figure is wrong", but at the same time it's just what you can expect...

When I see Quakeblast, or DX9 Blitzwing, or Giga Dinos, there's a cool/badass factor I can't find with most FT figures. They lose a bit of accuracy, but they're still very G1.

But I think that their Sovereign and Terminus are a bit different in that regard: a good balance between 80's accuracy and coolness... So even MY mileage may vary :) 

• Like Like x 3
  2. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

Right, I see !!??

So your point is... (And it is stated above)
    NO-ONE from the fandom likes DX9..

Simply because; the only thing they have going for them is being on the market first !??

• Like Like x 2
  3. sofos87

sofos87 Well-Known Member

i feel the almost the same about fanstoys, they are too G1 for me!
    i like more stylised stuff,
    the qc factor of a figure its not a prob for me if it can do its job (so for me its not a plus for fanstoys)
    i mostly dont like their paint, still too blunt for the G1 look, i love the merallic paint so im more into KFC transistor,quakeblast,Gigapower this kind of things
    and generally if gigapower had a faster production, THATS my taste of a company, their style is my thing and the paint is what i love.
    imagine gigapower, skylinx,predacons,abominus,omega supreme, isnecticons, defensor, and my dream ... Ultra magnus !!!!!!! OH taht would be godmode ! but yeah they cant get 5 dinos out properlly what can i say ..... Dream on !

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe your just not the biggest fan of G1? Aesthetics on a toy is personal preference. Just because others say a figure is a "Definitive" version of a character doesn't make it so for someone else. To me, FansToys is putting out great figures, and they nail the aesthetics of the G1 character that I want. But, I'm a big fan of the G1 cartoon. I think DX9 puts out some great toys, but aesthically they almost always miss the mark for me.

But, seriously. I never buy a figure I don't like aesthically. So neither should you. It's your money.

However, yes. You are absolutely in the minority if your spending $100's of dollars on figures you don't like. I think you have a plastic crack addiction sir, and you need to seek some professional help.

5. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't know. I feel like this is similar to the thread about MP fatigue. This is just a portion of it focusing on style i.e. cartoon colors and/or a company = FT.

If you feel "bored," chances are your just bored of the year after year of collecting Transformers and the competition between companies of who's doing it better. With so many different options, why can't you collect those items to keep your interest? We have companies up sizing, down sizing, creating figures based on IDW, G1, Beast Wars, etc.

I think its not FT or the cartoon aspect, its the size your of the TF's you feel you need to collect. LOL....Joke's start now.....If you have any other side effects, please consult your doctor immediately.

6. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

Oh should we all start a new thread about the things we don't like? Good times......

• Like Like x 1
  7. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

KFC/Xtransbots and FansToys are the last two companies that are doing the g1 style characters as they 'should have been' as opossed to '******edly cartoon' now that TT declared for that, and other companies going 'full toy'.

And to me thats what I wanted from the MP line. Yes I wanted it to have toon details but I never wanted it to be a likeness from its badly animated moments in the toon. The MP line was supposed to capture the soul of the characters and bring it out to us. They did so with some releases (Optimus, UM,Rodimus, most of the car bots,soundwave etc, despite their glarring flaws) but they are starting to fail it with Shockwave and completely lost it with Megatron and now Sunstreaker.

IDK why people say the FT line has no soul. Just look at how Fans toys did Galvatron and THAT is Galvatron to me. Same with Grimlock Skyfire and Blitzwing. Those are the characters as they were supposed to be: Loyal to their depiction on the cartoon yet not slaves to it and its badly drawn moments. To me its Megatron and Sunstreaker that have no souls. Or to be more exact they have the souls of a Japanese Lolli....

To me as long as Fanstoys keeps that balance between expectation/g1 accuracy/quality it will keep having the money that Takara doesnt want from me anymore. TT decided to go another way and their spearheads on that new way (MP36-39) have no place on my shelf, it was the high time to jump the boat for me. They made their choice, I made mine.Simple as that.

So that said OP dont feel bad. You liked a brand of product for a time and you might not like what it offers now. Jump the boat. You are in no obligation to keep buying what doesnt express you any more. After all competition exists and offers alternatives. You dont like something, buy something else. Nobody said you have to be blind to what you dont like just to be a pretentious fan boy or 'report' to anyone about it. Keep enjoying your hobby with what makes you look at your shelf and mouth "damn that looks good".

Wait to see, how good the times will be when everyone starts posting about how irrelevant every thread is. If you dont like a thread you dont have to read/be a part of it.

• Like Like x 8
  8. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

So now you ask yourself if you really want the definitive versions of these characters. That is the general fan consensus, but perhaps you're finding that that's not necessarily what you want? Perhaps you're actually looking for figures that are very reminiscent of the G1 characters but still have something different to offer?

