FansProject Function X-03 Smart Robin (not-Brainstorm)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Mkall, Jan 23, 2013.

1. RickyLeeSTF

RickyLeeSTF Copper Age Collector

News Credits:
    Ha! Exactly. I dunno what the hell some of you want... Animated? Prime?

These are all G1 aesthetic. Moreso mid to late 80's Japanese G1 aesthetic. I realize a good number of you weren't alive then, but most of Fansproject's offerings are meant to pull the old guys like me in and keep us coming back for more.

I have no clue what a face plate or a briefcase(?) would do to make this piece any more incredible. They're giving me what I want and that is amazing toys that look like they jumped out of Toei's line art for The Headmasters series.

2. Grimkid

Grimkid Well-Known Member

Agreed ^
    For us old bastards, THIS is full of win and I can't wait to get it! My only problem with these epic 3rd party figures is all the reprolables I gotta buy haha WHAT A WASTE

3. Aerros1

Aerros1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Both of you are letting a "10 cent" piece of plastic keep you from buying what's probably gonna be a great toy. Your opinion is that if you don't get what you want from a company you feel they are throwing an FU at the fans. Sounds pretty entitled to me.

Would I have liked the option of masked or unmasked Sure. Am I upset enough not to buy it. Nah. Can't wait till this hits my pile of loot.

4. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Oh I'm still going to buy it. But bitching about the faceplate is cathartic.

5. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Boo hoo about the faceplate. Still buying it and going to have fun transforming it. Now I just need TFSource to get this and Fortis in stock so I can ship my stack!

6. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    That alt mode is absolutely gorgeous. I don't have UUUU yet as I'm waiting on SR, but I think I like SR the best out of the 3.

This line is FP's best so far imo.

7. Tom-1

Tom-1 Well-Known Member

If this came out in '84 and someone like Prowl or Ironhide came out later on, you'd say they were the ones that had nothing unique or memorable to them. It's just nostalgia messing with your brain.

Tom

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Someone messed up a we bit to be more accurate to the USA Cartoon and toy it needs to be Green/teal and have a face plate and to be accurate to the Japanese show it needs to be pale blue and have a mouth.

That said a blu-green body makes more sense overall over wise your stepping on the toes of two of his team mates when one of the others is green and the other is Blue already.

I like the Toyworld ones size face and robot mode and the FP ones vehicle mode - I can see some situations where either one size or the other might be useful so i guess it's the best idea to just buy both.

9. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

To me it comes down to this...

I buy figures for the most part, because of the characters they represent. How the head looks is a big part of that.

Hasbro recently realised this, and a large number of their repaints include different heads, because a different head makes it look like a different character.

To me this figure looks like a repurposing of a mold. Brainstorm came first, then this with a different head. It doesn't look like the character I want it to represent.

Is it annoying that it doesn't come with a faceplate? Yes

Is it worse that we as a fandom are expected to preorder a figure before we know even roughly what colours it will be and the features it will have? Too bloody right.

10. Tecrom Designs

Tecrom Designs Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Man that an awesome looking figure. From a design stand point, the best out of the three pictured, "BY FAR." Will definitely have to pre-order. Great job FP.

11. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

I'm close to that magic fourth decade and would like to respectfully disagree with you. I think that FP has a very stylised, anime-like aesthetic that doesn't hit the G1 spot for me. It's kind of why I sold off my Protector and Colossus and don't buy their stuff anymore. I'm certainly not saying FP is wrong to have their own in-house style or that people can't like it. Just my 2 cents on the Geewun-ness of their look.

If I were going to consider buying this, I'd definitely want the faceplate option. Not in the least because the final face is really creeping me out!

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I actually like their stuff because it's not too G1. I love 3rd party stuff to be creative.

13. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

Yup, yup. It's good to have choices. I was just pointing out to RickyLeeSTF my differing opinion on how G1 FP's stuff is. Looks like you and me are in agreement that the answer is "not very" :) 

I'm really hoping some other big-name 3P tackles the Headmasters in a concerted fashion. And while I'm not buying the FP stuff, they get props for at least being consistent in expanding their line of not-Headmasters. They got what - Weirdwolf, Mindwipe, Chromedome, Brainstorm and Skullcruncher (albeit in some weird OP colours) in the works/released? That's cool.

14. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I think the main color is spot-on. (note who just said that)

It's a big part of the reason I cancelled my order for UUUU and am very likely going to get this guy instead.

15. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More like old and played out. But there will always be something someone will find the need to complain about, heh.

16. Generation Zero

Generation Zero Masterpeace

Twitter:
    Great body sculpt, yes it would have been nice to see him with a face plate but it's not a deal breaker for me. Third party designs are impressing me more and more.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The gator op colors were just them messing around. It was based on the gator made out of optimus' torso from City of Steel.

18. robwhit1

robwhit1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would have preferred a face plate but that does not change how great this figure is. I will be glad to have him either way. Besides, if it is a simple change, someone will release a shapeways replacement. If not we will probably see a 3P replacement head. Seems like we have a lot of options catering to TF fans wants right now.

19. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    I'll be getting him despite the lack of face plate. All I can say about that is "calling Dr. Wu!"

20. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Total shenanigans CybertronianFan! Everyone complaining, about everyone complaining about the faceplate are wrong. The whole reason Third Parties exist is because the fanbase needed upgrade parts for already crappy HasTak figures. And then that morphed into figures we either didn't get or got poor versions of. So everyone has a right to complain it's moving toys in a better direction. If you love Smart Robin great, it's clearly a well done figure no one is saying otherwise or slapping him out of your mouth. I am sure I will get him but damn I want a faceplate someone will hear the incessant whining and make it.

If this could only work the same for the movies....