FansProject XFire-01 Superion Appendage Add-On Kit Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by EvaleSuperion, Jul 12, 2009.

1. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just got my set today. Comments:

- The feet are beautiful. They pivot slightly to allow for more stable poses. The pegs on which the A-10's mount are a lot easier to plug in than the energon weapons that would be used for feet otherwise. Getting the feet on is a little involved, but straightfoward. The chrome pistons add some subtle bling.

Front!
    [​IMG]

Side!
    [​IMG]

Back!
    [​IMG]

Crotchshot!
    [​IMG]

- The hands requires a little more force (almost negligible) to plug in than the energon weapons. The index finger is articulated seperately from the other three fingers, and the thumb is fixed. The large gun fits very securely in an angled groove in the palm.

- The forearm bits are a little fussy. They're just barely large enough to wrap around and clip together. The plastic is fairly bendy, so don't worry a whole lot about breakage. However, it's easy to leave stretch marks; the groove for the wing pieces wants to sit about 2mm away from the wing, otherwise it'll stretch.

Can't plug in guns on the landing gear side.
    [​IMG]

Front!
    [​IMG]

Eww stretch marks!
    [​IMG]

- The other weapons (4 forearm guns, 2 shin guns) are very easy to plug it securely. The forearm guns can only plug into the side of the arm opposite the landing gear due to spacing issues. This limited how you can have the arm configured- if you keep the arms like how we've seen them in the promo images, you'll have no problems.

- Overall: Clearly a lot of work went into detailing the armor. The plastic is about what you're used to if you have any of the Commander molds. The forearms are a little difficult to work with, but once they're on they look fantastic. The kit definitely makes the base figure look a lot more robust and complete. 8/10.

Not Superion!
    [​IMG]

2. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

got mine yesterday, it is expensive but worth it in my opinion...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    gonna try to pick this up at comic con

4. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got mine yesteday. no white stress marks wahtsoever on the forearms bit. it might take awhile for us to figure out how some of the parts fit here & there, but the end result is totally worth it imo.

My gripes for this kit, it's a little pricy & the plastic parts used are little on the thin side but I've no regrets buying it. :) 

5. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Can someone who has Bruticus say if the upgrade kit will be compatible with him? Debating getting one for him too when I get him...

6. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

This kit will only work with the Superion limbs. The bruticus and Devastator limbs are COMPLETELY different. None of the FP parts will fit on the limbs from the other 2

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool. I was wondering how Superion Nexus would look. It's okay. . . You get hands and feet but you lose the unique molds and the "glow" of the energon weapons. You also lose the five different molds appeal. And the fast pack has no place to go in alt mode. If I do decide to get this I'll keep it with my energon superion.

I do like how the blaster match skyfall though.

8. process

News Credits:
    Yea, a fair amount of compromise went into that little experiment. Most of it was just wanting to try something different, and not being totally satisfied with the ROTF Superion set. Silverbolt's floppy waist/thighs and the color scheme put me off, not to mention some sticky paint and other nitpicks. (Although admittedly, I like the appearance of Silverbolt's torso in combined mode a lot better than Heatwave's; it "blends" into the arms and proportionally works a little better in my opinion.)

Incidentally, Topspin and Landquake weren't appealing to me in combined mode, so I didn't have a huge problem removing them from my Nexus whateverhisnameis. I was pleasantly surprised by the way Heatwave's feet can act as kneecaps over Skyfall (they do kind of click into place securely), and how the clear blue shin guards matched with the other clear blue/purpleish parts throughout the figure.

And it might be worth mentioning that the kit's foot pieces and gun can actually attach to Heatwave's alt. mode: the pegs on his upper thighs (the gun can them be plugged into the heel of one of the feet). It's not as convincing as where they would attach of Silverbolt, but it you could read it as an augmented SAM launcher.

[​IMG]

Anyway..

9. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Gawd, TFSource and BBTS still show no signs of receiving theirs in yet. Definitely going to go with Toy Arena (Thomas) in the future. I bet he already had these at his booth at the weekly Frank & Sons Collector show here in Southern California.

10. EvaleSuperion

EvaleSuperion Banned

News Credits:
    lol he has had it for two weeks now, thats who I got mine from.

11. EvaleSuperion

EvaleSuperion Banned

News Credits:
    Wanted to share a pic :) 

[​IMG]

12. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Dammmmn! I feel like a total tool for not buying them from Thomas. He's practically in my "backyard" too.

I ordered 3 sets from TFSource and their website still says June 2009. LOL

13. EvaleSuperion

EvaleSuperion Banned

News Credits:
    You probably paying more for it too, I think hes selling it for just $50 if you pick it up in person. Saves you on the shipping

If you are buds with him you probably get it even cheaper!

14. Spoon

Spoon Banned

So, do his shoulders no longer have lateral movement?

15. process

News Credits:
    Correct, if you transform the arms the way Fansproject's promotional images have them shown. If you transform the arms with the cockpits pointing down (my Nexus above has this mode, as do others in the Cool Stuff thread), you can maintain a full range of motion.

16. Pikachu_King

Pikachu_King Well-Known Member

Of course, some may see the ball joints that were the hips of the arm pieces as the new lateral motion. Which is probably sturdier(though that depends purely on QC) than the energon connector joints (at least on mine, which has the joints too tight, and the connector too loose).

17. process

News Credits:
    Good point. It really comes down to personal preference and, like you said, how tight the individual joints are.

18. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Yeah, Thomas is cool to deal with for sure. :thumbs2: 

I just picked up from him last night and he's always stocked with the new stuff.

I just bought the Superion Add-On Kit, Henkei Prime and DIA Commander and his prices are so good that I don't even haggle with him... OK maybe sometimes I do... but the economy sucks, what can I say? :rolleyes2 

Anyways...

The Superion kit was a hassle putting it together and even after it was assembled I had an issue with arranging Superion in a position that I would like to have him displayed.

The legs were too bulky causing Superion to have its legs spread apart a bit too much than I would have preferred.

30 minutes had passed after trying to get Superion in the right pose and for some reason I could not appreciate what I just purchased, so I went to bed.

In the morning getting ready for work, I looked at Superion again and then it hit me... This Add-On kit ROCKS!

This is a truly amazing design that enhances the aesthetics of the figure!

If you have the means... BUY IT!

That's all I can say for now.

19. EvaleSuperion

EvaleSuperion Banned

News Credits:
    You guys get your Upgrade kits from TFSource or BBTS yet?

20. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Not yet, and the wait is ridiculous.