Personally, I don't feel the same way. I still come back to my Fans Toys figures and enjoy them. I still have a fair bit of fun with Quakewave, and still absolutely adore Stomp. Maybe it has to do with these being some of the few G1 characters I'm familiar with and really liked, or maybe I just find these to be really cool robots. That said, I also enjoy my Maketoys Despotron, and would definitely like to get my hands on Contactshot. Nothing of DX9 has struck my interest so far, but Gabriel looks pretty competent, and has some things better than Fans Toys' version. (but Fans Toys also has some things better than DX9's Gabriel, and both could change between now and when they're released) I also enjoy OX's Sphinx Alternate despite the somewhat off face among a couple of other minor nitpicks.

Find whatever makes you happy and don't let yourself be dissuaded from it. It's your collection, collect what you want, not what you think you're expected to collect.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Son of Carl

Son of Carl ROCK BEATS EVERYTHING

I find that the FansToys releases fall into one of two categories, absolutely unbeatable, and meh. The releases that I'm initially excited about, I remain enamored with. And the releases that are kind of "meh", stay kind of "meh". I personally think that FansToys aesthetic only works for certain groups/characters. By the time that we got Soar, I knew all the characters that I wanted to see them do, Dinobots, Insecticons, Skyfire, and the Constructicons. I don't want to see them to do carbots. I don't want to see them do Season 3 characters(though I think that they could do an amazing Ultra Magnus). But that's just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

I just want to state that this thread title does in no way represent the majority in collecting masterpiece style transformers.

11. pilot00

I believe the TT version of UM is as good as it gets aesthetically speaking (minus the buttflap), I am not talking about articulation because its nearly non-existant. That said, if FansToys does a Magnus that looks the part and has decent articulation...I believe my Delta will have some company and it will be the most regrettable 170$ I spent in my life (upgrades and all). And I absolutely adore the thing.It just screams "wasted oportunity" all over it.

Title is absolutely fine. It nowhere implies that it represents anything but the Ops opinion. Hence the 'me' in it.

12. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Didnt hear a response on this. I myself did something that brought my collection from something i thought was getting boring to much more interesting for my taste and now i really enjoy coming home and looking at my misc shelves every day.

13. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Oh, and to help you put that spice back into your collection, it will help to include a few pics of your collection.

14. pilot00

Currious: What do you mean by "the fun-ness over time"?

15. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    It was fun for first year, then now it is boring. Or, it was fun the first day or week, then I didnt enjoy displaying or messing with them anymore.

So general answer, then comparing that to products from Takara, and other companies / product lines being collected.

16. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

It sounds silly but it essentially comes down to this.
    Trying to tell someone why you don't care for a figure is like trying to tell someone why you don't like kale. Or peas. You just don't. Personal taste.

Here's why. They just do.
    If someone sees more personality in Tryant, then that's what they see. Like finding a girl beautiful that you don't think is that pretty. Personal taste.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pilot00

You do realise you are just saying then yourself than the arguement 'doesnt have a soul' invalidates itself by value of personal taste yes?

18. Son of Carl

Son of Carl ROCK BEATS EVERYTHING

???o_O ???!

19. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

Third party brand loyalty/bashing is an interesting thing on these forums. It's the whole "you have to like what I like!" attitude. For me, I just buy what I personally like and many factors go into making a purchase including character, looks, quality, transformation, cost, and other little details that come up every now and then. I have realized that I do like a little more detailed look in my MPs. I'm still buying almost everything TT puts out, but the MP-10 style seems to align with my tastes more.

I like FT. I think they make fun, G1-esque bots. But, I don't blindly buy everything they make just because they're FT. My goal is to buy the best MP-scaled version of every character that I want. FT got my money for the Dinobots, Skyfire, Shockwave (my first 3P bot), and Hound (not super fun...but this IS Hound to me). I've owned others and sold them because they're either not fun (insections...all though they look the part) or just plain mediocre at best (their Perceptor).

So, my advice...pick and choose what fits your favorite version of that character. If FT isn't doing it for you, then look at KFC, DX9, MT, MMC, XTB, etc. The beauty of our hobby is that we have a crazy amount of options these days and there is almost something for everyone.

• Like Like x 4
  20. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I feel like the MP-only collecting trend was an interesting one... I'm noticing a growing number of collectors getting worn out on collecting what could be argued as "slavish G1 designs" in an overly-saturated third party MP market and actually switching back to Classics or even other toy lines completely. It's a shame that all these companies want a piece of the pie because while it helps keep prices competitive and give us options for other designs, it becomes a little overwhelming at times as well.

• Like Like x 1