FansProject Crossfire 02 and Quake (Bruticus and mini Shockwave) Review

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by LazyAza, Apr 23, 2013.

1. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is a more extensive version of my post recently made in the thread for this set. As initially stated I never owned/saw the original so this is an entirely new encounter for me with it and thus I won't be comparing to the original at all.

My expectation for the set was one of being very hopeful for and very hyped as I missed out on getting the first and always felt I should have bit the bullet and done so. After getting this though I'm glad I waited and I'm glad closer to finally obtaining it I lowered my expectations somewhat. This is still the best version of Bruticus by far, but it has a number of flaws.

[​IMG]
    I love how the various weapons separate and become upgrades for the individual figures in both modes, one of the best parts of this set.

[​IMG]
    Windows are painted on not a sticker btw. I really like Blastoff's muted green base color, nicer than the original black version imo. In robot mode he's just a little floppy here and there, shoulder panels could be tighter, back jet cone could sit tighter but eh he stands well and poses well so that's all that really matters I guess. Mine did however come with quite a loose left wing, the biggest QC issue I have with my set, it doesn't destroy the bot/arm modes for him but it's kind of annoying it is the way it is at all, given how long this set was delayed QC should have been way higher.

[​IMG]
    My crummy lighting made him look more yellow, he's actually more orange though a very light shade. Swindle overall is fantastic, no issues at all, stands great, looks great, functions just fine in all 3 modes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The individual figures are great once they're all equiped except for Onslaught who certainly has issues and is little more than a static brick with guns attached in robot mode, slight movements and he'll fall over or apart.

The problem I discovered (which apparently isn't new at all) is that the Bruticus head makes transforming Onslaught to vehicle mode impossible, robot mode ends up with the truck part just hanging due to this. Could force it but the way the head is shaped/sized the antenae will likely snap off if this is done. Not sure how they could have fixed this. I love how the Brut head looks but I kinda wish it had the same transforming "ear" gimmick as the stock one. It's also very hard to get off once attached so be warned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BRUTICUS

He's a very nice looking gestalt and although the set makes him far more posible than the stock setup I feel as though almost every part and piece of the upgrade is only just holding on since most of them are just holding on with friction and a lot of it seems like it will get stressed and loose over time. Blastoff and Swindle function well enough but between the loose wing and the loose forearm piece for vortex minor gripes end up stacking up.

In regards to Bruticus' issues:
    - Back guns don't peg on to Onslaught without intense force, slight adjustments like removing/adding shotguns, moving the gun barrels etc make it pop off the left shoulder nub. Easy enough to reattach but having to do so more often than not means you want wanna touch the backpack ever sadly.
    - The forearm part that slides on Vortex doesn't hold in place, remains on due to gravity alone, raising Bruticus arm at any angle where it can fall off, it will. Not sure why they couldn't have made it tighter or clip on somehow.

All the Takara United bots are fine otherwise, wonderful QC with them.

FP QUAKE
    Now as for the worst of the worst lets talk about Quakewave, aka this mini Shockwave people are tripping over themselves for.

[​IMG]

Number 1 issue: cannot be held by Bruticus without very specific finger positioning, even when done he remains quite loose. This is due to the way the grip was molded, it presses away from the palm because its too thick and the "rail" comes off the ridge in Bruts hand.

The left arm which acts as the magazine in gun mode also is in the way of the index finger and prevents it from wrapping around the grip tightly, adding too the looseness.

In robot mode he has a super loose left shoulder peg joint, mine doesn't peg on at all and the left arm kind just sits there due to the friction from its swivel joint alone, seems like it may get much looser over time. His tiny hand loves to pop off easily too when transforming so be careful.

His legs also could be less loose as they love to pop off the ball joints when transforming, thigh swivels too tight and makes this worse. Sure am glad I didn't buy the set for him and certainly wouldn't recommend buying him standalone unless you get lucky with QC and never intend to do much with him. He's ok for display, terrible for anything else.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall I'm satisfied yet disappointed, was expecting much higher overall QC with the set in general given its rerelease nature but it seems FP did nothing at all. And Quakewave being as bad as he is on top of the rest of the QC issues makes me wonder what the freaking heck took this set so god damn long. I thought delays were for improving a product. >_<

I wouldn't say people should regret their purchases, this set is still one of the better 3p products on the market but its clearly more of a display piece than anything else as many elements of its playability are very hampered, even compared to FP's modern products.

Final Verdict:
    If you want a gestalt that looks really cool get him, if you prefer your tfs be easy to pick up and mess with and not fall apart or come loose when you do then maybe try not to let the hype get to ya and wait patiently for another better version of Bruticus to come around. He's popular enough its only a matter of time until this happens imo.

2. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FYI, the gestalt feet have ankle tilts. From your pix it seems like you're not quite using them, but it may be the angle

There was a post a while back that showed where to shave on your Onslaught's shoulders to allow them to rotate a little further and make fitment of the FP Colossus backpack better.

I also highly recommend Soundwave3k's custom heads for Brawl, Vortex, and Onslaught.

I'll be keeping the United set in combined mode and the ROTF set individually

3. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah I know about the ankle tilts they aren't required when hes standing straight.

Sure would be cool if that backpack stayed on way easier, seems the left onslaught arm not quite being as centered as the right is what dislodges it.

Anyway here's some more pics of him:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Onslaught is fully transformable with the head attached. You just have to carefully guide the antennae into the fist holes as you close up the cab.

The real issue is that the new head prevents the backpack from closing up fully in robot mode.

5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    color wise the United set may be most G1 accurate...but damn he looks so bland like that! Great set otherwise!

6. jayman118

jayman118 Well-Known Member

I really want to see this version with MT yellow giant, was supposed to get the yellow to go with this one. but hey tnx for the review and pictures with green giant as it gives me what to expect. I just hoped it arrives here locally, or my set is doom.

Edit: btw if you have more time could you do more pictures shuffling the other extra limbs? thx man,

7. zebramatt

zebramatt Well-Known Member

I'm sure I heard there was a solution to the too-tight gun mounting on Onslaught's alt mode.

8. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah I've heard that twice now, spent a little while on google trying to find a thread or video on it but no luck. Might have to figure it out myself, hoping it requires little more than a bit of plastic shaving.

You mean the stock blastoff/swindle I take it? mkay I'll do some now while I'm not busy n post in a few mins.

9. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can you do some comparisons between ROTF Onslaught, and Energon Barricade with the limbs?

11. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I own neither sorry. You can get a good idea of the color differences just by googling pics though since their is obviously no scale differences =)

12. jayman118

jayman118 Well-Known Member

It actually looks good bro thnx!

13. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I **JUST** got my Bruticus set and assembled him, so I'll comment on your observations!

Thankfully, my Blastoff is nice and tight all around. I experienced none of the floppiness you experienced.

As you said, known problem and mine is too. That's just a matter of course and is a problem with how Onslaught was designed in the first place.

Haven't tried. Will do so when I get back from work.

Same as mine. Doesn't feel quite as bad but yeah, I wonder if I can do something to fix that.

Mine is the exact opposite. I'm using the Energon limbs, and mine slides on rather tightly. I actually have to put just a bit of work to pull it off the forearm. Perhaps there's an issue with mold degradation or a QC error on the limb you're using?

Mine goes on Bruticus' hand VERY well, and with just a basic positioning of the fingers to look like he's actually shooting a gun, he's stable and doesn't want to fall off. As I type this I'm jiggling Quake in the hand to simulate stuff like moving the figure around, as well as moving the arm about in an effort to pose him, and Quake is not falling off.

Thankfully, I experienced none of these issues either. I'm VERY happy with Quake, and although he isn't the reason why I got this set, I still love it very very much.

The only QC issue I seem to have is that one of the gun barrels on his backpack was glued crooked. I'm **EXTREMELY** anal about properly positioned gun barrels, so this is unacceptable for me. I'm going to try to cut the thing off and reposition it in the proper manner a bit later today.

I'll also get pics of mine since I'm using the Energon Onslaught and limbs, and I'll do that when I get off work also.

One last thing is that I think it's HILARIOUS that the instructions and the color photos still use the ROTF and 1st release Munitioner and Explorer colors. I figured that with whole new packaging, a new release with new colors that Fansproject would update the instructions too. Not a knock, as such an update is really unnecessary, but still funny regardless.

14. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The instructions didn't need updating for the sake of a recolor due to no mold retooling or changes so I actually expected it.

But yeah I reckon I just got incredibly unlucky with my set, especially Quake. He's ok if I just leave him standing, got him sitting on Bruts shoulder now. But I generally am the sort of collector who likes picking up and messing around with their figs frequently so its always a pet peeve of mine when one is floppy or fragile or doesn't peg right or whatever.

Out of curiosity do you have your Quake in the left or right hand? because mine pegs on fine in the right but terribly in the left (the hand I was referring to in my review).

Luckily I have a second set on the way and it should hopefully be in much better condition.

In regards to the back guns I managed to figure out why mine was popping off so much, the arms on Onslaught have to be straight as possible so giving them a nice good squeeze in to place to get them just a tad more centered really helps.

15. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Left hand. I think Quake looks better in the left, but he fits in the right hand for mine as well.

16. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
  17. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oooh Peaugh vids in my thread? I am honored good sir. I shall look forward to watching them once my internet download cap resets next week. Ironically I think one of your past vids was the last thing I was watching before I went over this month haha.

Regarding the set itself a number of the issues I had with mine I've resolved. I can get Quake to stay in both Brut hands now, seems the index finger is what makes him pop off if you don't get it angled right, still wish they'd molded the grip better though so the fingers didn't need to be managed so specifically.

Backpack cannons stay in place when I make sure Onslaughts arms are well squeezed together, still likes to pop off every now and then if I'm messing around with Brut too much. But oh well can't be helped, those energon figs are pretty old molds now so I guess flaws are to be expected at this stage.

I am still puzzled why the arm guard that goes on my Vortex's legs doesn't hold on at all really, kinda just sits. People have told me theirs are nice n snug but mine isn't =(

Overall though man do I love this set. I can only hope if we ever get a completely new Bruticus form someone its as good if not better than FP's upgrade.

18. Bobobear786

Bobobear786 New Member

Vortex forearm problem

Think I had the same problem you've described with the forearm. What was needed is to just turn each individual leg of Vortex 180 degrees. Then the forearm slides on real snug.

19. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No that doesn't work at all, in fact makes it much worse as the arm guard doesn't sit properly without the ridges and falls off completely, not to mention even if it did work you'd lose half the "elbow" articulation.

On my first bruticus set the issue is literally a matter of friction between the guard and vortex's legs not being tight enough while my second set doesn't have the same issue.

20. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    Got mine today. It feels cheaper overall. Blast Off is full of stress marks. The little Shockwave does nothing for me as I already have a WST Shockwave.